News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Can an Atheist get into heaven

Started by VallartaPete, September 23, 2010, 10:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freethinkermommy

I have no interest of going to the heaven of any god/God who places belief in him/herself over the life lived by that person.

If somehow, and by somehow I mean that 0.000000001% chance that an omnipotent all powerful God exists complete with a heaven and a hell "realm" (sorry I'm giggling just entertaining the possibility) it seems to me that if belief in him or her trumps everything else and is a major deciding factor in entering heaven, then I want no part in that. I have lived a good and moral life. Better by a long shot than most christians I know. I have known them to do deplorable things, and many are hateful bigots. Hate in their hearts, rotten through and through as far as I can tell. If they are going to get into heaven simply because they believe even though they are nasty people, I want no part of it and I don't want to live there in eternity with them. Send me to hell with some like minded people. At least I'll have better company.

Asmodean

Quote from: "freethinkermommy"If somehow, and by somehow I mean that 0.000000001% chance that an omnipotent all powerful God exists
Methink you missed a few zeros... How about 1x10^-34..?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "freethinkermommy"If somehow, and by somehow I mean that 0.000000001% chance that an omnipotent all powerful God exists
1^100^1000
A giggity google..

Asmodean

Quote from: "DropLogic"
Quote from: "Asmodean"
1^100^1000
A giggity google..
That there is like... ONE. (1^(10^5)=1)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "VallartaPete"Now clearly I am an Atheist but I am one who says I could be wrong ... .001% chance of it BUT it is not a chance worth getting anyones panties in a bunch over.

I do however get into discussion on FB with hard nosed Christians about that .001% chance.

The question is more for me to throw it back at them as to defer the argument. And maybe get under their skin.
I realize you are not looking for an answer from a Christian, but answers you can throw back.  What is of interest to me is actual Christians that may have you believe that an Atheist has a chance of getting to heaven.  It's clear from the only written connection we have (we believe) from God, that there is only one way to get to heaven and that is through belief (putting faith, trust and our lives) in Christ and His death as payment for our sin.  So it is, in light of this, impossible for a non-believer to get into heaven.  God being omnipotent can't even go against His own law.  IMHO, the Christian you are in discussion with on FB or otherwise, really has little idea what they are promoting.

Tanker

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"God being omnipotent can't even go against His own law.

Then omnipotent is not the right descriptor. Either you have the power to do anything or you don't.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Tanker"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"God being omnipotent can't even go against His own law.

Then omnipotent is not the right descriptor. Either you have the power to do anything or you don't.
True...but I'm sure you've heard that the Christian God is limited by His nature in what His power can do.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"It's clear from the only written connection we have (we believe) from God, that there is only one way to get to heaven and that is through belief (putting faith, trust and our lives) in Christ and His death as payment for our sin.  So it is, in light of this, impossible for a non-believer to get into heaven.  

Very well, count me out; your god is not credible at all.

Say, we already have a fire, so I'll bring some marinaded steaks.  Who's bringing the beer and chips?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"

True...but I'm sure you've heard that the Christian God is limited by His nature in what His power can do.

Who says this?  What is the basis of this scholarship?  What research has been conducted?  

In short, who knows a goddamned thing about your god?  

No, I mean knows.  Not thinks.

Tanker

What limits would those be? Depending on the verse, or book, or chapter he's either either the most insane, blood thirsty, vengfull, hatful, murdering, vain sociopath imaginable or the source of all peace and love and goodness in the universe. Considering the absolutly polar oposits that been atributed to him any limits are self imposed and not regulated by anything. So again either omnipotent or not there is no grey area. "He's good because he's good" is not a good argument.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"In short, who knows a goddamned thing about your god?  

To know is to be God.

Quote from: "Tanker"What limits would those be?
I cannot assume what limits He gives or has for Himself outside of our dimension, but the same limits I put on myself that I don't go out and start a killing spree of family, friends and strangers.  I'm not the murdering type.  The analogy ends there.

In no way am I an expert in debate on these matters, but I can give you my opinion/belief.  Do I have absolute proof?  No, if I did, you wouldn't be an Atheist.  :)

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"In short, who knows a goddamned thing about your god?  

To know is to be God.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by the words "know" and "god".

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

To know is to be God.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by the words "know" and "god".

You were asking about my God weren't you?

madness

Wait, wait, wait.  I swear I thought I was one of those "knowing" atheists that had an inkling about Christianity.  Are you (Jac and Animated) really saying that all you have to do it say "there's no place like..., I mean, I believe in Jesus" three times and you get into Heaven?  Even if you then go around killing babies (which of course is condoned in the Bible)?  I thought you had to repent or something?  Maybe I'm thinking Catholicism.

So...the worst hideous sinners (who happen to believe in Jesus) get into Heaven but even a person born of a remote village who has never heard of Jesus but only does good their entire life gets to burn in hell?  Holy crap, you've got to be kidding me.  I always thought those were straw man sort of arguments against Christianity.  But apparently those are REAL Christian opinions.  I'm going back to live under my atheist rock now.  Makes more sense down here.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "madness"Wait, wait, wait.  I swear I thought I was one of those "knowing" atheists that had an inkling about Christianity.  Are you (Jac and Animated) really saying that all you have to do it say "there's no place like..., I mean, I believe in Jesus" three times and you get into Heaven?  Even if you then go around killing babies (which of course is condoned in the Bible)?  I thought you had to repent or something?  Maybe I'm thinking Catholicism.

So...the worst hideous sinners (who happen to believe in Jesus) get into Heaven but even a person born of a remote village who has never heard of Jesus but only does good their entire life gets to burn in hell?  Holy crap, you've got to be kidding me.  I always thought those were straw man sort of arguments against Christianity.  But apparently those are REAL Christian opinions.  I'm going back to live under my atheist rock now.  Makes more sense down here.

LOL...sometimes it seems like that's what Christianity is saying.  It seems Jac and I differ on details, but probably not the broad scheme of things.  While Jac may believe an Atheist can get into heaven, his position is what is termed in Christian circles, "Once Saved, Always Saved".  I believe in OSAS, however there is a small caveat that I hold to that Jac doesn't by his first post here in this thread.  I believe one can, just as one chooses to believe and so be saved, so can you change your mind and reject salvation after you've accepted.  The factor that determines this is simply your heart.  If you whole-heartedly accept, the gift of life is given.  If you accept and then have your mind changed and whole-heartedly reject God, He will abide by your wishes.  "I stand at the door and knock..."  Christ is a gentleman and only goes and stays where He is welcome.

While it is true that one only needs to believe/put faith in Christ, the Bible is clear that true belief or true faith has evidence and that faith alone is useless.  Faith/belief come first...and the declaration of righteousness through Christ is given at that moment.  However, given that very few people die the moment after they confess faith/belief in Christ as Lord and Savior, their life then must show evidence of that true faith/belief.  The most important evidence is love.  Loving enemies and praying for those who persecute you.  (loving doesn't mean liking nor does it mean trusting), "Love does no harm to its neighbor.  Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

We are never perfect or worthy of God's love and therefore salvation, but when we have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior, we are covered by His goodness that IS worthy.

Quote from: "madness"then go around killing babies (which of course is condoned in the Bible)?
That is debatable, but not for this thread.