News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Religious people everywhere

Started by walkerneo, August 07, 2010, 04:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: "Ned"Can I be the only person here who's heart breaks when people do not give glory to God?
If you want to, I wouldn't volunteer for that though, unless I could do a sweet Elvis impersonation.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Thumpalumpacus

You are the only Christian who's managed to not be banned that I've seen, but I've seen a Buddhist and an I-don't-know-what-he-is theist too.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

elliebean

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"You are the only Christian who's managed to not be banned that I've seen, but I've seen a Buddhist and an I-don't-know-what-he-is theist too.
Others have lasted longer in the past, but that's not to say that they behaved better while they were here. Most eventually became too consistently confrontational, arrogant, and preachy and got banned, or grew bored of their own antics and left. I'm hoping if my brother comes along soon, he might break with the stereotypes that too many christians have reinforced here; for once proving to our existing members that sustained, repectful, intelligent, discourse is possible between (some) atheists and (some) christians, even those of the evangelical, fundamentalist persuasion.

It could happen.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Thumpalumpacus

I hear you.  It's frustrating, to me, that theists aren't often on atheists forums.  And, aside from what another theist here has already implied, it ain't because of bans, but because of an inability to take questioning.

I can sort of understand that; if I had to explain the same stuff over and over, I'd get pretty tired of that crap too.

Come to think of it ....

notself

double post.

notself

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"You are the only Christian who's managed to not be banned that I've seen, but I've seen a Buddhist and an I-don't-know-what-he-is theist too.

What the heck did the Buddhist do to get banned?  Right speech is highly important in Buddhist teachings.

He may have been a theist.  There is a small section of Buddhism which calls itself "the one true Buddhism" that is theistic.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Ned"Can I be the only person here who's heart breaks when people do not give glory to God?

It's whose, not "who's." "Who's" means who is.

So what you've said here is: "Can I be the only person here who is heart breaks when people do not give glory to God?"

It makes no sense.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Tank

Generally no, any believer can do that  :D  However you may be the only person here who does it. But that's fine as it's an expression of your world view and as this aspect of your world view that IMO does no real harm to others then go for it! You don't need my permission or that of anybody else to believe what you want to of feel the effects of those beliefs.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

i_am_i

How does one give glory to God? How does one give glory to anyone or anything? What does giving glory mean?

"I've got something I want to give you."

"Oh yeah, what is it?"

"It's glory. Read the card."
Call me J

Sapere aude

karadan

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I hear you.  It's frustrating, to me, that theists aren't often on atheists forums.  And, aside from what another theist here has already implied, it ain't because of bans, but because of an inability to take questioning.

I can sort of understand that; if I had to explain the same stuff over and over, I'd get pretty tired of that crap too.

Come to think of it ....

I think it is because ultimately, they are arguing an untenable position. There's some proper bright sparks on this forum. Even the most respectful christian will eventually have doubts about coming here again simply because we have an answer for everything. Wouldn't it be awful if the more intelligent ones started to be swayed by our arguments?  :)  )
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "notself"

What the heck did the Buddhist do to get banned?  Right speech is highly important in Buddhist teachings.

He may have been a theist.  There is a small section of Buddhism which calls itself "the one true Buddhism" that is theistic.

I wasn't trying to say that the Buddhist had gotten banned, sorry if I wasn't clear on that.  I was trying to list the religious or theistic amongst us.

The Magic Pudding

Why does god need glory from me?
Why doesn't he make his own?
I don't think it's healthy for this super being to be wasting his time on us.
I know he has had problems with other gods in the past.
But for his own mental well being, I think he should give it another go.
He could find himself a nice goddess and settle down somewhere far far away.
It's worth a try.

Ned

Quote from: "i_am_i"How does one give glory to God? How does one give glory to anyone or anything? What does giving glory mean?

"I've got something I want to give you."

"Oh yeah, what is it?"

"It's glory. Read the card."
IMHO, the most appropriate way to give glory to God is to follow his commandments.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Ned"IMHO, the most appropriate way to give glory to God is to follow his commandments.
Why are so many of god's commandments just shoring up God's godly status.
He sounds more than a little insecure to me.
I think all that time on his own has left him with serious issues.

Quote2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;

3 Do not have any other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name

Ned

I recommend that everyone here watches Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ" starring Jim Caviezel.  I am fairly confident that it will have you falling to your knees and begging God's forgiveness.