News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Double Dip Recession

Started by jduster, September 18, 2010, 02:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jduster

For those who don't know a double dip is when a recession gets worse all of the sudden (a.k.a. a "W"-shaped recession) like the U.S. had in the 1980's.

Assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens, I would say a double dip is unlikely, though continued stagnation is somewhat likely in my view as the economy needs high growth, unlike the low growth we have now, after suffering from millions of job losses.  A potential problem is if taxes are increased while the government stimulus wears off, it could keep the economy stagnant.

Your view?

Asmodean

I'd say it's very unlikely. Something like that does, actually, take some doing.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sophus

I read something about the possibility earlier but I'm still going to say very unlikely. Why? I read it on FOX News.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

I'm seeing evidence of growth in the architecture and mechanical industries so I'm going with somewhat unlikely...I would say very unlikely but I don't know anything about this crap and have tended to be too optimistic in my predictions; just along for the ride.

The Magic Pudding

September 15, 2010
Quotethe US dollar fell, on talk the Federal Reserve will buy as much as US$1 trillion worth of government bonds in a bid to bolster the economy.
Last time this was done the Chinese expressed concern for their investments, and have been selling $US for a while.
I heard this pre-empted this time through accusations the Chinese are keeping their currency artificially low.
I don't know what's going to happen, I'm not optimistic about the US, I guess it will continue to bump along as it is.
A lower $ will hopefully help more than it hurts.

Thumpalumpacus

I think it'll either be stagnant a la 90s Japan, or will slide deeper and thus be a DD.  Now that the incentives have expired, housing sales are down, slowing down credit flow.
Illegitimi non carborundum.