News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

^ I don't know about that. It looks like you went from Earth to Mars between the two photos.

billy rubin

utah to colorado. over the top was 11000 plus feet, which i was trying to route around and failed dismally.

then down in the rain shadow, still colorado, still probably 5000 feet, the grasslands filled up with cholla.

cholla, in colorado. i had no idea. id always thought of cholla as lower to upper sonoran and only in arizona and mexico, but today i learned better

and the geology was amazing. rhyolite, gabbro, quartzite, gneiss, beautiful layered sandstone, then unconsolidated volcanic ash which made the road uneven. if i could have stopped i could h have wandered in there for days. the place is famous for dinosaur fossils too

ive been out of the west too long. its really nice to be able to look out and see a hundred miles of topography. in ohio two or three miles is a lot.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

they dont do it justice. im just waving my hands around while i drive. at the really spectacular places i cant take my hands off the wheel

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Your photos make me cheerful :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

That downhill shot is scary.  Looks like a curve near the bottom.  I do hope the brakes on your rig are in perfect condition. Both shots are striking.  Not anyplace I'd want to be driving a big, heavily loaded, truck and trailer. 

Ecurb Noselrub

I love the West. Here are a few pics from my trip to Utah in 2020.

Tank

It really does the word 'magnificent' justice.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Yesterday on my way into the market I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground.

As I went to walk away with it I thought, "What would Jesus do?"

So I went into the market and turned it into wine...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 13, 2022, 01:52:56 PM
I love the West. Here are a few pics from my trip to Utah in 2020.

is that bryce?

ive always wsnted to go there

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on January 13, 2022, 06:35:08 AM
That downhill shot is scary.  Looks like a curve near the bottom.  I do hope the brakes on your rig are in perfect condition. Both shots are striking.  Not anyplace I'd want to be driving a big, heavily loaded, truck and trailer.

downhill from the pass was 7 miles of 6 and 7 percent grades. two runaway ramps.

im a fraidy cat about brakes so i just set the jake and rumble down at 18 mph.

they say you can go down a hill too slow a thousand times, but uou can go down too fast only once

Ecurb Noselrub

Billy, first shot is Arches, second is Bryce, third is Zion. We visited the "Mighty Five" National Parks in Southern Utah. I highly recommend it.

Anne D.

Those pictures are spectacular, Billy and Ecurb. I've only been to the Southwest once (Phoenix and a few hours outside it), but I really want to go again. The landscapes are gorgeous.

billy rubin

ive been a lot of places.

the two most spectacular places on earth that i know of are ceylon and arizona

i missed out on china. i was due to go work there in 85 but exxon sent me to texss instead

billy rubin

in lighter oklahoma news, the idiot governor stitt put an end t the arrangement between the state and the cherokee nation in which the cherokees bought bazillions of hunting licenses from the state and sold them at a tremendous discount to tribal members to hunt anywhere in oklahoma. he said, it was time to treat all oklahomans the same, and the discounts the tribe gave to members were unfair to the gringo okies who werent tribal citizens. the muskogees had formerly bought 8 million bucks woth of licenses, and the cherokees 32 million. a big chunk of money going to the state treasury.

anyway, the tribe said, piss on you, paleface, and declared that any tribal citizen could hunt for free without a license on any tribal grounds, which is a huge chunk of the state. so governor stitt cost the state $32 million and didnt get shit for it, and th echerokees can now hunt without paying any money at all.

never let it be said that the government of oklahoma has a collective IQ that can even approach the temperature of warm water.

i get my tribal news from the cherokee newspaper, which has a decidedly biased view of the relationship between the cherokee nation and the state government of oklahoma. i root for the redskins.