News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Oil spill hits home for me

Started by KDbeads, June 24, 2010, 04:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

That's a good point Recusant. I've just had a cursory look around and haven't actually found any instances of Obama saying anything other than BP.. Shame on me for taking what the media say verbatim.  :shake:

I'll continue to look around later but feel i won't actually find anything.

I feel a strongly worded email being sent to the BBC would be appropriate at this point.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

LoneMateria

This is definitely a terrible thing.  Pensacola is my home and that's my beach.  Before the oil hit my fiancee and I did visit the beach.  I'm pretty sure it's closed off and they have crews out there shoveling oil.  20 years ago a big spill hit Alaska's beaches.  Today 20 years later you can still dig down in the sand and hit oil.  If that isn't bad enough it is hurricane season.  Imagine what a hurricane with a 20' storm surge will do.  We already have oil in the sound side.  Imagine our downtown area covered in thick oil.  The hurricane hitting Mexico this week is a sigh of relief for us.  But the season is early and from what I've heard they won't even stop the oil from coming out of the hole until August.  If that gets delayed then September is the most active month for storms during hurricane season.  That's bad enough to think about as it is, not even taking into consideration that they are predicting this to be a very active hurricane season.

I've heard people saying they are praying for us.  Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  That is true for us in Pensacola at the beaches.  They just hired more then 700 people to clean up oil from the beach.  It is so hot out there because of the oil that our workers work for 15 minutes then take a 45 minute break.  At least this job is some supplemental revenue for people.  Our local economy is devastated and our unemployment rate is rising.  No one wants to take their family to the beach that is coated in oil.  People who have made their living on/near the beaches are in trouble.  I know there is a lot of finger pointing going around we just want it cleaned up.  Assign blame and bill the responsible party later.  Let's clean up this mess.

Also to lighten things up a bit here is a funny youtube video about BP.
[youtube:13jr4ecc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM[/youtube:13jr4ecc]
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

KDbeads

Just imagine an Ivan sized storm again..... or an Opal... or even a Frederick....  The house is just a little ways up from Floridatown bay....  Just.... well I don't want to even think about a surge hitting Escambia bay.

:verysad:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

I remember when an oil tanker (Torry Canyon) ran aground in the English channel when I was a kid. I vividly recall that they talked a lot about storms breaking up oil slicks and being a good thing. I assume the the nature of hurricanes and the geography of the gulf mitigates against this effect?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Recusant"Oh, and just in case anybody here was worried, Sarah Palin is sticking by "Drill, Baby, Drill."  In particular, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge looks even better to her now.  I'm soo proud of her.  Bursting with mavricky wisdom, she is!

Gosh darn it, I told you guys that we needs the gosh darn wildlife drilled up here. I can see Russia from here and I can tell you that they are definitely drilling up here. Aren't we going to beat the neighbors I can see? I've learned even how to read lips but I can't seem to understand the Russian very well. Then again you guys who aren't mavericks can't understand a gosh darn word I say, can you?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?