News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

marriage ceremony

Started by pamelax, August 16, 2010, 07:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pamelax

What was the longest Christian marriage ceremony that you ever attended? I just got back from a Catholic one that was 2 HOURS long. I was too wore out to go to the reception. I just came home. How about you?

The Magic Pudding

However long they are they seem much longer.
It wouldn’t be so bad if you could doze off in peace.
But no, they have to do that annoying stand up sit down business.

NothingSacred

Quote from: "pamelax"What was the longest Christian marriage ceremony that you ever attended? I just got back from a Catholic one that was 2 HOURS long. I was too wore out to go to the reception. I just came home. How about you?
I had a religious ceremony and it was over in an hour the longest thing about it was the damn pictures. I hate male photographers who dont understand that heels HURT!
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

MariaEvri

orthodox ceremonys take the entire day
first you have to go to the bride's or groom's house and watch him get ready
then drive to the church which the ceremony takes about 45 minutes? (theres no "I do"s in orthodox weddings. Just that boring monotone church chanting thingy)
then go to a hotel/ball room and stand in a looooooooooooooong line to say your congrats
then go to the party
once you see one youve seen them all
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

McQ

Welcome to the world I grew up in! Roman Catholic weddings, especially if you are Italian-American, take FOR-------EV--------ERrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Two hours is about average. I was married in a RC ceremony. Never thought I'd make it to the end.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MariaEvri

Quote from: "McQ"Welcome to the world I grew up in! Roman Catholic weddings, especially if you are Italian-American, take FOR-------EV--------ERrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Two hours is about average. I was married in a RC ceremony. Never thought I'd make it to the end.

specially worse if you seem to have a trillion billion cousins and you HAVE to go to all their weddings
and then the christenings follow
oh geez the horror just thinking about it!!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Martin TK

I do not go to weddings, EVER and everyone knows it.  Usually they just invite me to the reception, knowing that my wife and I are well known for giving the best gifts.  When I got married to my current wife, we went to the courthouse on a Friday afternoon at 4:30pm and did the deed.  We were just as married as if we had spent tens of thousands and wasted countless hours.  I then took the money we would have spent, and we went to Europe for a month.

I will make exceptions for my children, especially my daughter.  Other than that, NOPE..
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Dretlin

I have only been to Church Of Scotland weddings. Which typically take 30minutes.

Kylyssa

I was a wedding florist for 18 years so I sat through a boatload of wedding ceremonies, waiting to remove decorations from the ceremony, sometimes to take them to the reception afterward.  I have sat through wedding ceremonies that lasted well in excess of 2 hours.  

The longest service I recall was just under three hours.  That was just the ceremony, not counting the processional, the recessional, the receiving line, or anything else.  There was a dance troupe that did a routine, a bunch of singers, several speakers, and a sermon as well as mass.  I was freaking out because I wasn't sure how we were going to wait for the people to get their bodies out of the church so we could rip stuff down and cart it to the reception hall (along with the centerpieces which were at the flower shop somewhere in between the locations) before the guests arrived at the reception.  I was still pinning garland onto the head table when people were filing in.  The bride had assured me that it was going to be "short and sweet" - not!

Guittars

My own wedding lasted close to an hour. The actual legal part is 5 minutes, it's all the f'king prayers and readings that take up the extra time.

As it happens, my wife and I recently renewed our vows (it's complicated). She remains a Christian but as my profile says, I'm an atheist.

This time was much more fun. We had a marquee in the back garden, gave everyone a drink when they arrived, took ten minutes of everyone's time to say a few words to each other and then someone read 'that' passage from Captain Corelli's Mandolin (see below), then we all drank, ate and thrust ourselves into general merriment. Great way to do it.

G

Quote from CCM:

Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.

karadan

I went to a church wedding a few months back. It was Church of England. Only took about 30 mins. I preferred the reception, obviously :)

It was the first time i've been in a church in over a decade.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.