News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Do you think it is okay to burn holy books?

Started by Beefaice, July 24, 2010, 12:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleep_in_on_sunday

I recommend putting them in the recycling bin.

joke

But in all honesty, the last thing I want to do is antagonize anybody or piss on their beliefs.
Eyes off my sig weirdo.

TheJackel

Tank

When I stay in hotels I am tempted to take the bible away with me, haven't do it so far.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Tank"When I stay in hotels I am tempted to take the bible away with me, haven't do it so far.

On the Freedom from Religion Foundation website, you can purchase stickers that you can put inside those Gidion Bibles that reads: "Warning! Literal belief in this book may endanger your health and life"  I want some so badly....
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Martin TK"
Quote from: "Tank"When I stay in hotels I am tempted to take the bible away with me, haven't do it so far.

On the Freedom from Religion Foundation website, you can purchase stickers that you can put inside those Gidion Bibles that reads: "Warning! Literal belief in this book may endanger your health and life"  I want some so badly....

I want those my self Or something like "contents not confirmed by scientists" or something
I am so gonna use them every time I visit the bookstore
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

The Magic Pudding

Well boofheads will be boofheads I suppose.
What's the chance of slipping in some bibles printed in a language closer to it's original form.
Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek perhaps.
The Dove Worldians will see this strange, obviously satanic writing and toss them on the pyre.
When someone points out what they've done, they will see the error of their ways and embrace reason.
Or maybe not.

Icarus

The Sacramento CountyPublic Law Library is having an art exhibition with 63 paintings on display.  One of the paintings show a bible with a poster stripped across the bibles cover. The poster reads: Warning! May impair judgement.  The artist, Jeri Wyrick, said she created the piece after the 2004 presidential election. " I came to the conclusion that there must be something about religious faaith that renders people stupid".

The Pacific Justice Institute; A Sacramento based legal defense group specializing in religious issues, has demanded the the Wyrick painting be removed.  Their spokesperson says; "The purpose of the message is to directly attack and demean the foundation of the Christian faith" He added; "If this had been another faith, there would be outrage". He is probably right because Salmon Rushdie is still lying low and the Danish cartoonist is dead. On the other hand he is expressing some degree of outrage himself, though not of the "hit man" type.

I lifted this bit of news from the local NYT affilliate newspaper, July 24. (for our international friends, Sacramento is the state capitol of California)

Kylyssa

Quote from: "Icarus"The Pacific Justice Institute; A Sacramento based legal defense group specializing in religious issues, has demanded the the Wyrick painting be removed.  Their spokesperson says; "The purpose of the message is to directly attack and demean the foundation of the Christian faith" He added; "If this had been another faith, there would be outrage". He is probably right because Salmon Rushdie is still lying low and the Danish cartoonist is dead. On the other hand he is expressing some degree of outrage himself, though not of the "hit man" type.

I lifted this bit of news from the local NYT affilliate newspaper, July 24. (for our international friends, Sacramento is the state capitol of California)

This is akin to the "we don't kill people for this kind of thing like Muslims do so we are both better and right" attitude one finds online a lot.  I've been told that I wouldn't act like I do if I were an atheist in a Muslim country so why don't I move to the Middle East to see how right Christians are.  The implication being that so long as they don't kill people outright any amount of abuse or censorship is their God given right.

Kylyssa

I don't think it's a good idea to burn books.  Educate people instead.

The first time I remember getting in trouble with my parents was when I found my brother's Playboy magazines and drew clothes on the ladies.  My parents were really serious about not defacing or destroying books.

Ihateyoumike

They can burn 'em all they want, they'll just look like idiots doing it. Don't they realize that all books are in digital form now? They can't burn the interwebs.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

AtheistInEden

I love books. I love to hold them, smell them, read them. Even if I don't like a book, I would not be okay with destroying it. I find the idea of book burning - no matter what the book - distasteful and immature.

Reminds me of this jackass I dated in high school who took a crucifix off his mom's bedroom wall and set it on fire just to piss her off. Even at fifteen, I thought it was childish (and creepy...and just plain weird), and I don't think this is really much different.

Byronazriel

This is a quote of myself, from another website which was discussing the same issue. "Personally I don’t mess around with religious artifacts, except for the stuff on my altar, out of respect.

I think that what these people are doing is crossing a line, a very dangerous line.

What they’re doing is gathering a lot of negative energy, taking a book that represents a group of people and their faith, and burning it whilst presumably praying to their god to punish them, or at the very least mess with their free will… This sounds a little bit too much like a dark ritual.

Either way there’s too many bad vibes bouncing around on 9/11 as it is without these folk pouring gas on the fire.

I know a good deal of islamic people, and I know for a fact that the ones that are bombing buildings are the same kind of people as these book burners: A loud, angry, crazy minority that takes their faith down a dark path that it was not meant to go."
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

omfgzmariah

The burning of "holy books" or any other books is just pure ignorance and disrespect.
You're ruining a product of something, not the actual thing. Not to mention that there are thousands of copies.
If you feel that heavily about something then you should take it out on the author, apparently.

Sophus

I can understand it in a symbolic sense but otherwise, why bother? It doesn't really achieve anything. The Bible is still a good thing to read if you plan on appreciating any other work of literature, as it is often alluded to. Not to mention reading the hideous thing is a good way to break the spell of Christianity.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

humblesmurph

Never really thought it was a bad thing.  I burn the bible all the time.  One page at a time.