News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Evangelical atheist

Started by Guittars, August 02, 2010, 12:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guittars

Hello all. Just my first post to give a quick intro and say hello.

I'm a former Christian. Happily married to a practicing evangelical Christian. For 12 years. We have 2 beautiful boys.

I describe myself as an evangelical atheist as it's something I'm proud of and I'll happily tell ppl. Not trying to convert ppl (conversion implies atheism is a religion itself - something I have had many a duscussion over and am firmly in the "if atheism is a religion then bald is a hair colour" camp).

I enjoy reading - primarily around atheism/religion, playing words with friends (soooo addictive) and guitar hero.

That's the short version.

I hope I am able to participate usefully and interestingly to the discussions on this forum.

G

hismikeness

Words With Friends FTW! Screen name 'hismikenes' on there if you want a game. Only one 's' because I'm an idiot and hit ok without proofreading.  :typehappy:

And welcome to HAF.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

pinkocommie

Welcome!  Hope you like it here.  :D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Welcome aboard!

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Thumpalumpacus

Hiyas.  Do you play the wire-and-wood version of guitar too?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

MagicMarker

Howdy Ev.Atheist -

Looking forward to future discussions.  I'm also in a mixed marriage and interested in atheist evangelism.

Guittars

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

I'm certainly up for WWF - if it ever works. Just seems to constantly crash recently.

I do play the 'real' guitar. But the reason for my name is that 'guittars' (with the tt stress) was the first word my first son said. None of this 'mama' or 'dada' crap - straight in there with what he wanted!

NothingSacred

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching