News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Religious Discrimination in the Workplace

Started by philosoraptor, August 10, 2010, 12:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "DropLogic"I can't find my OP about this issue.

I started at my company as a contractor hired on to roll out some equipment to the field sales people.  They liked my work ethic, intelligence, and fresh look on things, so they hired me after only 5 weeks.  Fast forward 2 years.  I've been promoted three times, gotten a raise at each performance review, and things are looking great.  I propose to my now wife, and go to a department party a couple of weeks later where I am congratulated by my supervisor, his boss, and the head of development.  This is where my professional life at this company went to hell.
My bosses boss drops this bomb on me: "So are you excited to finally move in with your fiance?"
Taken aback for a moment I reply, "oh, well we've actually lived together for about 6 years now." You'd think I killed someone from the looks on their faces.
All three of them give each other shifty eye'd glances and my supervisor then asks, "so what church do you go to?"
I replied that I don't go to a church.  Sensing the tension, I went to buy the next round of drinks.

From that day forward my life at this company has been hell.  I have received mediocre performance reviews.  My ideas on how to help the company move forward through this tough economy have been completely ignored.  I have been written up twice for insubordination due to my "tone" in meetings.  Once all of this started happening I knew I had to tip-toe.  However, it doesn't seem to matter what I do here.  I was moved to another department that is entirely outside of my expertise 2 months ago.  That tells me that they can't fire me, so they'll tuck me away somewhere they don't have to acknowledge me or interact with me.  
I can't report this to anyone because they're all religious and don't think religious discrimination is real.  I went to a friend of mine in HR who I trust implicitly, and she told me that I would be fighting an impossible battle.
So for now, I'm looking for work elsewhere...but no one wants to pay me near what I'm already making...and my bills aren't getting any cheaper.

You can go to your EEOC board.  Before you do, make sure you're documenting everything.

Keep your head up, and don't back down.
Illegitimi non carborundum.