News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

A staggering recovery.

Started by åscertain, August 26, 2010, 12:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ã¥scertain

Happy can definitely be used to describe how I feel after undertaking a new understanding of my existence - being no understanding.
Until now I didn’t quite comprehend why I felt such a void in my life, being a Christian for 14 years of my 19-year long life has been extremely grueling. I guess that the reason I felt restricted was because we (my family and I) felt we had all the answers. Really I had none. When I turned 14 I began a courageous, seemingly outrageous expedition which consisted of critical analyzation. I would rigorously question the doctrine I was born into, everyone around me confided in, it was (is) even held in high regard predominately in my racial group haha. - EVERY since that pursuit I've stumbled across inconsistency after inconsistency. I have reached a point now where I don’t believe in religion period. In a way that is what brought be here. I have been reading different posts for the past few weeks and I have to say some people here have made me experience a strong sense of reinforcement, which is a nice deviation! So im sitting her now, just turned 19 and I feel free. I feel fresh - I can almost equate how I feel to a person who had been hospitalized for decades and is now making a staggering recovery. Rather than be enslaved by my own (what I consider to be) primitive logic and narrow-mindedness’ I am free to think about possibilities. I’m not concerned with learning ultimate truth though, because
a) I’m near certain I wont find it
if there even is an it
and, b) Although it would be nice to have a divine understanding of the world around me - I wouldn’t want to stop asking questions!!  :headbang:

The Magic Pudding

Welcome åscertain
I never had such an experience.
We all know how Christians talk about seeing the light.
You sound like you're shouting, get that bloody light out my face so I can see what's going on!
Good luck with it.

Ã¥scertain

Tank

Welcome aboard åscertain

You've fallen on your feet, at last. I have never had a revelationary experience like you, but it must be quite something to experience. You have the one life, don't waste it young sir  :D

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How to discuss efficiently and effectively Before entering  into a serious discussion I implore you to read the first post of this thread.
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Nice to meet you åscertain - glad you found us, and are feeling "better" ;-)

Cheers,
JoeActor

p.s. you've got a little halo above your "a"!

Tank

Quote from: "joeactor"Nice to meet you åscertain - glad you found us, and are feeling "better" ;-)

Cheers,
JoeActor

Maybe we should adopt the Ã¥ and incorporate it in Ã¥theist, then we could be 'saintly' Ã¥theists  :headbang:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Asmodean

Welcome!

For thy who wonder, a halo above a makes it into an
  • . Ã... is the last letter of the alphabet in my country after all, so I'd know :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Hello, and welcome to HAF, Ã¥scertain.  I'm glad that you came out of the other side of your explorations with a positive view of things. Stick with that, by all means!  I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. :livelong:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ã¥scertain

Quote from: "joeactor"Nice to meet you åscertain - glad you found us, and are feeling "better" ;-)

Cheers,
JoeActor

haha, I didnt see it that way but thats interesting. makes me feel better about having it. a paradox!  :hail: