News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Do you think it is okay to burn holy books?

Started by Beefaice, July 24, 2010, 12:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

It's never okay to burn any books. Book burning is a symbolic destruction of information. Even if that information is terrible, book burning is anti-knowledge.

If you want to protect Christianity by burning something, maybe choose something like the the Christian flag. Don't burn a cross, though, because people tend to associate that with racism.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Thumpalumpacus

A Christian flag?  What, one symbol wasn't enough for them?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"A Christian flag?  What, one symbol wasn't enough for them?

Are you kidding?  They have symbols for symbols of symbols.
I once went to a Catholic christening, after enduring hours of being assaulted by symbols I noticed a large cockroach in the baptismal font, the symbolism for it was never explained.

Thumpalumpacus

legs laney

Wow!  I think it is incredible how many people have replied and even more incredible how many are convinced what is "right" and "wrong"  or even as far as what's "a sin".  Keep in mind there's lots of rights and wrongs out there in the world, depending on who you are and at what stage of life you're living in.  There is also more than one right way to do the same thing.  Our viewpoints are forever changing and that's what makes it all interesting, is it not?  A few years from now what you are so passionate what was "wrong" with something in the past, you may eventually be championing for in the future.  

Maybe I'm confused.  Are we talking about burning a few holy books to gain attention or eradicating an entire religion?  

I know some that think it is a sin to burn a bible, and you will go to hell if you do.  Is is nice to burn a book?  it certainly make less to put in our landfills!  Is it hurting anyone?  One man's rights ends where the next one's begins.

the only time i would say it is malicious is when it is done to eradicate historical evidence, but see no signifigance between a holy or non-holy book (why the differentiation?).  the same would be said for any tangible thing that we could learn from or just gain insight into our past and how we came into being.  I don't think this is the issue being discussed though, is it?  the topic at hand is; is  it immoral to burn books just to burn them, am i wrong?  in that case, why would that matter to you?  why is it so offensive to some?  who cares what the book burner thinks or does (if it isn't causing harm)??  and i agree with our friend who wrote that the believers would support their religion more when they go out to buy more books!!  

i've pretty much wrote a whole chapter here, so i'll stop now before someone wants to burn me.  lol
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
- Autobio

elliebean

QuoteDo you think it is okay to burn holy books?

I don't.

They don't provide much heat, they produce too much smoke, they burn up way too fast, and they leave behind a bad smell for a long time.

Quote from: "url=http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/132739]Answerbag.com[/url]"]Hardwood's, like madrone, live oak, eucalyptus, walnut, black oak etc., are the choice of the serious fire burner. You may pay $300 for a cord of oak, and only $250 for a cord of fir. BUT, because the oak is more dense, it weighs much more than the fir. So you actually get more for your money with hardwood.

Read more: What's the best wood to burn in a fireplace? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/132739#ixzz16DNwz4jm
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

LegendarySandwich

Of course it's okay. I think the whole taboo of burning the Bible, or the American flag, or whatnot is silly. It's just a book/flag. There are many, many more. Who gives a shit?

Cecilie

They're just books. However, I don't see any point in burning any books. Unless The Day After Tomorrow comes true.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"I don't see any point in burning any books. Unless The Day After Tomorrow comes true.
Then you can come over to my place and we can grill hotdogs over them burning bibles  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Cecilie"I don't see any point in burning any books. Unless The Day After Tomorrow comes true.
Then you can come over to my place and we can grill hotdogs over them burning bibles  :D
Well, I do like hotdogs...
The world's what you create.

i_am_i

Thinking about it, I've decided that's perfectly alright to burn any book you want to burn, holy or not. I smell a rat, though, when someone has to make a big deal about it.

"Huh-huh, ah'm burnin' this here book cuz this here's what killed all them people and them folks who read this here book ain't Christian and that ain't right. No sir it ain't. Now ya'll come on down to our church to get some proper bible teachin'. Miss Henry's gonna roast us a big ole pig."
Call me J

Sapere aude

Thumpalumpacus

I don't consider it "immoral" to burn a book, but I do consider it retarded.  Nothing reeks of fear -- or impotence -- like burning ideas.

A better, and more useful,  statement is converting them to toilet paper, anyway.

SSY

I would differentiate between burning a book, and sending out a diktat that all copies of a book are to be burnt and expunged from the records of libraries. One is a (fairly crude imho) statement, the other is an attempt at censorship.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Asmodean

Quote from: "SSY"One is a (fairly crude imho) statement, the other is an attempt at censorship.
"One" is not even a statement unless done in public with some deeper agenda. I see no statement in using a bible for kindling when I need a fire started. Is paper. You know... Cellulose... Burns well.  :raised:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.