News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Genomes of Two Ant Species Sequenced

Started by Tank, August 30, 2010, 05:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Genomes of Two Ant Species Sequenced: Clues to Their Extraordinary Social Behaviour

QuoteScienceDaily (Aug. 27, 2010) â€" Scientists have finally sequenced the entire genome of an ant, actually two very different species of ant, and the insights gleaned from their genetic blueprints are already yielding tantalizing clues to the extraordinary social behavior of ants...

From later in the article.

QuoteComparing the two ant species, the scientists found that approximately 20 percent of their genes are unique, while some 33 percent are shared with humans. Researchers also established that the carpenter ant genome has about 240 million bases and the jumping ant has approximately 330 million bases, about one-tenth of the human genome. Bases are the building blocks of DNA. They also found that the carpenter ant has 17,064 genes and the jumping ant has 18,564, compared to about 23,000 in humans.

Darwin would be proud!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Tank"Darwin would be proud!
I sure am!  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

SSY

I would love an ant farm, but I would worry about them escaping and crawling over my stuff with their tiny feet.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Asmodean

Quote from: "SSY"worry about them escaping and crawling over my stuff with their tiny feet.
Yeah... I worry about the same thing with my rats  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "SSY"I would love an ant farm, but I would worry about them escaping and crawling over my stuff with their tiny feet.
But what would you do if these ants didn't pay the respect that is your due?
What if you squashed a bunch of them, but still they wouldn't do your bidding?
Even sticking the hose in their tank doesn't work.
I got so desperate I had sex with an ant, you don't want to know what they did to my offspring.
Ants just aren't worth the effort.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"I got so desperate I had sex with an ant
A VIRGIN ant.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.