News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Yes,  dd.mm.yyyy makes more sense than mm.dd.yyyy, unless you are Japanese or a geek.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ali

We put the month before the day because having something like 17/7 looks weird.  Obviously.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on July 17, 2012, 09:38:09 PM
We put the month before the day because having something like 17/7 looks weird.  Obviously.
It's 17.07, you heretic, you!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 10:28:07 PM
It's 17.07, you heretic, you!  >:(

Oh!  Well that's as good a reason to put the month first as any!  We wouldn't say 07/17 usually. A lot of typed forms ask for the MM/DD format that requires a leading 0, but just in casual typing most people would omit the leading 0 to make it 7/17.  That's a good reason to do it; saves a keystroke.

Firebird

We need to start using stardates. That'll solve everything.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Quote from: Firebird on July 17, 2012, 10:56:59 PM
Galactic years, which, as we all know start with The Year Zero of The Asmo.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 11:16:35 PM

I'm so sorry to contradict you, Asmo, but everyone knows stardates have at least 5 digits (and a decimal)...so we can't start with such a recent Year Zero.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Sweetdeath

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 17, 2012, 11:18:56 PM

I'm so sorry to contradict you, Asmo, but everyone knows stardates have at least 5 digits (and a decimal)...so we can't start with such a recent Year Zero.

You need a Captain's log.  8)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 17, 2012, 11:18:56 PM

Wrong. Year Zero of The Asmo is a float.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

I like 17-Apr-12, it removes any doubt and Excel understands it.

Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 07:09:43 PMAnd, apparently, the g-word gets people to like you and, apparently, the l-word makes them donate to your evil cause.

I thought you preferred the f-word, which stands for fear in case any of the smutty minded were thinking otherwise.

hismikeness

I think it's done this way in America because it is analogous to how it's spoken: "July 17th" translates to 7-17, not 17-7.

Of course there is the "what about saying 'the 17th of July' argument..."  ???
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

OldGit

Let's go back to 3rd day before the Ides of Augustus, in the year when Crapulus and Flatulens were consuls.  Totally unambiguous.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 18, 2012, 06:27:59 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 17, 2012, 07:09:43 PMAnd, apparently, the g-word gets people to like you and, apparently, the l-word makes them donate to your evil cause.

I thought you preferred the f-word, which stands for fear in case any of the smutty minded were thinking otherwise.

Well, of course, but the PR team was saying something about sneakiness and masterminding a plan for getting fear out of... That there. Apparently, that way, they will never suspect.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on July 28, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
I moved about 4 months ago and am all alone...so I plan on going to an atheist meetup near my apartment sometime next week. It will be at the aptly named Darwin's Pub.  ;D

Nice!  :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on July 28, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
I moved about 4 months ago and am all alone...so I plan on going to an atheist meetup near my apartment sometime next week. It will be at the aptly named Darwin's Pub.  ;D
Go for it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.