News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

gift given at marriage

Started by geetah, September 16, 2010, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geetah

How is it determined by Indian police the difference between a gift given at marriage or dowry that is illegal? I know dowry is illegal in India now but I know dowry is used a lot still. Is it illegal if you just give a gift like if you get land or is that illegal. What is illegal dowry or all gift giving is what I am asking.

Tanker

Wait.......what?
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Tank

Quote from: "geetah"How is it determined by Indian police the difference between a gift given at marriage or dowry that is illegal? I know dowry is illegal in India now but I know dowry is used a lot still. Is it illegal if you just give a gift like if you get land or is that illegal. What is illegal dowry or all gift giving is what I am asking.

Hi geetah

Need a bit of background to understand your question. Are you Asian and in a situation where a dowry is being required?

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Didn't we have another completely off the wall question from a christian not too long ago where the OP never returned?  Maybe these are just failed spam attempts?

AreEl

Quote from: "geetah"How is it determined by Indian police the difference between a gift given at marriage or dowry that is illegal?

This depends on the amount(s) of the bribe (and counter-bribe) given to the police.
''I believe in God...it's his ground crew I have a problem with!''  -a former coworker

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Whitney"Didn't we have another completely off the wall question from a christian not too long ago where the OP never returned?  Maybe these are just failed spam attempts?
I don't know, but I do know that there have been a few times when a random question has been posed on my other forum and the poster of it disappeared for a few days.  By the the time our responses were addressed, we had forgotten about the whole thread.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"Didn't we have another completely off the wall question from a christian not too long ago where the OP never returned?  Maybe these are just failed spam attempts?
Only time will tell.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.