News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 20, 2017, 04:39:28 PM
Quote from: Buddy on May 20, 2017, 03:49:11 PM

It's so nice to be able to wake up in a space that is my own.
I couldn't agree more. It's one of the best feelings ever to have a key to your own front door. Particularly when there is somebody else in there with you that you want to have there.

I'll second that. My place might only be a glorified bed-sitter but it is my place! With my taste in decor, my pictures, my shelving where I want it, my kitchen designed by me  etc etc etc.

It's all paid for as well.  :dance:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Just finished a good job.

Andy, my neighbour, had trouble getting up ahd down the rather high step into the street door. I sometimes have a problem with it, if my hips are stiff, and have iften thought about a step outside. Andy asked about it and I agreed to go halves on the cost. His "friend" wanted £60 plus materials to do the job.

But Andy is a disabled ex-builder and he reckoned he could do the job with help. So I drove to pick up the materials (£20) and mixed the mortar, Andy laid the bricks and slabs and I cleaned up after. Joint effort.

Job well done, satisfying both of us, saving £60 and making entry and exit safer. Earned my weekly ration of vino tonight I reckon!

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 20, 2017, 05:08:28 PM

Andy, my neighbour, had trouble getting up ahd down the rather high step into the street door. I sometimes have a problem with it, if my hips are stiff, and have iften thought about a step outside. Andy asked about it and I agreed to go halves on the cost. His "friend" wanted £60 plus materials to do the job.

But Andy is a disabled ex-builder and he reckoned he could do the job with help. So I drove to pick up the materials (£20) and mixed the mortar, Andy laid the bricks and slabs and I cleaned up after. Joint effort.

Job well done, satisfying both of us, saving £60 and making entry and exit safer. Earned my weekly ration of vino tonight I reckon!
Teamwork at its best.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Icarus on May 20, 2017, 04:11:30 AM
G85 conrats on the new job.  You will be grading gravel samples?  Does that have anything to do with getting ones rocks off?

That, and bitumen,  and samples of laid down tarmac.
This is not the white-labcoat-and-beakers kind of lab. I have been issued ear protection, steel-toed shoes, and a gas mask for when we break out the methyl chloride.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on May 20, 2017, 05:08:28 PM

So lovely when a plan comes together.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 20, 2017, 11:23:53 PM
Quote from: Icarus on May 20, 2017, 04:11:30 AM
G85 conrats on the new job.  You will be grading gravel samples?  Does that have anything to do with getting ones rocks off?

That, and bitumen,  and samples of laid down tarmac.
This is not the white-labcoat-and-beakers kind of lab. I have been issued ear protection, steel-toed shoes, and a gas mask for when we break out the methyl chloride.
Steam Punk scientist, much more your style.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Velma

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

New camera.
New lens.
Sunshine!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 21, 2017, 09:09:14 PM
New camera.
New lens.
Sunshine!
Yay!

OK, Tank, what's the gear then?

I've just ordered the latest, NFC enabled, version of my mobile so that I can remote control the zoom on my Lumix compact camera at the top of a monopod, about 12 feet up, or over or wherever. Or with the cam on a tripod in a garden and watching the picture from round a corner or indoors so the birdies are not disturbed. Main problem is it takes a second or two for the camera to react to hitting the "shoot" icon.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on May 21, 2017, 09:12:22 PM
New camera.
New lens.
Sunshine!
Yay!

I've just ordered the latest, NFC enabled, version of my mobile so that I can remote control the zoom on my Lumix compact camera at the top of a monopod, about 12 feet up, or over or wherever. Or with the cam on a tripod in a garden and watching the picture from round a corner or indoors so the birdies are not disturbed. Main problem is it takes a second or two for the camera to react to hitting the "shoot" icon.
That looks interesting.

Sony A68 and 55-300mm zoom ( My Sigma one won't autofocus with the body).

xSilverPhinx

:frolic: Weekend is finally over!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 22, 2017, 03:24:42 AM

Er, most people are happy when it starts:query:

Dave

Quote from: Tank on May 21, 2017, 10:06:10 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 21, 2017, 09:12:22 PM
New camera.
New lens.
Sunshine!
Yay!

That looks interesting.

Sony A68 and 55-300mm zoom ( My Sigma one won't autofocus with the body).

My "big job" is a Nikon D5100 (16Mp), bit dated now but adequate for my purposes (wish it had NFC though!,) and my standard lens is an 18-250, a lump but versatile. In some ways the Lumix TZ60 (30x optical, 30-146x digital zoom, 18Mp) is better but has less capability. And it fits in a pocket. And has NFC.

Dave

:blow one's own trumpet icon needed:

Being old, retired and without really close friends (nearby) or family can often make one feel a bit useless. Voluntary work helps but, often, the thanks one gets seem just the "usual" reward for offering one's efforts.

Then someone tells you that your name has been mentioned at the Heritage Group meeting as having made a very positive impression and contribution.

Eyes brighter, tail bushier!  :whistling:

Makes it worth the efort.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on May 22, 2017, 05:03:54 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 22, 2017, 03:24:42 AM

Er, most people are happy when it starts:query:

I know, and I am like most people, but this weekend was a particularly tough one, with practically no time to rest. Tomorrow and Wednesday I get half the day off. I haven't not looked foward to the weekend in such a long time!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey