News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Ahoy

Started by timmybftw, August 06, 2010, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmybftw

Timothy (Timmy, Timmy B, whatever) here from Missouri. New here (obviously), and though I'm no good at it overall, I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself, kinda give some bearings as to who, exactly, dwells behind this monitor...

-After lurking here for a bit and reading the rules, I was very compelled to join up; it's rather hard to find a decent online community that, at the core, praises respect and tolerance over post-counts and sign-up dates.
-I consider myself Atheist, and I tend not to dwell on it very often (I reached my decision a long time ago and to date, nothing has shaken my stance, so...).
-Religion wasn't shoved down my throat as a child, nor was the lack thereof, and in this typically Christian America, I thank my parents for that. I have no epic Childhood exposure to `bible-thumping' or `bible-bashing' - I basically grew up, got my own experiences and exposure, and all that led me to realize was I should take most religious praises with a grain of salt and just try to be a generally respectful and all-around decent person to the best of my abilities.
-I am not one to believe the god/s (or goddess/es) you follow should have any bearing on how decent a person you are - I've always attributed that to common sense. Some of my good friends are heavily theistic, and somehow we see eye-to-eye more often than not. Hmm...
-I have a distaste for the pseudo-intellectual types that always have to be right and have the last word (nothing is more irritating in my opinion). I love the exchange of ideals, lifestyles, and philosophies - even a nice debate every once in a while - and welcome these things with open arms.
-If someone or something offends me, I consider it an act of God (snicker snicker) as it's not a feat easily accomplished.

To avoid a huge wall of text I suppose I'll leave it at that. Besides, y'all should learn more about me, as I look forward to learning more about you, in time, eh? ;D
Some day, a signature will go here.

pinkocommie

Welcome!  I hope you like it here!   :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Hello Tim

That was a nice and insightful introduction, thank you for taking the time to put it together. If you like thoughtful, civil debate and dialogue I hope this place lives up to your expectations, I think it will.

Welcome aboard.

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

I looked at my map, Missouri doesn't look very nautical,
anyway welcome aboard Timmy.