News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Your reading list?

Started by Reasonable, August 19, 2010, 07:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Crow on June 17, 2012, 08:38:06 PM

I also liked the Resident Evil games (the 4th game was the last one I enjoyed). The main reason I enjoyed that game besides the puzzles was the atmosphere the game managed to convey which was unlike any other form of media, the game could have removed zombies and it would have still been good. Apart from that I just don't "get it".

Couldn't agree with you more the new Star Wars 1313 looks pretty damn good as that appears to take a darker more serious approach.
I think that the zombie thing is pretty ridiculous myself, but like I said I was in love with RE.  The atmosphere was very much a part of it for me too.  The first two were just so damn good it was scarier than the zombies themselves.  The puzzle system was so deep you could spend hours just trying to figure out where one damn emblem went.  I knew nothing about the Star Wars 1313 until I saw that video.  I haven't had a game system for over a year so I haven't been paying too much attention. It looks pretty cool. Do you know if it will be action or action rpg?  I would love to see a bounty hunter based star wars game in the style of mass effect.  You could change the whole path of a game like that just by going to a Mos Eisley cantina.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Siz

Quote from: Tom62 on June 17, 2012, 08:26:01 PM
I'm reading Iain M. Banks "Surface Detail" on my Kindle. It is one of his better Culture books.
That's one of three of his paperbacks I have on my bedside table waiting patiently. I might give this one a shot when I'm feeling dedicated as you've suggested its one of his better Culture ones - they require a lot of investment that I'm rarely able to give. I normally fall asleep within half a page these days and that's no way to tackle Iain M Banks!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Firebird

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on June 17, 2012, 08:26:29 PM
I'm not really into zombie books per se. I loved playing the old resident evil games because they were very puzzle heavy and I loved the idea of a puzzle game where I also got to shoot stuff.  It also had a pretty deep storyline which also died with the puzzles.  I quit playing them when they became whores for money and made it all action.  The Resident evil movies are pretty cool because they still have a decent storyline, other than that I haven't seen many zombie movies.  Now the star wars zombie thing I really like because it helps explain what the emperor meant when he told Darth Vader about a sith lord who found a way to cheat death.  It also allowed the author to go down a really dark and bloody route that the Star Wars books and movies have never really done before.  I am only halfway through Red havest and quite a few sith acolytes have already had their eyes or faces chewed on.  It's pretty gruesome, but I have always felt that Star Wars was way too cutesy and were trying to sell toys to kids.  It's refreshing to see a star wars author go down a dark road with it.

I was really into the Star Wars books, but after reading the "New Jedi Order" series, I was completely tapped out. Those are actually very bloody as well; maybe not Zombies, but the Yuuzhan Vong are pretty horrible and huge fans of torture, not the mention the number of characters they killed off. If you think Star Wars was too cute, try that series out and see what you think then.
But I'll check out Red Harvest at some point. I have gone back and read some of the Old Republic comics, so that era of the universe might hold more fascination for me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Firebird on June 20, 2012, 06:08:06 PM

I was really into the Star Wars books, but after reading the "New Jedi Order" series, I was completely tapped out. Those are actually very bloody as well; maybe not Zombies, but the Yuuzhan Vong are pretty horrible and huge fans of torture, not the mention the number of characters they killed off. If you think Star Wars was too cute, try that series out and see what you think then.
But I'll check out Red Harvest at some point. I have gone back and read some of the Old Republic comics, so that era of the universe might hold more fascination for me.

Try death troopers also by Joe schreiber. It's set right before A new Hope, also contains zombies, and involves two of the main characters from the original trilogy.  I won't say who, but one of them is the only character I have ever seen that is bigger AND harier than me.  The bane trilogy is also old republic and a must read as it explains the rule of two. I have to reread them myself.  It's been a few years, and I've read so many books since then I don't remember almost any of the plot.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins