News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Religious rite gives evolution a helping hand (from NS)

Started by Parsifal, September 14, 2010, 08:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Reginus"But this is just micro-evolution, not macro-evolution.
Damn, there's no "choke" smiley.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Asmodean

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Damn, there's no "choke" smiley.
This here one >>  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!

tymygy

I was waiting for this..

Well, Micro-evolution IS macro-evolution. Over time alot of micro-evolution would occur and eventually turn into macro-evolution.
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

PoopShoot

Yeah, trying to pretend they're different is like trying to pretend walking to the kitchen is different than walking down the street.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

The Magic Pudding

Do many creationists cover their eyes with black cloth?
It must be very useful in maintaining their opinions.

Parsifal

Quote from: "tymygy"

I was waiting for this..

Well, Micro-evolution IS macro-evolution. Over time alot of micro-evolution would occur and eventually turn into macro-evolution.

It is amazing that they don't see the wood for the trees.
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

Parsifal

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Do many creationists cover their eyes with black cloth?
It must be very useful in maintaining their opinions.

LMFAO  roflol
Please support follow my mammoth project to tweet the whole of Darwin's On the Origin of Species at https://twitter.com/OriginsTweeted.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cy

karadan

Erm, you a christian? Did i miss something?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "karadan"

Apparently the worldview listed to the right of his post.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

karadan

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "karadan"

Apparently the worldview listed to the right of his post.

Well slap my thighs and ping my longjohns! All this time i thought Reginus was an atheist!

Don't ask me why.. My brain works in mysterious ways.

So with that settled, is Reginus actually being serious about the micro-evolution thing? If so, where's Squid?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "karadan"So with that settled, is Reginus actually being serious about the micro-evolution thing? If so, where's Squid?
IDK, but if he is, Squid will be of no help, as you have to have even the slightest understanding of evolution to understand anything he'd say on the issue.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tank

Consider this. Nobody has ever seen a tree grow. We know they grow because we can see (measure) them getting bigger each year and if left to grow for a long enough time when we cut them down we can see the growth rings in a trunk. In one case we see an acorn grow into an oak tree. If you just saw an acorn could you tell it would grow into a oak tree if you did not know the acorn was the seed of an oak tree? No, you could not. So you call on knowledge about plant growth, one observes growth and with no experiments whatsoever you can deduce that an acorn will, if given the right conditions, grow into an oak tree. Object A, the acorn, changes into object B, the oak tree over time.

Micro evolution, over sufficient time and with appropriate selection pressures leads to macro evolution. The step between each and every generation of every organism has the potential for micro evolution, just as each day has the potential for growth in the oak tree. Macro evolution is simply the accumulated effects of micro evolution.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

Indeed.  An artificial division, imposed (tellingly) by those who reject evolution altogether anyway.

Anyone who wishes to argue that "microevolution" cannot become "macroevolution" needs to posit a mechanism by which micro- is limited after X number of mutations.

It's sad that this argument still needs to be rebutted.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

SSY

I agree with poopshoot, this is not necessarily evidence for evolution. The fish collected from the cave may have been exposed to the toxin for the last 10 years, which could effect their resistance to it, just like someone who drinks heavily and regularly will have an increased resistance to the effects of alcohol.

To be sure, they could analyse the genomes of the two fish populations, or they could keep the fish, poison free until they had kids (maybe grandkids, to be sure), and then test the new offspring, which would tell us whether it was an inherited mutation or a physiological change imposed by the environment.

NB as I read the article, I did not see that they ate the stunned fish (in this particular instance, I know they do elsewhere), and if there is no eating, then there is less of a selective pressure on the fish. Even if they do eat the fish they stun, it would still need to be proven, as I outlined above to be sure evolution is happening, even though it is eminently plausible, we should always take proof when we can get it.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick