News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Filanthropod here

Started by Filanthropod, July 01, 2010, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filanthropod

Another laughable post by Tank. Let's break it down.

I have a world view, and I don't want to change it - Well not really, it's just that you desperately want to convert me to your world view. It frustrates you that you can't convert me.

The foundation of my psyche is that I'm not responsible for anything - Really? In that case, all hail Tank, the omniscient.

You expected me to behave exactly the way I have - Again, all hail Tank, the omniscient.

I have come here to try and force people to believe me... - Actually that's completely incorrect, I haven't tried to force anyone to do anything. Are you so feeble that you actually feel forced? Wow, that's amazing.

...in ways that I wouldn't accept myself - Really? All hail Tank, the omniscient.

I want to feel loved by my great sky daddy... - Well that's because I'm a christian, right? Wrong, try again.

...who will make things better in the end - Really? Well, all hail Tank the omniscient. I had no idea I believed that. Thanks for the heads up.

Get with the programme, there is no [god]... - All hail Tank, the omniscient, the omnipresent. And there you go again, trying so hard to convert me. You're the king of irony, Tank.

...to bring me eternal life - Really? Is that what I believe? All hail Tank, the omniscient.

You're dead meat - Huh? Are you going to beat me up? Ok ok, that one was cheeky, I know what you meant. You were just trying to convert me, I get it.

I'd better get used to the idea that my life is finite, and I'm a mortal... - Right you are, reverend. My, we are particularly preachy today.

...there is no hard evidence to the contrary - What? You went everywhere, had a butchers, and saw nothing? Good work, sherlock. All hail Tank the omnipresent.

All of the above constitutes a reason why the ideas that I support are dangerous - Can you run that by me again? How did you work that one out? Oh, yes of course, I forget. All hail Tank the omniscient.

My ideas are dangerous - I assure you and your fellow nonbelievers that I pose no threat. I promise. The nearest Al-C.I.A.da cell is miles from me and I'll be damned if I'm getting on a bus. Besides, they serve awful cakes at those meetings, trust me. And they never have any bacon sandwiches. Yeah, I know, go figure.

My ideas are more dangerous than any war, weapon, or disease - Haven't you been listening? I just said It's bloody miles away!

I deny reality - Not really, no. I just don't believe you when you say that there's no god, however much you desperately want to convert me.

Denying science is the worst sin of all - Gee, I thought murder was pretty high up on the list, but obviously belief in your doctrine seems more important to you. By the way, you really are starting to sound like a preacher. What other sins should I abstain from, reverend?

The scientific method - All hail the holy scientific method. By the way, does it come with commandments?

Holy books {blah blah blah] - Are you a christian? Why are you talking about holy books now? Gee, one minute you preach from the atheist pulpit, the next you're talking about holy books. I'm sorry but I don't know nearly as much as you do about holy books. Oh I get it. You think I'm a christian, I see. All hail Tank the omniscient.

Some do contain nuggets of wisdom - Well, I'm sure you know more about that than I do, reverend.

As long as people like me try to shoehorn god into the gaps, our understanding of the universe will be damaged - Hold on. Denying science is more serious than murder, understanding of the universe is more important than anything else, and every last individual who believes in god must be eradicated or at least converted. This is of the utmost importance, so that the self righteous self procalimed elite can shine. You sound like a nazi. Alles Heil Tank, the omniscient, omnibenevolent.

You think my ideas are truly evil - The only idea you know so far is that I believe in god. That's singular, not plural. Aaah, yes yes I get it. All hail Tank, the omniscient, who knows all my thoughts.

Everything else - Desperate, frenzied preaching.

I said I like a difference of opinion - After that post, I'm loving it. Maybe you should learn to like differences.

All hail Tank, the omniscient.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Filanthropod"Another laughable post by Tank. Let's break it down.

I have a world view, and I don't want to change it - Well not really, it's just that you desperately want to convert me to your world view. It frustrates you that you can't convert me.

The foundation of my psyche is that I'm not responsible for anything - Really? In that case, all hail Tank, the omniscient.

You expected me to behave exactly the way I have - Again, all hail Tank, the omniscient.

I have come here to try and force people to believe me... - Actually that's completely incorrect, I haven't tried to force anyone to do anything. Are you so feeble that you actually feel forced? Wow, that's amazing.

...in ways that I wouldn't accept myself - Really? All hail Tank, the omniscient.

I want to feel loved by my great sky daddy... - Well that's because I'm a christian, right? Wrong, try again.

...who will make things better in the end - Really? Well, all hail Tank the omniscient. I had no idea I believed that. Thanks for the heads up.

Get with the programme, there is no [god]... - All hail Tank, the omniscient, the omnipresent. And there you go again, trying so hard to convert me. You're the king of irony, Tank.

...to bring me eternal life - Really? Is that what I believe? All hail Tank, the omniscient.

You're dead meat - Huh? Are you going to beat me up? Ok ok, that one was cheeky, I know what you meant. You were just trying to convert me, I get it.

I'd better get used to the idea that my life is finite, and I'm a mortal... - Right you are, reverend. My, we are particularly preachy today.

...there is no hard evidence to the contrary - What? You went everywhere, had a butchers, and saw nothing? Good work, sherlock. All hail Tank the omnipresent.

All of the above constitutes a reason why the ideas that I support are dangerous - Can you run that by me again? How did you work that one out? Oh, yes of course, I forget. All hail Tank the omniscient.

My ideas are dangerous - I assure you and your fellow nonbelievers that I pose no threat. I promise. The nearest Al-C.I.A.da cell is miles from me and I'll be damned if I'm getting on a bus. Besides, they serve awful cakes at those meetings, trust me. And they never have any bacon sandwiches. Yeah, I know, go figure.

My ideas are more dangerous than any war, weapon, or disease - Haven't you been listening? I just said It's bloody miles away!

I deny reality - Not really, no. I just don't believe you when you say that there's no god, however much you desperately want to convert me.

Denying science is the worst sin of all - Gee, I thought murder was pretty high up on the list, but obviously belief in your doctrine seems more important to you. By the way, you really are starting to sound like a preacher. What other sins should I abstain from, reverend?

The scientific method - All hail the holy scientific method. By the way, does it come with commandments?

Holy books {blah blah blah] - Are you a christian? Why are you talking about holy books now? Gee, one minute you preach from the atheist pulpit, the next you're talking about holy books. I'm sorry but I don't know nearly as much as you do about holy books. Oh I get it. You think I'm a christian, I see. All hail Tank the omniscient.

Some do contain nuggets of wisdom - Well, I'm sure you know more about that than I do, reverend.

As long as people like me try to shoehorn god into the gaps, our understanding of the universe will be damaged - Hold on. Denying science is more serious than murder, understanding of the universe is more important than anything else, and every last individual who believes in god must be eradicated or at least converted. This is of the utmost importance, so that the self righteous self procalimed elite can shine. You sound like a nazi. Alles Heil Tank, the omniscient, omnibenevolent.

You think my ideas are truly evil - The only idea you know so far is that I believe in god. That's singular, not plural. Aaah, yes yes I get it. All hail Tank, the omniscient, who knows all my thoughts.

I said I like a difference of opinion - After that post, I'm loving it. Maybe you should learn to like differences.

tl;dr
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tank

lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KebertX

Quote from: "Filanthropod"The foundation of my psyche is that I'm not responsible for anything - Really? In that case, all hail Tank, the omniscient.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"...in ways that I wouldn't accept myself - Really? All hail Tank, the omniscient.
Quote from: "Filanthropod"...who will make things better in the end - Really? Well, all hail Tank the omniscient. I had no idea I believed that. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote from: "Filanthropod"...to bring me eternal life - Really? Is that what I believe? All hail Tank, the omniscient.
Quote from: "Filanthropod"All of the above constitutes a reason why the ideas that I support are dangerous - Can you run that by me again? How did you work that one out? Oh, yes of course, I forget. All hail Tank the omniscient.
Quote from: "Filanthropod"Oh I get it. You think I'm a christian, I see. All hail Tank the omniscient.

"all hail Tank, the omniscient." is not an argument.  It's an ad hominem attack.  Other fallacies in your petty response include...

"laughable" your just undermining the argument with a Fallacy of weak induction

Quote from: "Filanthropod"I have a world view, and I don't want to change it - Well not really, it's just that you desperately want to convert me to your world view. It frustrates you that you can't convert me.
Quote from: "Filanthropod"Get with the programme, there is no [god]... - All hail Tank, the omniscient, the omnipresent. And there you go again, trying so hard to convert me. You're the king of irony, Tank.
tu quoque: Avoiding making an argument for your behavior by saying "You too!". Circumstantial ad hominem.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"I have come here to try and force people to believe me... - Actually that's completely incorrect, I haven't tried to force anyone to do anything. Are you so feeble that you actually feel forced? Wow, that's amazing.
Conclusion doesn't not follow from any premise: That's not even an argument.  Another ad hominem at the end!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"I want to feel loved by my great sky daddy... - Well that's because I'm a christian, right? Wrong, try again.
False Dichotomy? Not quite. Try again!  It's still not even an argument!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"You're dead meat - Huh? Are you going to beat me up? Ok ok, that one was cheeky, I know what you meant. You were just trying to convert me, I get it.
Red Herring.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"I'd better get used to the idea that my life is finite, and I'm a mortal... - Right you are, reverend. My, we are particularly preachy today.
Circumstantial ad hominem! Tu Quoque!  Stop pawning your own illogical-ness off on Tank!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"...there is no hard evidence to the contrary - What? You went everywhere, had a butchers, and saw nothing? Good work, sherlock. All hail Tank the omnipresent.
Mustn't forget Occam's Razor. This is a complex Question, instead of making an argument you present a question for which any answer simply supports your claim.  In this instance, the "argument" the question is meant to support is actually just another ad hominem!  I will say one thing, he should have changed his statement to "there is no hard evidence to the contrary THAT WE KNOW OF."

Quote from: "Filanthropod"My ideas are dangerous - I assure you and your fellow nonbelievers that I pose no threat. I promise. The nearest Al-C.I.A.da cell is miles from me and I'll be damned if I'm getting on a bus. Besides, they serve awful cakes at those meetings, trust me. And they never have any bacon sandwiches. Yeah, I know, go figure.
Petitio Principii. You create the illusion that inadequate premises support your conclusion.  This looks like Either a Straw Man, or a Hasty Generalization.  But really, it's just unintelligible.  Being unintelligible doesn't count as a fallacy.  It's just a bad argument

Quote from: "Filanthropod"My ideas are more dangerous than any war, weapon, or disease - Haven't you been listening? I just said It's bloody miles away!
Non Sequitur?

Quote from: "Filanthropod"I deny reality - Not really, no. I just don't believe you when you say that there's no god, however much you desperately want to convert me.
Tu Quoque.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"Denying science is the worst sin of all - Gee, I thought murder was pretty high up on the list, but obviously belief in your doctrine seems more important to you. By the way, you really are starting to sound like a preacher. What other sins should I abstain from, reverend?
While I aggree with you on this specific point (Murder is worse than denying science)This is a Fallacy of Weak Induction: Appeal to Unqualified Authority. In this case you are using sarcasm to discredit your opponent to make it appear that HE is the one who has employed this fallacy.  In this respect, you have also created a Straw Man!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"The scientific method - All hail the holy scientific method. By the way, does it come with commandments?
First, these are the Commandments of the scientific method, as opposed to the logical chain of religious mythology.

Secondly, this is another Tu Quoque.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"Holy books {blah blah blah] - Are you a christian? Why are you talking about holy books now? Gee, one minute you preach from the atheist pulpit, the next you're talking about holy books. I'm sorry but I don't know nearly as much as you do about holy books. Oh I get it. You think I'm a christian, I see. All hail Tank the omniscient.
There are types of God- Belief I respect, and types I don't. If you don't hide your spirituality behind religious mythology and superstition, and, as you imply, are not a Christian, and don't care about holy books, I may be able to respect that.

That being said, this is an Appeal to Ignorance (Another fallacy of weak induction.) "I see. All hail Tank the omniscient." = Circumstantial Ad Hominem.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"Some do contain nuggets of wisdom - Well, I'm sure you know more about that than I do, reverend.
Appeal to Unqualified Authority. In this case you are using sarcasm to discredit your opponent to make it appear that HE is the one who has employed this fallacy.  In this respect, you have also created a Straw Man!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"As long as people like me try to shoehorn god into the gaps, our understanding of the universe will be damaged - Hold on. Denying science is more serious than murder, understanding of the universe is more important than anything else, and every last individual who believes in god must be eradicated or at least converted. This is of the utmost importance, so that the self righteous self procalimed elite can shine. You sound like a nazi. Alles Heil Tank, the omniscient, omnibenevolent.
SO MANY FALLACIES, THIS MADE MY DAY!

Missing the Point.  Suppressed Evidence. False Cause. Slippery Slope. Weak Analogy. Begging the Question. Straw Man. Appeal to unqualified Authority.  And a disgusting AD HOMINEM!

Quote from: "Filanthropod"You think my ideas are truly evil - The only idea you know so far is that I believe in god. That's singular, not plural. Aaah, yes yes I get it. All hail Tank, the omniscient, who knows all my thoughts.
Ad Hominem.

Quote from: "Filanthropod"Everything else - Desperate, frenzied preaching.
Ad Hominem. Suppressed Evidence.

~

I'm majoring in philosophy at my local Community College.  This was an excellent way for me to study for my Logic and Critical Thinking Midterm.   So many fallacies, it's always good to practice recognizing them.
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Tank

@ KebertX

Glad to have been of assistance in your mid-term  lol

I think I'll start a thread to discuss the 'Murder is worse than science denial' comment and expand my thoughts on that. I'll be interested to have my thoughts criticised. Thread here viewtopic.php?p=72321#p72321
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.