News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Christian Legal Society v. Martinez

Started by Sophus, July 12, 2010, 02:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2010/07/christianist-professor-calls-for-religious-mccarthyism.html

QuoteDeparting Justice John Paul Stevens summed up the issue at hand in his concurrence, in a praiseworthy reminder that religiously inspired bigotry is no different than any other kind of bigotry...

I got a news alert directing me to this column, by Mike Adams on the ultra-right-wing site Townhall. As you'd expect, he's furious that the government won't cooperate in spreading his prejudice, and he's threatening to do something about it:

"...when I get back to the secular university in August, I plan to round up the students I know who are most hostile to atheism. Then I'm going to get them to help me find atheist-haters willing to join atheist student groups across the South. I plan to use my young fundamentalist Christian warriors to undermine the mission of every group that disagrees with me on the existence of God.

That means an invading group can turn a smaller, weaker group into second class citizens on campus. That's what I intend to do to those groups who do not believe in God.

I do not seek robust debate. I seek power over the godless heathen dissident."

This man works at a University. I bet it's not long until he gets the boot but still... kinda scary.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

I've been debating with others elsewhere whether this is a troll or not.  I don't think it is; I believe the patina of satire was overlaid in order to figleaf his desires, as they appear in his other posts.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sophus

Very, very possible. I'm going to fall back on Poe's law.  :crazy:  There are so many nutjobs out there I don't know who's serious anymore.

EDIT: Looking through his other articles now, you're right. Although I still think he's quite crazy. He wrote a whole book mocking feminists and his first post tried to equivalate LGBT groups to NAMBLA.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

The Magic Pudding

QuoteI do not seek robust debate. I seek power over the godless heathen dissident."

I don't think he deserves debate, just ridicule and laughter.
These types are used to having power over the gullible.
It’s not so easy to achieve power over people who can think for themselves.

Martin TK

Quote from: "Sophus"http://www.daylightatheism.org/2010/07/christianist-professor-calls-for-religious-mccarthyism.html

QuoteDeparting Justice John Paul Stevens summed up the issue at hand in his concurrence, in a praiseworthy reminder that religiously inspired bigotry is no different than any other kind of bigotry...

I got a news alert directing me to this column, by Mike Adams on the ultra-right-wing site Townhall. As you'd expect, he's furious that the government won't cooperate in spreading his prejudice, and he's threatening to do something about it:

"...when I get back to the secular university in August, I plan to round up the students I know who are most hostile to atheism. Then I'm going to get them to help me find atheist-haters willing to join atheist student groups across the South. I plan to use my young fundamentalist Christian warriors to undermine the mission of every group that disagrees with me on the existence of God.

That means an invading group can turn a smaller, weaker group into second class citizens on campus. That's what I intend to do to those groups who do not believe in God.

I do not seek robust debate. I seek power over the godless heathen dissident."

This man works at a University. I bet it's not long until he gets the boot but still... kinda scary.

This reminds me of a lawsuit brought by Christian fundamentalists saying that colleges that "discriminate" against Christians who believe that homosexuality is wrong, and they have the "right" to discriminate against gays as a requirement of their religion.  Of course it didn't go very far, but it was a huge lawsuit.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Thumpalumpacus

I read a brilliant idea elsewhere:  let him and his theist friends join all the atheist organizations they wish; then buy ad-space in the local paper and publish the membership rolls.

SSY

Quote from: "Martin TK"This reminds me of a lawsuit brought by Christian fundamentalists saying that colleges that "discriminate" against Christians who believe that homosexuality is wrong, and they have the "right" to discriminate against gays as a requirement of their religion.  Of course it didn't go very far, but it was a huge lawsuit.

"How dare you discriminate against us! We demand the right to discriminate, while not being discriminated against for any reason!"
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Thumpalumpacus

Yes, it's funny that they don't pray for special treatment, but rather seek recourse in "rights" given by the laws of man.

Asmodean

Uhm... People are crazy, yes..? (And by people, I mean them redneck-type Americans from like... The Bible Beltâ,,¢)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

I'm a native Texan.  What are you getting at?

Tank

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'm a native Texan.  What are you getting at?

'nuff said  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Now that warms my pointy little heart.

KDbeads

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I'm a native Texan.  What are you getting at?

'nuff said  lol
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Sophus

Our friend Mike Adams spent some time in Texas...

QuoteUpon getting his doctorate in 1993, Adams, then an atheist and a Democrat, was hired by UNC-Wilmington to teach in the criminal justice program. A few years later, Adams abandoned his atheism and also became a Republican. He also nearly abandoned teaching when he took a one-year leave of absence to study law at UNC-Chapel Hill in 1998. After returning to teach at UNC-Wilmington, Adams won the Faculty Member of the Year award (issued by the Office of the Dean of Students) for the second time in 2000.
I always wonder about people like this. It seems like a lot of the Christians in the public eyes claim, "Oh yeah, I was an atheist when I was young and dumb. Har, har, har."