News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Have humans stopped evolving?

Started by none123, July 14, 2010, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

QuoteWhy people don't have children is the combination of selection pressures, the result is selection, the result of that will be evolution, where that will lead we won't see, as we'll all be dead.
LOL. This reminds of the movie "Idiocracy." Intelligent people did not reproduce because self advancement. Meanwhile, the idiots grew in numbers which eventually led to the extinction of intelligent people.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

karadan

Anyone seen the film Idiocracy?  :shake:

The exception is that all my sisters' kids (four girls, one boy) will grow up to be over-achievers (two of them already are) so hopefully they'll be able to help even the scales for the future dumb vs intelligent genetic drift.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"Our heads are shrinking! Seriously... the human cranium is getting slightly smaller which may mean we're packing more brain power in less space. Also I've been told, though I don't know how reliable the source, that the armor made to fit the largest warriors from around 500 years ago is can now only be suited for rather small men today.
I always hear that crocodiles or great white sharks have "stopped" evolving.
If one goes to The Royal Armouries and looks at the suits of armour I doubt I'd fit any of them and I'm Mr Average. People were noticeable smaller in days gone by.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Martin TK

Quote from: "karadan"Anyone seen the film Idiocracy?  :shake:

The exception is that all my sisters' kids (four girls, one boy) will grow up to be over-achievers (two of them already are) so hopefully they'll be able to help even the scales for the future dumb vs intelligent genetic drift.

Well for what it's worth, I'd breed with you, if for no other reason that our children would be super intelligent,,, but seriously, don't have children if you don't want to, and enjoy your sister's kids, spoil them, then send them home for her to deal with.  It's more fun that way.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Tank

Quote from: "Martin TK"Well for what it's worth, I'd breed with you,
:eek:  I think you may find that physically impossible and I'm not talking about the distance either!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

SSY

Quote from: "Tank"If one goes to The Royal Armouries and looks at the suits of armour I doubt I'd fit any of them and I'm Mr Average. People were noticeable smaller in days gone by.

Nutrition will definitely play a part here, I doubt much change would happen over 500 years in genetic terms.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tank

Quote from: "SSY"
Quote from: "Tank"If one goes to The Royal Armouries and looks at the suits of armour I doubt I'd fit any of them and I'm Mr Average. People were noticeable smaller in days gone by.

Nutrition will definitely play a part here, I doubt much change would happen over 500 years in genetic terms.
500/20 = 25 generations, bugger all in an evolutionary time frame really. But consider the technological changes that 25 generations could see. It does make me wonder what humanity will look like when computers will have been 'brighter' than people for possibly 450(?) years. The world could be a very, very different place.

karadan

Quote from: "Martin TK"Well for what it's worth, I'd breed with you, if for no other reason that our children would be super intelligent,,,

Are you a super hot chick who looks a little like Claire Danes? Actually, scratch that.. Are you Claire Danes?  :D

I have a funny feeling you're a guy though, unless Claire Danes likes to go by the pseudonym Martin TK.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.