News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

'The Godless Delusion'

Started by Sophus, July 18, 2010, 02:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godlessons

Quote from: "stormcloud"I'd be interested to see if anyone in here has the intellectual courage to read "The Godless Delusion" and honestly employ reason and critical thinking skills to it's contents.
I'm not going to spend my money on it, but if you want to send me a copy, I'll read it.
If your God is so powerful, how did my magic coffee pot get away with stealing his socks?  Prove it didn't happen.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Godlessons"
Quote from: "stormcloud"I'd be interested to see if anyone in here has the intellectual courage to read "The Godless Delusion" and honestly employ reason and critical thinking skills to it's contents.
I'm not going to spend my money on it, but if you want to send me a copy, I'll read it.

Ditto.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

i_am_i

It's its, not "it's." "It's" means it is. So what you've said here is "I'd be interested to see if anyone in here has the intellectual courage to read "The Godless Delusion" and honestly employ reason and critical thinking skills to it is contents."

It makes no sense.

"Intellectual courage." "Honestly employ reason and critical thinking skills." Words, just words. You really don't know what you're talking about.
Call me J

Sapere aude

skwurll

If it's in my local library, I'd check it out.

As well as Dawkins' book, I've never actually read "The God Delusion", so it'd be a pretty interesting experience to read them side by side.

karadan

Quote from: "Martin TK"
Quote from: "Keithzworld"I would be interested to know how much research went into the writing of this book, let alone if they had actually read Dawkins God Delusion or even understood it.

Bingo, and good thought there Keith.  I just finished reading the God Delusion about a week ago, and I found it a very compelling argument against religion and god.  I suspect that some of those on the Religious Right have indeed read it and found it to be as strong an argument as I did; thus, putting the "fear of god" in them that people will read it and see the truth.  Religion is BIG business, something that people sometimes forget.

I wonder if there are any cases where staunch theists have started to question their own faith after reading the God Delusion?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan"I wonder if there are any cases where staunch theists have started to question their own faith after reading the God Delusion?
Loads. I used to read and respond to all the new members at RDF, the last time I worked it out that was over 4,000 so I had a very good idea of what brought people to RDF and The God Delusion was a regular cause and regularly stated as a reason for people to escape from the comfort blanket of institutionalise superstition (religion).

Direct testimonials can be found here http://richarddawkins.net/letters/converts
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

Wow Tank, that's awesome sauce.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Reasonable

Quote from: "Sophus"So this book called 'The Godless Delusion: A Catholic Challenge to Modern Atheism' is suppose to be... uhu, challenging. My biggest problem with this book is not the mundane same old crappy arguments so much as the fact that they are basically saying, "nu-uh you are!" to Dawkins' books. It seems many theists are too uncreative to come back with any original material of their own.

Hi Sophus:  Why did you even bother, you'd know from the first page what they were going to write about and how they are going to send you to hell for not believing in them in the first place.

Edward the Theist

I'm not sure how the Catholics intend to prove their version of God exists. Granted, the traditional philosophical arguments came from them, and there is still a lot of power in them, but the are inflexible in their opinion. For instance, I think evolution is one of the greatest arguments for the existence of God. Not the Catholic version of God, but of a primordial consciousness.

The problem with primordial consciousness, though, is that it makes everyone equal in power. I mean it has the same effect as atheism on religion--it destroys it.

Tank

Quote from: "Edward the Theist"I'm not sure how the Catholics intend to prove their version of God exists. Granted, the traditional philosophical arguments came from them, and there is still a lot of power in them, but the are inflexible in their opinion. For instance, I think evolution is one of the greatest arguments for the existence of God. Not the Catholic version of God, but of a primordial consciousness.

The problem with primordial consciousness, though, [strike:20pwnel6]is that it makes everyone equal in power[/strike:20pwnel6] is that has yet to be shown to exist. I mean it has the same effect as atheism on religion--it destroys it.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

philosoraptor

Quote from: "Edward the Theist"I'm not sure how the Catholics intend to prove their version of God exists. Granted, the traditional philosophical arguments came from them, and there is still a lot of power in them

Exactly what "traditional" philosophical arguments would those be, exactly?
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse