News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

President Obama is a Muslim

Started by Tank, August 19, 2010, 05:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Picked this up a RatSkep posted by MathieuT, not my work finding it but interesting. Not sure if that is against any rules, I don't think so  :hmm:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/18/AR2010081806913.html?hpid=topnews

The research website : http://people-press.org/report/645/

QuoteThe number of Americans who believe -- wrongly -- that President Obama  is a Muslim has increased significantly since his inauguration and now account for nearly 20 percent of the nation's population.
This Story

Those results, from a new Pew Research Center survey, were drawn from interviews done before the president's comments about the construction of an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero, and they suggest that there could be serious political danger for the White House as the debate continues.

The president's religion, like his place of birth, has been the subject of Internet-spread rumors and falsehoods since before he began his presidential campaign, and the poll indicates that those rumors have gained currency since Obama took office. The number of people who now correctly identify Obama as a Christian has dropped to 34 percent, down from nearly half when he took office.

White House officials expressed dismay over the poll results. Faith adviser Joshua DuBois blamed "misinformation campaigns" by the president's opponents.

"While the president has been diligent and personally committed to his own Christian faith, there's certainly folks who are intent on spreading falsehoods about the president and his values and beliefs," DuBois said.

DuBois said the president's Christian faith plays an "important part" in his daily life. And he pointed to six speeches on faith that the president has given in which he talked about his beliefs. But Dubois said coverage of Obama's Christianity has been scant compared with news about the economic crisis, legislative battles and other issues.

Among those who say Obama is a Muslim, 60 percent say they learned about his religion from the media, suggesting that their opinions are fueled by misinformation.

But the shifting attitudes about the president's religious beliefs could also be the result of a public growing less enamored of him and increasingly attracted to labels they perceive as negative. In the Pew poll, 41 percent disapprove of Obama's job performance, compared with 26 percent disapproval in its March 2009 poll.

More than a third of conservative Republicans now say Obama is a Muslim, nearly double the percentage saying so early last year. Independents, too, are now more apt to see the president as a Muslim: Among independents, 18 percent say he is a Muslim, up eight percentage points.

Those numbers come as Obama and other Democrats try to minimize potential fallout from the president's remarks on Friday about the Islamic center in New York. A new Time-SRBI poll found that 61 percent of Americans oppose building the center. Nearly twice as many people said the center, and the mosque inside it, would be an insult to 9/11 victims than said it would be a symbol of religious tolerance.

In the Time poll, 25 percent say most Muslims in the United States are not patriotic Americans. But the survey also indicates that the public's opposition to the center may be more complicated than just anti-Muslim sentiment. Fifty-five percent said they would accept a Muslim community center and place of worship two blocks from their own home.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

It's always frustrating when we find out how many people listen to conservative talk radio and Fox News.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Davin

"One in four people are retards." - Kyle from South Park on why there are people that believe the 9/11 conspiracy theories.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Thumpalumpacus

Yeah, NPR featured it this morning too.

So much facepalm, and only two hands.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

skwurll

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Yeah, NPR featured it this morning too.

So much facepalm, and only two hands.

That's where head desk comes into play.

Sophus

Funny you should mention, I was just reading this blog post by Jerry Coyne about his hunch that Obama is actually an atheist. I've had  my suspicions as well. If he ever does come out and say he's an atheist (not that he is or has ever been) it won't be until he's long done playing politics.

QuoteObama is a smart man, smart enough to know that unless he pretends to the trappings of faith, he has no credibility with the American people.  I’ve long thought that he was an unbeliever, and this was confirmed yesterday in an interview Obama had with NBC’s Matt Lauer...
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

I've thought the same myself, given his careful skirting of the issue.

I also wonder if he didn't secretly welcome the ado about Jeremiah Wright, as it allowed him to wave "faith" around vicariously.

karadan

Quote from: "Sophus"Funny you should mention, I was just reading this blog post by Jerry Coyne about his hunch that Obama is actually an atheist. I've had  my suspicions as well. If he ever does come out and say he's an atheist (not that he is or has ever been) it won't be until he's long done playing politics.

QuoteObama is a smart man, smart enough to know that unless he pretends to the trappings of faith, he has no credibility with the American people.  I’ve long thought that he was an unbeliever, and this was confirmed yesterday in an interview Obama had with NBC’s Matt Lauer...

I've often wondered that. So, it would be 100% political suicide if he revealed his atheism? I thought the US was the land of the free..

Huh.   :hmm:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

SSY

Yes karadan, free to be stupid and bigoted.

Over this side of the pond, I haven't been keeping up with his progress intently, but I must say, his fall from grace has been meteoric.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Thumpalumpacus

It depends on the size and location of the polity. As far as the presidency goes, I doubt an open atheist could be elected, and think that state of affairs will take a couple of generations to change, at the very least.

Asmodean

Even if Obama WAS a muslim... So what? How would that be worse than for instance Bush the Christian?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"Even if Obama WAS a muslim... So what? How would that be worse than for instance Bush the Christian?
It could be worse if they never get elected/re-elected.

Asmodean

I think me the US should get a nice atheist president... But that's just me  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Quote20% OF AMERICANS THINK OBAMA IS A TALKING CAR

ONE in five Americans believe that President Barack Obama is a car that can talk, according to a new survey.

It is the latest blow to the beleaguered commander-in-chief who has struggled to connect with mainstream America and convince them that he is a person not a vehicle.

The survey found that more than half believe the president was manufactured in either Japan or South Korea and arrived in Atlantic City on board a large freight vessel in 1993.

Forty-eight percent think he is a mid-price sports coupé with high levels of equipment but poor reliability. And among those who believe he is a talking car, more than 70% claim he uses a refined mid-Atlantic accent, while 23% insist it is a fuzzy, robotic monotone.

Martin Bishop, deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee, said: "I would just like him to have the courage to produce his birth certificate so that we can see once and for all what kind of car he is."

Stephen Malley, a sales executive from Atlanta, said: "I read that he just sits around all day drinking Castrol GTX and smoking reefer. Our president is a poorly maintained foreign death trap that talks hippy dippy shit about moonbeams."

And Tom Logan, an electrician from Pittsburgh, added: "He sleeps in a garage and his full name is Barack Mitsubishi Obama."

A White House spokesman said last night: "The president has been in cars. Many of his relatives and even some of his friends can drive cars. The president actually quite likes cars.

"But he's not a car."

Helen Archer, an estate agent from Bloomington, Indiana, said: "I wouldn't necessarily choose a car as president, but if he is a car then I'd certainly prefer him to be one that can talk.

"The last thing this country needs right now is one of those silent, menacing cars like Christine or Herbie."
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/inte ... 008203021/

Hah!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.