News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Meta-consciousness.

Started by Quan Yin, September 25, 2010, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notself

Do you only meditate when in a group?

Quan Yin

Quote from: "notself"Do you only meditate when in a group?

No, I meditate myself when I do yoga by the shore. I only have gone to group meditation once, because I am at the point where I would like instruction. I need a Guru.
“All the people will not experience the love energy in the same way. Some will be comforted. Some will be changed. And some will be confused and even angry.” -Quan Yin

Quan Yin

Quote from: "notself"Try mindfulness when you walk.  I think we may have talked about this before.  It is my understanding that the word meditation does not appear in the oldest texts.  It is a word that shows up in translation.  The words that are used are Samadhi (concentration) and Sati (mindfulness).  I tried mindfulness when gardening, actually pulling weeds.  I paid attention to the process of pulling weeds to exclusion of all other thoughts.  I observed all my senses as I did this.  I smelled the earth and felt the sun.  I felt the tension and release as I pulled the weeds.  When my thoughts wandered, I brought them back to the object of mindfulness, pulling weeds.  When I finished and stood up, my mind was calm and I observed my surroundings without labels.  My mind observed trees without naming what I saw as trees.  It was a strange experience, but very pleasant.

I would like to ask you what you are taking.  You certainly don't have to answer if you don't wish to.  Just ignore this sentence.  I am taking Arimidex which is an estrogen blocker.  It has dozens and dozens of side effects most of which I have been able to avoid.  But I do have some that will be irreversible.  I have 2 1/2 years to go.

Do you know how long you can sustain concentration without interruption? It seems that you are pretty advanced at it. I can barely go five minutes.
“All the people will not experience the love energy in the same way. Some will be comforted. Some will be changed. And some will be confused and even angry.” -Quan Yin

notself

Quote from: "Quan Yin"Do you know how long you can sustain concentration without interruption? It seems that you are pretty advanced at it. I can barely go five minutes.

Don't say only five minutes, you are doing very well.  Some days I can't go 5 seconds.  My meditation has been affected by the drug I'm taking.  Before I was on it I lost track of time while meditating.  

I have always used a timer when meditating so I don't think about how long I sit or how much time has passed.  When the bell rings I have a choice of continuing to sit or getting up.  Because I don't think about how much time has passed it is easier for me to keep at it.  I suggest you stop worrying about how long as well.  Westerners are too competitive always wanting to get there fast and be number 1.  Forget about how long you sit or how long you can concentrate.  Ignore it.

Before I was on the medication I had an experience while doing a body survey, which is one of the forty forms of meditative focus.  I believe what I experienced meets the criteria of jhana.  You can google that word to find more about it.  It was beyond description.  I have also had other experiences of mind states.  These are not hallucinations but, in my opinion, they are a reflection of one accessing the right side of the brain; the non-labeling non categorizing side; the side where discursive thinking stops.  I really don't want to go into any more specifics because it is considered very bad form to talk about experiences with anyone but a highly skilled teacher.  

I have never had a teacher since I am the only Theravada Buddhist for hundreds of miles in any direction.  One does not absolutely need a teacher in Theravada.  It is also fortunate that several of the best teachers in the world are on line and have audios and videos.  I also read the actual suttas.  I don't buy books written by people who tell me what the Buddha said.  I read what the Buddha said.  I think about it.  I try to figure it out for my self.  I do encourage you to start reading the suttas as well as meditate and practice mindfulness.

If you wish to see a significant difference in your practice then look up the word metta in the index I have posted.  Read everything you can about metta and start putting it into practice in your daily life.  As far as I am concerned, if you can't get metta down, you can meditate all you want but you will never make progress in ways that really count.  Also look up the Sublime Attitudes or Brahmavirhara and read everything under that topic.  

Best wishes on your journey.

Quan Yin

Quote from: "notself"I have never had a teacher since I am the only Theravada Buddhist for hundreds of miles in any direction.  One does not absolutely need a teacher in Theravada.  It is also fortunate that several of the best teachers in the world are on line and have audios and videos.  I also read the actual suttas.  I don't buy books written by people who tell me what the Buddha said.  I read what the Buddha said.  I think about it.  I try to figure it out for my self.  I do encourage you to start reading the suttas as well as meditate and practice mindfulness.

I would advice against just reading translated versions of the suttas. You have to appreciate that they only make sense in context of the time, culture, and region that they were written in. Just reading translations are almost certainly going to facilitate misunderstandings. I would advice reading scholarly analysis of the concepts, and ideas before hand. This will offer perspective, and context, that are not available in the raw literature. Reading the suttas should come only after you have a sufficient grasp of the concepts, and ideas that they are employing.  

QuoteIf you wish to see a significant difference in your practice then look up the word metta in the index I have posted.  Read everything you can about metta and start putting it into practice in your daily life.  As far as I am concerned, if you can't get metta down, you can meditate all you want but you will never make progress in ways that really count.  Also look up the Sublime Attitudes or Brahmavirhara and read everything under that topic.

I'm a vegan, three years in, and vegetarian two years prior. I'm all about love and kindness, notice my signature.

QuoteBest wishes on your journey.

You too.

notself

Quote from: "Quan Yin"I would advice against just reading translated versions of the suttas. You have to appreciate that they only make sense in context of the time, culture, and region that they were written in. Just reading translations are almost certainly going to facilitate misunderstandings. I would advice reading scholarly analysis of the concepts, and ideas before hand. This will offer perspective, and context, that are not available in the raw literature. Reading the suttas should come only after you have a sufficient grasp of the concepts, and ideas that they are employing.  

Do not be concerned about me.  I was considered knowledgeable enough to be one of the moderators of  E-sangha.  Unfortunately it was completely hacked and destroyed through a cyber attack over a year ago.  At the time it was the largest, international Buddhist website in the world.  

The link to the site I provided usually has at least two translations of each sutta.  Most of the suttas are very clear.  There are also commentaries on the suttas and the more complex issues that are the core of Buddhist teachings.  These commentaries were complied around 400 CE from much older texts.   It sounds as though you have never read an actual sutta, that you believe that the teachings are somehow too difficult.  I hope that is not the case.  Some concepts are extremely complex and may take a lifetime to understand fully such as the teachings on co-dependant origination, but most are very pragmatic and straight forward.  

As for understanding the culture and imagery of the time, I have read several histories of the period as well as essays on imagery such as fire, elephants, horses, tigers, rhinoceros, deer and the eight spoked wheel.  I have read about the cultural place of women at the time of the Buddha and what an impact it had to have been when he fully ordained women.

I am concerned that you have not read any of the actual teachings so I am going to post my favorite sutta.  It will follow this post.

notself

Quote from: "Quan Yin"
QuoteIf you wish to see a significant difference in your practice then look up the word metta in the index I have posted.  Read everything you can about metta and start putting it into practice in your daily life.  As far as I am concerned, if you can't get metta down, you can meditate all you want but you will never make progress in ways that really count.  Also look up the Sublime Attitudes or Brahmavirhara and read everything under that topic.

I'm a vegan, three years in, and vegetarian two years prior. I'm all about love and kindness, notice my signature.

QuoteBest wishes on your journey.

You too.

Here is one of the suttas on Metta and my favorite translation.  It is the Karaiya Metta Sutta translated by the Amaravati Sangha.  There are four other translations that are available by just clicking on the name of the translators.  Here is the link.  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .amar.html

This is what should be done
   By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:
   Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech,
   Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied,
   Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful,
   Not proud or demanding in nature.
Let them not do the slightest thing
   That the wise would later reprove.
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
   May all beings be at ease.
Whatever living beings there may be;
   Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
   The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
   Those born and to-be-born â€"
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
   Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
   Wish harm upon another.
Even as a mother protects with her life
   Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
   Should one cherish all living beings;
Radiating kindness over the entire world:
   Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
   Outwards and unbounded,
Freed from hatred and ill-will.
   Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
Free from drowsiness,
   One should sustain this recollection.
This is said to be the sublime abiding.
   By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
   Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world.

Quan Yin

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Quan Yin"I would advice against just reading translated versions of the suttas. You have to appreciate that they only make sense in context of the time, culture, and region that they were written in. Just reading translations are almost certainly going to facilitate misunderstandings. I would advice reading scholarly analysis of the concepts, and ideas before hand. This will offer perspective, and context, that are not available in the raw literature. Reading the suttas should come only after you have a sufficient grasp of the concepts, and ideas that they are employing.  

Do not be concerned about me.  I was considered knowledgeable enough to be one of the moderators of  E-sangha.  Unfortunately it was completely hacked and destroyed through a cyber attack over a year ago.  At the time it was the largest, international Buddhist website in the world.  

The link to the site I provided usually has at least two translations of each sutta.  Most of the suttas are very clear.  There are also commentaries on the suttas and the more complex issues that are the core of Buddhist teachings.  These commentaries were complied around 400 CE from much older texts.   It sounds as though you have never read an actual sutta, that you believe that the teachings are somehow too difficult.  I hope that is not the case.  Some concepts are extremely complex and may take a lifetime to understand fully such as the teachings on co-dependant origination, but most are very pragmatic and straight forward.  

As for understanding the culture and imagery of the time, I have read several histories of the period as well as essays on imagery such as fire, elephants, horses, tigers, rhinoceros, deer and the eight spoked wheel.  I have read about the cultural place of women at the time of the Buddha and what an impact it had to have been when he fully ordained women.

I am concerned that you have not read any of the actual teachings so I am going to post my favorite sutta.  It will follow this post.

You seem to have things figured out. I have a different approach to learning, one that favors grasping the concepts, ideas, and context before hand. Your advice is appreciated. I wasn't attempting to tell you how to go about it, I apologize if you got that impression. I'm sure that you know what you're doing.

notself

No problem.  I know your concern was genuine that is why I shared some of my background.  Would you like some links to essays on the major concepts?  These essays would be from world renowned monks who are predominately American and British although some are from Sri Lanka and Thailand.

Here is one of the first books I read about Buddhism.  It is the autobiography of a Forest Monk who was born in Thailand at the turn of the 20th century.  He followed the Vinaya exactly and lived much as the Buddha himself lived.  One of the most interesting bits is his comments on sleep.  Good stuff.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eauto.html

I don't know how old you are but here is a poem written by a nun who began life as a beautiful courtesan and became a Bhikkhuni (fully ordained nun).  Ambapali is one of many women considered highly skilled and enlightened teachers of the dhamma by the Buddha.  Their work is included in the canon. Women under 40 find the poem off-putting.  Women over 50 laugh.  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Would you mind explaining how you go about grasping concepts, ideas and context without reading the suttas and commentaries?  Do you rely on the explanations of local teachers and discussion groups exclusively?

Quan Yin

Quote from: "notself"No problem.  I know your concern was genuine that is why I shared some of my background.  Would you like some links to essays on the major concepts?  These essays would be from world renowned monks who are predominately American and British although some are from Sri Lanka and Thailand.

No thanks, I am proficient enough in the art of google. I've got my way of going about it.

QuoteI don't know how old you are but here is a poem written by a nun who began life as a beautiful courtesan and became a Bhikkhuni (fully ordained nun).  Ambapali is one of many women considered highly skilled and enlightened teachers of the dhamma by the Buddha.  Their work is included in the canon. Women under 40 find the poem off-putting.  Women over 50 laugh.  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

I'm not a woman of any age...

QuoteWould you mind explaining how you go about grasping concepts, ideas and context without reading the suttas and commentaries?  Do you rely on the explanations of local teachers and discussion groups exclusively?

No thanks. I don't respond well to goading, and you have a prominent judgmental, and presuming attitude. I have already been decided a cult member of some kind, a female, and that my methodology must consist of interviewing local practitioners, and then pontificating about what I've heard on message boards. Clearly this type of attitude is not conducive to a constructive discourse.

I fully accept that my perceived ignorance, or arrogance is what has rubbed you the wrong way, but nevertheless, I don't feel that being patronized, and insulted will help me gain knowledge and humility either. Thanks for the offer though.

notself

Quote from: "Quan Yin"No thanks, I am proficient enough in the art of google. I've got my way of going about it.
I'm not a woman of any age...

No thanks. I don't respond well to goading, and you have a prominent judgmental, and presuming attitude. I have already been decided a cult member of some kind, a female, and that my methodology must consist of interviewing local practitioners, and then pontificating about what I've heard on message boards. Clearly this type of attitude is not conducive to a constructive discourse.

I fully accept that my perceived ignorance, or arrogance is what has rubbed you the wrong way, but nevertheless, I don't feel that being patronized, and insulted will help me gain knowledge and humility either. Thanks for the offer though.

I mistook you for a woman because Quan Yin is usually depicted as a woman and is often referred to as the goddess of compassion.  I missed the note under your avatar.  I should have paid more attention.

I can see how you can think I was goading you. I did ask several times where you get your information about Buddhism.  Your posts on other threads were so off the mark of what the Buddha taught and you were so reluctant to respond with any sources, I was concerned you were involved with a cult.  There are several floating around and they damage a lot of people.  

I have not been patronizing to you.    I have not been pontificating when I offer to provide you with links on what the teachings actually say.  I was trying to provide you with accurate information.  Clearly we are not communicating in a productive or beneficial manner.  

Best wishes on your journey.  If you decide to comment on any of the links I have already provided, I will be happy to resume the discussion.

Metta,
notself