News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheism in a nutshell?

Started by theInquirer, July 23, 2010, 06:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin TK

Hey Tank,

Where do I fit in your equation, am I one of the 3/4 or the 1/4?    roflol
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Tank

Quote from: "Martin TK"Hey Tank,

Where do I fit in your equation, am I one of the 3/4 or the 1/4?    :hmm: Emotionally in the 1/4, intellectually in the 3/4 I would say  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

I see soul as an emergent property of the brain, which dies when the brain dies.

Of course, I'm not sure how different that really is from "mind", nor am I really concerned enough to examine it deeply.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "theInquirer"1)   Do atheists believe that there definitely is no God, or however you call the supposed creator and master of the world, or other deities, or do they simply not care if there are?
2)   Do atheists believe that there definitely are no souls (spirits, or whatever you wish to call them â€" that which is our conscience, if it were not just a result of the physical processes in our heads), or do they simply not care if there are?
3)   While on the subject, do atheists believe that all existence, all life, and specifically humans also, are just subatomic particles playing out a grand show ever since some starting event and state, according to a set of laws of physics?
4)   Are there any branches of atheism that deviate from the main ideas of atheism? If so, what are they called and how do they differ?
5)   Are there branches of atheism that are actually not opposed to the existence of a God, other deities, souls, etc, but are simply opposed to following any main stream religion, which they deem obviously wrong and unacceptable in its practices?
6)   And finally, if you consider yourself a true atheist, what is at the core of your beliefs? I am asking specifically regarding beliefs of the makings of the universe, the human essence, life, and so on.
1) Personally I'd say it's extremely x extremely unlikely their is a god, so I don't believe in any god.
2) Souls, I've never seen one not attached to a shoe.
I don't like this don't care stuff, I'm not a nihilist.
3) Sub atomic particles?  I suppose you could say I think I am a being temporarily utilising some full size atoms, I'm not sure though.
4) Atheism really only has the one idea, don't believe in gods, not much room for discussion.
5) I think there are atheists who are tolerant of others going about their believing, others are militant anti theists.
When you talk of branches, I think you are on the wrong track.
6) Science has provided an explanation of how life has evolved, some explanation of what we perceive as consciousness.
History shows many civilisations offering many gods.
I don't know about any human essence, orang-utan essence, or rabbit essence.
All I know about the creation of the Universe is fed to me by science popularists.
I accept what they say mostly, they may say something different 20 years on, doesn't make much difference really.

Icarus

Well done Tank.  You have been kind, patient, intelligent, and gentlemanly to a suspect inquirer.