News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Poll: Do you agree or disagree with circumcision

Started by Keithzworld, August 05, 2010, 03:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithzworld

I personally regard it as mutilation and child abuse, but thats just my opinion; I'm speaking in reference to circumcision performed at child birth.

Thoughts?

Whitney

My research (although not as much research as I would do if I found myself with a son on the way) indicates that there is no medical reason to circumcise.  For this reason I think it's a bad idea (I'd argue it's immoral) to decide for the boy that he wants it done to "fit in" when he can choose to do that when he is older.  I don't buy rationalizations that it will hurt more when they are older; sure it will be bigger but at least they get proper pain medications as opposed to none as a baby.  Not being able to remember it happening as a baby doesn't affect the actual pain either.

Businessocks

My son is intact.  Whitney, I found the same conclusion as you after researching: there's no medical need or advantage.  Also, when I learned that routine circumcision was started in part in an attempt to stop masturbation due to religious values at the time (http://www.cirp.org/library/history/darby4/), I almost barfed.

I'm glad this issue is getting good discussion now.  I think its barbaric, with or without numbing meds.
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

elliebean

Never appreciated your avatar so much as I did reading this thread, Biz.  :P
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

SSY

Quote from: "Businessocks"Also, when I learned that routine circumcision was started in part in an attempt to stop masturbation due to religious values at the time (http://www.cirp.org/library/history/darby4/), I almost barfed.

Do you eat cornflakes?

Very anti circumcision here, I can see this thread being very amicable, I think there will be a large consensus. None of the arguments I have seen make sense in even practical terms (excluding medical of course), let alone come close to vaulting the consent barrier.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

The Magic Pudding

Secular infant circumcision used to be very common here a few decades back, not so now.
Doctors are very reluctant to do it.
I had daughters so I never had to decide, I suppose I'm a mild disagree.
The bible is a bit strange on the issue.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/joshua ... 05_02.html

Sophus

No. No, I do not. If you're interested, there's an old thread on this forum about circumcision here.  :)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

I'm very glad i'm not circumcised. My cousin was done and there were complications which led to severe scarring. Luckily it hasn't effected him in the disastrous way it could have but apparently it was a very close call at one point.

I'm fucking glad my parents didn't think i had to get done. It is a stupid tradition.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

humblesmurph

I was cut and I'm damn angry about it.  Not really angry, what is done is done and my parents didn't know any better.  It should be outlawed.  If need be as an intermediate step, doctors should at least be required to strongly advise against it.

Ned

I totally disagree with circumcision.  I cannot understand the logic behind it.

KebertX

Circumcision is so fucking stupid!

And the invisible man in the sky came down and said: Everything you're doing is SIN! The only way to make up for this travesty is FORESKINS! I want lots and lots of foreskins!  Then you won't be sinners anymore, and I'll have to find some other excuse to kill you all!  :shake:

It's just popularized genital mutilation isn't it?  I would never have one of my kids circumcised, it preforms no function whatsoever, it's just some retarded thing people started doing to their dicks in the bronze age!
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Tank

Poll: Do you agree or disagree with circumcision?

On religious or cultural grounds, most definitely not.
On medical grounds perfectly acceptable.

If one looks at the US and the UK one finds that most US males are circumcised while most UK males are not. In the US there is a private medical system and a profit driven ethos, in the UK we have a public medical system with a care driven ethos. Just saying  :cool:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Martin TK

I am circumcised, both my sons are, and until recently I had no problem with it.  I'm still on the fence, hence my vote, mainly because I've never had any problems with being that way.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Businessocks

Quote from: "elliebean"Never appreciated your avatar so much as I did reading this thread, Biz.  roflol    roflol
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

philosoraptor

I find it disturbing that circumcision is still considered acceptable when most people shudder in horror at the stories of cliterectomies and other forms of genital mutilation preformed on women outside of North America.  Leave the peens alone!
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse