News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

So my sister "came out" as a christian...

Started by hasone, July 17, 2010, 02:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasone

And I went, "what?".

Sorry, I like to tease a bit with my topic names. Some background.

I was raised in a family without religion, and growing up never gave much thought to it. I remember going to a christian summer camp when I was little, and the grown-ups there were telling me about got and I accepted God the way I accepted other things grown-ups told me, as just part of the way the world is, but after I stopped going there I stopped thinking about it until I was a teenager.

When I started thinking about it, I found no reason to believe in God, I knew more about science and logic and the religion thing seemed rather irrational, and that was that.

So my sister went away to college in the South (not that it particularly matters, there's a church on/near most campuses), and came back and was going to church every (other) Sunday. I went, "what?". I could not understand. My gut reaction was to question her, preach to her, convert her to my belief system. She was chasing imaginary pixies in the sky! I had to save her!

I choose that word deliberately.  I've heard tales of family trying to save their lost atheist black sheeps, bring them back into the fold. I wanted to do the same thing, and I have to admit, I did some of it. I gave in to my urge to save her.  Of course, I quickly realized that if I kept this up I was going to lose her, so I stopped. It helps that, being a child of my parents, she pushed nothing on me, so pretty soon I started feeling guilty.

I realized later I shouldn't have reacted that way at all.  

But I did.

Tank

Welcome aboard.

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

Welcome, welcome!

I can speak to this somewhat, as I have been in the same situation - from the other side.  I was the Christian convert.  I was similarly born to delightfully secular parents, who were, to say the least, baffled by my sudden conversion to fundamentalist Christianity in my early teens.  My father's response to this was perfect and priceless, and I will always be grateful to him for it.  He never ridiculed, mocked or demanded - anything - regarding my belief system.  But at the same time, he never quite let me be.  He would, periodically mind you, engage me in what he liked to refer to as "verbal jousts" in which he would question my specific beliefs - with absolute sincerity, never with ridicule or condemnation, his sincere curiosity was the key to his success.  His questions were always delivered with a deft touch and a light heart, but this only made them penetrate the deeper, because they were always incisive and directly to the point.  I would often become flustered at my inability to respond satisfactorily, but he never would.  If I ever became too emotional, rather than dropping the conversation, he would back off a little, put his arm around me and reassure me of his love.  I never appreciated this at the time, but he was showing me how important our intimacy was to him, and simultaneously demonstrating how important it was never to stop thinking, no matter how uncomfortable thinking can sometimes be.  In the end, for me, this strategy worked precisely because I never got the sense that his love was contingent on the outcome of the debate, and because it taught me the value of never being satisfied with any belief system you might currently possess - it wasn't just about Christianity.  In the end, he let me deconvert myself.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Quote from: "The Black Jester"Welcome, welcome!

I can speak to this somewhat, as I have been in the same situation - from the other side.  I was the Christian convert.  I was similarly born to delightfully secular parents, who were, to say the least, baffled by my sudden conversion to fundamentalist Christianity in my early teens.  My father's response to this was perfect and priceless, and I will always be grateful to him for it.  He never ridiculed, mocked or demanded - anything - regarding my belief system.  But at the same time, he never quite let me be.  He would, periodically mind you, engage me in what he liked to refer to as "verbal jousts" in which he would question my specific beliefs - with absolute sincerity, never with ridicule or condemnation, his sincere curiosity was the key to his success.  His questions were always delivered with a deft touch and a light heart, but this only made them penetrate the deeper, because they were always incisive and directly to the point.  I would often become flustered at my inability to respond satisfactorily, but he never would.  If I ever became too emotional, rather than dropping the conversation, he would back off a little, put his arm around me and reassure me of his love.  I never appreciated this at the time, but he was showing me how important our intimacy was to him, and simultaneously demonstrating how important it was never to stop thinking, no matter how uncomfortable thinking can sometimes be.  In the end, for me, this strategy worked precisely because I never got the sense that his love was contingent on the outcome of the debate, and because it taught me the value of never being satisfied with any belief system you might currently possess - it wasn't just about Christianity.  In the end, he let me deconvert myself.
Sensible bloke your Dad!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

Quote from: "Tank"Sensible bloke your Dad!

Indeed he is...I've been very lucky.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Martin TK

Quote from: "The Black Jester"
Quote from: "Tank"Sensible bloke your Dad!

Indeed he is...I've been very lucky.

I did something similar with my children growing up, I let them go to church, then we would have open discussions on what they were feeling.  I didn't make it confrontational, but I always made them defend their positions.  Now that my oldest has a wife who is more fundamentalist Christian, he and I have had some very interesting internet debates, but his wife hates me because I am an atheist.

Well, welcome to the HAF.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

pinkocommie

Welcome!  I was raised in a secular household and my sister became Christian too.  I think she kind of expected the rest of us to make a big deal out of her sudden belief, but we pretty much ignored it since our parents always taught us that belief/disbelief was a personal choice anyway.  The only fight we ever had as a family about it was when she started talking about how evolution could really just be a plot by the scientific community to undermine Christianity.  But as far as wanting to save her or anything - didn't really react that way.  My general reaction was 'huh.'

I hope you like it here!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/