News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Why Are There Not More Atheists ,???

Started by Godfree, August 31, 2010, 04:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"So it's all because they're stupid eh.
So Catholics give away those wafers that probably taste crap.
So what should an atheist evangelist give away, a fish oil capsule?
A Catholic acquaintance of the family is gluten intolerant and can't eat the communion wafers so she palms them, pockets them and ives them to her dog when she gets home. So she either doesn't trust God to transmute the wafer or she's feeding God to her doG!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"armies of comedians
Bill Maher. He's cool.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Godfree

I get the feeling you guys are here to have fun , and NOT take over the world,,,what is wrong with you , were is the ruthless desire for world domination , bloody hell ,
I have seen some funny Atheists ,
James Burk did a series called the Neuron Suite
hes a bit like Richard Dawkins and Billy Connoly mixed,
wake me when your ready to launch the ATTACK

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Godfree"wake me when your ready to launch the ATTACK
We do have to be careful you know.  
They have guns, are theoretically unafraid to die, and god has put a price on our heads.
And don't underestimate the value of poking fun at the popes hat.
I heard someone suggest his shoes were Prada, "Devil Wears Prada", pretty subversive.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 218136.ece

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Godfree"I get the feeling you guys are here to have fun , and NOT take over the world,,,what is wrong with you , were is the ruthless desire for world domination , bloody hell ,

I will attack a steak done medium-rare and a couple of bottles of Newcastle.  I have no interest in convincing anyone that my faithlessness should be their worldview.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Godfree"I get the feeling you guys are here to have fun , and NOT take over the world,,,what is wrong with you , were is the ruthless desire for world domination , bloody hell ,

I will attack a steak done medium-rare and a couple of bottles of Newcastle.  I have no interest in convincing anyone that my faithlessness should be their worldview.

I'm with you on the steak and beer, and a salad please.  But, I actually do want to convince the world that religion is evil and that we would be so much better off without it.  But I seriously doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime.

As for the OP, I think there are a LOT of closet atheists in the world, particularly in America.  A lot of people continue to go to Church as a social event, not because they truly believe.  There is also a lot of pressure on Americans to profess their faith, particularly in the South.  My wife put it best when she was shocked when she moved South from Pittsburgh and the first thing people would ask her is what church she goes to.  She was pissed.... and said so...
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

notself

Quote from: "Martin TK"There is also a lot of pressure on Americans to profess their faith, particularly in the South.  My wife put it best when she was shocked when she moved South from Pittsburgh and the first thing people would ask her is what church she goes to.  She was pissed.... and said so...

I had the same experience when I moved to the south.  Sales of houses are posted in the local paper.  As soon as one moves in to one's home, the church ladies (and gentlemen) start ringing the door bell.  There is real competition between churches for new members because with members comes an increase in donations and subscription fees.  We have lived here for 7 years now, and the number of people ringing our door bell has decreased from two a week to about one per month.

Tank

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Martin TK"There is also a lot of pressure on Americans to profess their faith, particularly in the South.  My wife put it best when she was shocked when she moved South from Pittsburgh and the first thing people would ask her is what church she goes to.  She was pissed.... and said so...

I had the same experience when I moved to the south.  Sales of houses are posted in the local paper.  As soon as one moves in to one's home, the church ladies (and gentlemen) start ringing the door bell.  There is real competition between churches for new members because with members comes an increase in donations and subscription fees.  We have lived here for 7 years now, and the number of people ringing our door bell has decreased from two a week to about one per month.
I swear I could not live in a place like that. It would drive me around the bend! It is useful to understand the differentiation in the US though. I may well end up back there on business at some time in the future and if that is the case you can be sure I'll be asking questions to make sure I don't put my foot in it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

notself

Quote from: "Tank"

I swear I could not live in a place like that. It would drive me around the bend! It is useful to understand the differentiation in the US though. I may well end up back there on business at some time in the future and if that is the case you can be sure I'll be asking questions to make sure I don't put my foot in it!

I love the State and the people are like people everywhere except for the rigid religions and political beliefs.  Stay away from those two subjects and it's fine.  Of course this is hard to do when people occasionally ask you if you are a Christian.  Now I just say that I am not religious but my entire family is.  It's the truth and it seems to satisfy the casual inquiry.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Tank"

Yeah, it got so bad at one time when I was in SC, that I came to the door with a shotgun in hand... Word got around and all the visits ceased.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Godfree

Religion is actively pushing it's agenda on to society. If we sit back and just watch ,
we will slowly but surely  end up in a world that only knows religion.
It's all very well to think , we have Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris ,
they are doing the Atheist thing for us.
Not good enough .
If we look at all the struggles of people to change society , it has been at great personal cost and risk in many cases to the people pushing for change.
Like the first black woman to refuse to give up her seat on the bus,
Charles Darwin , what would the world be like now if he never wrote"The Origin Of Species"
I have been pushing the Atheist barrow for about ten years.
I wrote to my Prime Minister suggesting we begin the process of demoting religion.
And why.
I have blogged my arse off on as many forums as I could get on , and spoken on our national radio talk back.
For Atheism to have a chance , we have to do the work of ten christians.
because we are greatly outnumbered and out funded.

notself

My entire family are devout Catholics.  My efforts to prevent the take over of our government by the religious is to point out to my family that the separation of church and state is the only thing that prevents the prosecution of Catholics.  I try to instill a bit of history and paranoia into the mix.  To fundamentalist friends I point out that the Catholic Church started out as a combination of government and religion and would like to go back to the good old days.  Therefore, fundamentalist Christians need to support separation of church and state in order for them to maintain their beliefs against the much larger group of Catholics in the world.

Keep the religious tribes wary of each other.  If they ever truly unite, it will be the end of modern civilization.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Godfree"I wrote to my Prime Minister suggesting we begin the process of demoting religion.
You have a Prime Minister, so I assume you are safe to talk reason.
Much of America seems too weird for words.
I have responded to posts where someone says they just keep quiet about religion.
I have suggested they just give the theist a little nudge and they tell a story of religious control and ostracism of unbelievers.
Families reject their children!
It's not easy.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Martin TK"I'm with you on the steak and beer, and a salad please.  But, I actually do want to convince the world that religion is evil and that we would be so much better off without it.  But I seriously doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime.

As for the OP, I think there are a LOT of closet atheists in the world, particularly in America.  A lot of people continue to go to Church as a social event, not because they truly believe.  There is also a lot of pressure on Americans to profess their faith, particularly in the South.  My wife put it best when she was shocked when she moved South from Pittsburgh and the first thing people would ask her is what church she goes to.  She was pissed.... and said so...

I differentiate between faith and religion.  Faith on the individual level is usually, but not always, harmless.  Organized religion has some dangers, and arouses my ire.

So long as a believer leaves me the hell alone, I'm fine.  If they wish to evangelize -- a religious activity -- then I will say something.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Whitney

Quote from: "Godfree"For Atheism to have a chance , we have to do the work of ten christians.
because we are greatly outnumbered and out funded.

But, why should we evangelize being an atheist?  It's not a religion, some atheists are quite stupid and have beliefs which are equally as crazy as religious people.  

I'd much prefer to spread the good word of tolerance, equality, and rational thought rather than worry over if someone thinks a god exists or not.