News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

New HIV Antibodies Kill 91% of Strains

Started by curiosityandthecat, July 08, 2010, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Damn, science is cool.

QuoteIn a significant step toward an AIDS vaccine, U.S. government scientists have discovered three powerful antibodies, the strongest of which neutralizes 91% of HIV strains, more than any AIDS antibody yet discovered.

Looking closely at the strongest antibody, they have detailed exactly what part of the virus it targets and how it attacks that site.

The antibodies were discovered in the cells of a 60-year-old African-American gay man, known in the scientific literature as Donor 45, whose body made the antibodies naturally. Researchers screened 25 million of his cells to find 12 that produced the antibodies. Now the trick will be for scientists to develop a vaccine or other methods to make anyone's body produce them.

Original article: Wall Street Journal
-Curio

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

Yay! For 60 year old gay African American!! + science!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Kylyssa

Totally Fucking Awesome!

Now, when an AIDS/HIV vaccine is developed wanna bet the fundies fight its distribution tooth and nail?

Tank

Quote from: "Kylyssa"Totally Fucking Awesome!

Now, when an AIDS/HIV vaccine is developed wanna bet the fundies fight its distribution tooth and nail?
Do Bears shit in the woods!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

Yeah, my first thought was RU-486.  Compassion be damned, right?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Davin

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Yeah, my first thought was RU-486.  Compassion be damned, right?
And it causes autism.

(just a joke, relax).
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

SSY

If this was on Facebook, I would "like" it
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ellainix

Quote from: "Davin"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Yeah, my first thought was RU-486.  Compassion be damned, right?
And it causes autism.

(just a joke, relax).
WE HOPE
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Davin

Quote from: "Ellainix"
Quote from: "Davin"
And it causes autism.

(just a joke, relax).
WE HOPE
The mercury that is used in vaccines is not the type of mercury that is linked to causing autism, it works through the system in less than 36 hours while the bad kind sticks around for much longer. Also there isn't enough in the vaccines that do use mercury to be of any concern even if it doesn't work through your system. So relax. Vaccines are very necessary since it can eliminate some very bad diseases and when people don't do give vaccines to their children they're not only putting their own kids at risk but the general population. It really was a joke, people should do real research on it and not take some celebrity as an authority.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.