News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

"Ten Questions Every Intelligent Atheist Should Answer"

Started by omfgzmariah, September 05, 2010, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ã¥scertain

1. If there is no god, why is there anything at all? Where did the universe come from?
I don't know. oh, and im fine with that.
2. Where is the evidence that life could have begun without intelligent interference?
Again, I don't know.  What evidence is there to support that it did? :shake:
4. How can the evolutionary model be true since the fossil records emerge from the same time?
 :cool:
9. What if god is real? and you had to stand before him and answer questions?
IN all seriousness -I would hypothetically kick HIM in the nuts.
10. Would you recognize god as your creator?
No. Just like i wouldnt recognize the Boogeyman as my childhood terrorizer.
"Your objections are just a smokescreen, if you say no, your real problem is that you don't want to submit or be accountable to given rules."
AHAHAHAHA, im sorry this is too funny
*edit, typoeee

hackenslash

Quote from: "Ã¥scertain"I Don't fully subscribe to evolution. Haven't looked into it yet.

This interests me. May we help you with this? It's very straightforward, and the evidence is overwhelming.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

KebertX

These are really awful questions. There's nothing to do with the actual philosophy behind the rejection of God. In fact, the common theme is, "Why do you believe in science instead of MY god?" And, there are a LOT of Gods to be atheist to. And some of them have no problem if you believe in the Big Bang, or Evolution.

Like I said, there's no philosophy. Just bullshitty questions that stem from a complete ignorance of science.

"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Asmodean

Something I've been meaning to ask...

Why does the op (or, in this case, the video dude) think that it takes intelligent atheists to answer dumb ass questions..?  :raised:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ScaryBadReligion

Quote1. If there is no god, why is there anything at all? Where did the universe come from?

Where did god come from? Why do you set a rule requiring a creator and then break your own rule? In any case we don't know why there is something rather then nothing, however this gap in our knowledge does not require us to fill it in with whatever we want.

Quote2. Where is the evidence that life could have begun without intelligent interference?

You speak as if the default is intelligently designed life. Since you make this claim you must provide evidence to back it up. And again simply because we do not know does not mean you can fill in the gap of knowledge with God. Evolution is one working model that provides a very satisfying explanation.

Quote3. How can evolution explain features like wings?

Here you go: http://talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB921_2.html

Quote4. How can the evolutionary model be true since the fossil records emerge from the same time?

You'll need to be more specific.

Quote5. If there is no objective standard of right or wrong? how can anyt
hing be wrong?

Why do you consider God's standard of right or wrong an "objective" standard? It is simply another subjective standard of morality, created from God's point of view. In any case we can arrive at a system of morality by using reason. Morality is largely a set of rules that are instinctive in us, even some animals have been observed to have moral systems!

Quote6. Which is the logically defensible answer? Simple to complex OR creationism?

Simple to complex is more logical. In our world we continually see simple organisms gradually evolve and grow into more complex organisms. Systems start as simple and grow into more and more complex models.

Quote7. Natural selection - what came first? The code in the dna or the organism that depends on it for life?

Don't know. You'll have to ask a biologist. At this point you have completely gone off track. You are no longer talking about God, you are simply attempting to discredit evolution. Let me inform you: Even if evolution by way of natural selection is proven to be completely false it still does not prove God in the slightest.

Quote8. ET intelligence?

I assume you mean aliens? They might exist, they might not. Not relevant to the discussion.

Quote9. What if god is real? and you had to stand before him and answer questions?

Like many others have said before me: "Why did you try so hard to hide yourself? Why did you let so much suffering happen in your name?"

Quote10. Would you recognize god as your creator?

If I died and God appeared before me with indisputable proof that he is the creator of the universe I would recognize that fact. However I would not accept him as a dictator or ruler. Simply because he created me does not give him the right to rule over me.

Sophus

I think we should all combine our thinking power and come up with a response: Ten Questions Every Intelligent Theist Should Answer, and choose our best personality to be in the YouTube video.  :)

What say Ye?!
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"I think we should all combine our thinking power and come up with a response: Ten Questions Every Intelligent Theist Should Answer, and choose our best personality to be in the YouTube video.  :D Not nearly photogenic enough to be the host though.

In fact, I think HAF should have a YT channel. Mayhaps even a couple of fixed-time sendings (Like once a month or so...)  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

I don't see why anyone would bother trying to respond to the man in the OP video since hardly any of his questions are something an intelligent person would ask another intelligent person.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Adam Lee, over at Daylight Atheism, has this riposte.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Whitney"I don't see why anyone would bother trying to respond to the man in the OP video since hardly any of his questions are something an intelligent person would ask another intelligent person.
Well, one CAN grind his virtual nose inta' the dirt of ignorance, can one not? Just for personal satisfaction..?  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MilkyWay

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Whitney"I don't see why anyone would bother trying to respond to the man in the OP video since hardly any of his questions are something an intelligent person would ask another intelligent person.
Well, one CAN grind his virtual nose inta' the dirt of ignorance, can one not? Just for personal satisfaction..?  :)  These questions I'd expect from say 'Sarah Palin' - she makes the U.S. a laughing stock...you bet ya! Even the most educated of people can be misguided, as I see everyday in the hospital where I work. Even scientific and medical people.  I came to the conclusion they needed religion because without it they were afraid.  :)

Sophus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Adam Lee, over at Daylight Atheism, has this riposte.
Those are very good.

I think we some original minds here, though and may be able to come up with some just as good!

QuoteIn fact, I think HAF should have a YT channel. Mayhaps even a couple of fixed-time sendings (Like once a month or so...)

Or if not a channel what about a group (assuming such a feature exists)? So that any HAFers can join to share videos from a common outlet.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Sophus

Here's a question I have:

Given that Christianity is not, nor its roots (Judaism), the oldest known religion, why did God wait so long to reveal Himself to man?

Feel free to add on to it. :)

Asmodean

Quote from: "Sophus"Here's a question I have:

Given that Christianity is not, nor its roots (Judaism), the oldest known religion, why did God wait so long to reveal Himself to man?

Why did god create a man and then shape a woman out of a rib..?

Would it not be easier to create a woman pregnant with a boy? OR, better yet, something like 10-15000 people, just for the genetic diversity of it?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

SSY

Quote from: "Sophus"Here's a question I have:

Precisely how can one determine what is truth and what is simply metaphor in the bible? Why do many people disagree about what is and is not literal? Have you noticed that the list of "metaphors" has increased over time as science has proven them to be absurd?
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick