News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Freethought and Atheist Charity

Started by Whitney, June 29, 2010, 06:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblepot

On that note gay rights is also acceptable (excuse the double post)

Whitney

Quote from: "Bubblepot"Screw that- start posting charitable organizations under the name of Satanism!

Um..ya...I don't think they are that into charity.

Bubblepot

Well as I said it doesn't have to be Satanists if you, ah, can't really be bothered finding any links. <_<
Gay rights is also acceptable.

Whitney

gay rights is not an atheist based charity; it's just a cause ...the whole point of this thread is to collect lists of people doing good in the name of being an atheist or freethinker.

I wouldn't even put satanists on the list even if they had a charity...don't' want to be associated with it.

Bubblepot

Why not? I hope this isn't the whole "Satanists are evil and will eat your children" stereotype, because I have many friends who are Satanists who are actually shy, polite people and would be hurt and offended if that were the case, and there are many friendly Satanist online communities.

OldGit

This hardly counts, but I frequently wear one of my FSM T-shirts or my FSM pullover when working with adults with learning difficulties!  (I'm a volunteer for a charity.)  It's not ethical to talk religion with these people, but they all know and smile at the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Best I can do.  ;D

Medusa

Quote from: Whitney on December 24, 2010, 06:51:43 AM
Quote from: BubblepotScrew that- start posting charitable organizations under the name of Satanism!

Um..ya...I don't think they are that into charity.
We are. It's just that Satanism is such an individual religion, we are individual in who we choose to give charity to. We also tend not to advertize. I personally give charity to actual individuals who I come in contact with in my neighborhood. I also gave to a music program through my work at Hot Topic, since music in school for me is very important.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Evilbeagle

I would actually be quietly outraged if someone postulated charities to be in the same boat as Satanists  >:(

The whole concept of LaVeyanism is against hypocrisy and the herd mentality.

I give to charities, as and when it suits me and to those charities I personally approve of.

England expects every man to heed the old lie: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Medusa

QuoteI give to charities, as and when it suits me and to those charities I personally approve of.
Exactly! :)
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Amicale

I know this is an old thread, but hey, charity never goes out of style.

A few interesting ones you may never have heard of:

The Atheist Centre of India. http://www.atheistcentre.in/default.html

QuoteAtheist Centre provides many services such as a Working Women's Hostel and a home for women with social problems. One of their programs, Vasavya Centre for Social Development, provides outreach services for more than 50 villages. The outreach program includes education, health care, advanced medical care including eye banks and corneal transplants, social programs, training for women, counseling and career guidance, drug and alcohol rehabilitation, sanitation facilities, drinking water facilities, sex education and contraception education, youth programs, and crèches for children along with many other humanitarian services.

Atheist Volunteers, started up by the Rational Response Squad. http://www.atheistvolunteers.org/

QuoteHere are some things we're thinking about:

* We'll have shirts for our activities in public like "Atheist Volunteer" and "I do good things, and I don't believe in a God"
* Donation drives to assist in helping victims of natural disasters
* Engaging in environmental cleanups
* Hands on assistance for natural disasters.
* Clothing drives and toy drives for the needy
* Assistance at homeless shelters
* As we grow in size and find the right people, we want to go to impoverished nations to assist (hands on).
* All of our charity work will be tracked, records kept, pictures taken and available permanently for viewing.

Earthward, Inc. http://earthward.org/mission.shtml

QuoteEarth's Atheist Resistance To Holy Wars And Religious Devastation

EARTHWARD is a nonprofit, nonpolitical, nonmembership public-benefit charity organization that provides humanitarian relief aid to civilian victims of religiously motivated violence ranging from acts of violence by individual extremists or terrorist organizations that claim religious justification for their actions to full-scale holy wars waged by religiously dominated governments.

Typically, aid is provided in a form dictated by the particular needs of the victims.  Some examples are food, water, temporary shelter and medical supplies.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan