News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Made a Mistake? No Problem, God Loves You. But Not Atheists

Started by Recusant, August 15, 2010, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Tank"Most interesting. I can see the benefit of not getting too hung up on one's mistakes, learn from them, but leave them in the past where they belong.
At the same time there can be a good level of stress to have. It keeps us from screwing up too badly, possibly for a second time. Some stress is healthy sometimes in the sense that it keeps you out of trouble.
Absolutely. If one does not learn from ones mistakes or possibly more importantly that one can make mistakes then one is doomed to screw up all the time. But as I'm sure you'd agree there is a balance to be struck between recklessness and caution. Going too far on either side of the scale is a bad thing. Whether believers in God ultimately benefit depends on whether one feels people as too reckless or too cautious in general terms. I can be over cautious and suffer from analysis paralysis to some extent so I would generally benefit from a bit less mistake guilt at the moment so maybe I'm biased!
Oh, absolutely, there must be a happy medium. On one hand I see Christianity as a religion dependent on lots of guilt - capitalizing off of people's mistakes. On the other hand it is designed to take all that guilt away. A lot of sects operate differently on this though, so who knows?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

notself

Guilt is embedded in many religions but the RCC is famous for instilling guilt.  From the earliest childhood, they are taught to focus on their mistakes (sins) and feel shame.  They then have to confess their mistakes in a small dark closet to a authority figure cloaked in ritual garments.  After this humble confession, they have to kneel in the church and say their penance.  Other church members watch to see who is going to confession.  Now this would be wonderful if it actually worked, but I know many Catholics who are always feeling guilty and unworthy because of their religion.

QuoteDouay-Rheims Bible: Genesis 32.10
I am not worthy of the least of all thy mercies, and of thy truth which thou hast fulfilled to thy servant. With my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I return with two companies.
Even when things are going well, Christians and Jews are taught to feel unworthy.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "notself"Guilt is embedded in many religions but the RCC is famous for instilling guilt.  From the earliest childhood, they are taught to focus on their mistakes (sins) and feel shame.  They then have to confess their mistakes in a small dark closet to a authority figure cloaked in ritual garments.  After this humble confession, they have to kneel in the church and say their penance.  Other church members watch to see who is going to confession.  Now this would be wonderful if it actually worked, but I know many Catholics who are always feeling guilty and unworthy because of their religion.

QuoteDouay-Rheims Bible: Genesis 32.10
I am not worthy of the least of all thy mercies, and of thy truth which thou hast fulfilled to thy servant. With my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I return with two companies.
Even when things are going well, Christians and Jews are taught to feel unworthy.

On another freethought board, there's this Christian gal whose poetry is filled with self-loathing.  I'd feel bad for her were it not for her continual preaching.  It's bad enough she carries the virus, and spreads it, but don't urge me to adopt it too.  That's just misery looking for confirmation that it is worthwhile.
Illegitimi non carborundum.