News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why Atheist organize

Started by Darkpassenger, September 28, 2010, 08:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkpassenger

Hello All I am working on a project and i am looking to get the Top 10 or more reasons why we Atheists organize. Feel free to post 1 or more reasons why, Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

dloubet

Well, one good reason is that we might not trust theist politicians to look after the interests of atheists.

DropLogic

Theists use church and the voting booth to organize.  
Atheists have no such platform.  I feel that there are millions of closet atheists out there, who are too afraid of personal and professional ridicule to make their lack of belief known.  Sadly, polls have proven that admitting one is an atheist is political suicide...the irony makes me squirm, but then sad.  We need Thomas Jefferson 2.0, and we need to vote our own people in.

Maybe I have been missing out.  Do atheists actually get together in real life to discuss things?

Darkpassenger

Quote from: "DropLogic"Maybe I have been missing out.  Do atheists actually get together in real life to discuss things?

Yes they do, There are hundreds if not thousands of meet up groups out there across the world. I am apart of several meet up groups in my area.  

If you are looking for a meet up group near you Try  http://www.meetup.com/

DropLogic

The Magic Pudding

A shared interest.
Shared outrage.
Shared hope.
Shared humour.

Support for those damaged by religion.
Plot and scheme to have minions of Satan rule all nations, bwa ha ha ha.

Whitney

Quote from: "DropLogic"Do atheists actually get together in real life to discuss things?

Why would you think they don't when they already like to get together and discuss things in all sorts of spots all over the net?

Darkpassenger

wow I have gotten some really great responses so far thank you all for giving your input.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "DropLogic"Do atheists actually get together in real life to discuss things?

Why would you think they don't when they already like to get together and discuss things in all sorts of spots all over the net?
The net is a wonderful medium for anonymous communication; a place without fear of backlash in personal and professional life.  I happen to live in one of the most religious/zealous parts of the country.  I live 4 miles from a city with the most religious centers per sq mile than anywhere on planet Earth.  Some might say, "So move asshole."  Life is not as simple as we wish.  
I was invited to an after work party shortly after asking my wife to marry me.  One of the dept heads, my boss, and his boss the director of my dept, had been made aware of my then recent engagement.  They said their congratulations, and then proceeded to ask me if I was excited to move in with my wife after the wedding.  
With a bit of hesitation I explained that we had lived together since college, ~6 years up to that point.  
All three were taken aback for a moment.  I could see my director searching for a polite way to satisfy his confusion at this development.  He simply asked what church I went to, to which I replied, "none".  
Since that day almost two years ago, I have not received a raise.  I have been passed over for promotion twice, and I was recently moved to another department altogether.  If I appear gun shy to making my lack of belief public knowledge, this is one of a few reasons.

deekayfry

Quote from: "DropLogic"
Quote from: "Whitney"

The net is a wonderful medium for anonymous communication; a place without fear of backlash in personal and professional life.  I happen to live in one of the most religious/zealous parts of the country.  I live 4 miles from a city with the most religious centers per sq mile than anywhere on planet Earth.  Some might say, "So move asshole."  Life is not as simple as we wish.  
I was invited to an after work party shortly after asking my wife to marry me.  One of the dept heads, my boss, and his boss the director of my dept, had been made aware of my then recent engagement.  They said their congratulations, and then proceeded to ask me if I was excited to move in with my wife after the wedding.  
With a bit of hesitation I explained that we had lived together since college, ~6 years up to that point.  
All three were taken aback for a moment.  I could see my director searching for a polite way to satisfy his confusion at this development.  He simply asked what church I went to, to which I replied, "none".  
Since that day almost two years ago, I have not received a raise.  I have been passed over for promotion twice, and I was recently moved to another department altogether.  If I appear gun shy to making my lack of belief public knowledge, this is one of a few reasons.

:shake:
I told the people of my district that I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but if not ... you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.-  Davey Crockett, 1834

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Tanker

So I gotta ask, are you really an atheist? I ask becasue we get many students doings "studies" or "Projects" however they have always been Theists before usually Christians. Now if you are not an Atheist thats fine I'd just rather not be lied to. We like all kinds here however we have just had issues with theists doing similar "projects" in the past usually they have trouble following the rule and end up ruining it for everyone who has the same IP adress.

To answer your question (partialy) there are many Atheist groups for many reasons however the VAST majority aren't part of any Atheist related group at all. In fact organisingAtheists has often been compared with herding cats. It's  very difficult to get most people to want to be a part of a group or get enthused for a group that is the equivilent of a "Santa isn't real club", or "Unicorns are make believe group".

If you are an Atheist welcome and I'm sorry for the akward question I'm a bit skeptical about posts like yours been burned to many times by people whowant to evangakise or tell me I'm going to suffer becasue I think for myself. In this case at worst Ive offended you at best made myself seem foolish.

If however you are a Christian (or other theist) welcome however, lying for Christ....really? Think that's what he would have wanted? You could at least live by the "good" rules as long as your using that book to tell right from wrong.

My $.02...and then some.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Darkpassenger

Quote from: "Tanker"So I gotta ask, are you really an atheist? I ask becasue we get many students doings "studies" or "Projects" however they have always been Theists before usually Christians. Now if you are not an Atheist thats fine I'd just rather not be lied to. We like all kinds here however we have just had issues with theists doing similar "projects" in the past usually they have trouble following the rule and end up ruining it for everyone who has the same IP adress.

To answer your question (partialy) there are many Atheist groups for many reasons however the VAST majority aren't part of any Atheist related group at all. In fact organisingAtheists has often been compared with herding cats. It's  very difficult to get most people to want to be a part of a group or get enthused for a group that is the equivilent of a "Santa isn't real club", or "Unicorns are make believe group".

If you are an Atheist welcome and I'm sorry for the akward question I'm a bit skeptical about posts like yours been burned to many times by people whowant to evangakise or tell me I'm going to suffer becasue I think for myself. In this case at worst Ive offended you at best made myself seem foolish.

If however you are a Christian (or other theist) welcome however, lying for Christ....really? Think that's what he would have wanted? You could at least live by the "good" rules as long as your using that book to tell right from wrong.

My $.02...and then some.

No I am definitively an Atheist I even got my Own Facebook Page to prove it http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/The-evolved-Atheist/115838668458057?ref=mf . I completely understand and your post made me laugh so thanks for that. I am working on a power point for A theist Friend of mine that got me pissed off after a debate we were having. He is the typical I am a strong believer in god(the Jewish one) But I don't follow any of my beliefs and there must be a god because how else could we have gotten here. Ya That Guy!!!

So I asked him if he would like to learn about Atheists and Atheism Because I said he clearly knew nothing about either And his persistent ignorant arguments were irritating. Here is one and I Quote "Atheists is a Religion". So I have been Working on this project for a few days now and just wanted to get some material directly form the source so here I am. The Power point is Titled "A" Theists Guided to understanding Atheists And Atheism, When it is done I will post it here and If anyone is interested I could use a proofread in the meantime.

Whitney

If it helps, here is what we came up with for theists who visit HAF:

For Theists What is an Atheist: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=830

Theists: Guidelines for a smooth discussion:  viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92

If any of it is helpful I don't mind if you copy it since it's for personal use; most of it is borrowed from elsewhere anyway.

SerpentKiller

We organize so that we don't feel alone.  Now we just need to hold meetings, maybe on Wednesdays to be original

OdisBDilligaf

Quote from: "SerpentKiller"We organize so that we don't feel alone.  Now we just need to hold meetings, maybe on Wednesdays to be original

wednesday is no good for me.