News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Even though I don't like translating, if I'm concentrated and do it quickly enough, I make more in one hour than many people do. ;D

Without having spent years in school for it. ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Translating can be very boring, but a lot depends on what you are translating and for what purpose.  Interpreting is incredibly demanding.  But still, your English is absolutely on the top line, so you'll be doing it well.  Which direction do you mostly work?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on June 26, 2012, 09:55:29 AM
Translating can be very boring, but a lot depends on what you are translating and for what purpose.  Interpreting is incredibly demanding.  But still, your English is absolutely on the top line, so you'll be doing it well.  Which direction do you mostly work?

My father wanted me to become a conference interpreter eventually but...meh ::) Pays really well though.

Mostly whatever comes my way, which would mostly be scientific-technical abstracts at the moment. They aren't really all that boring, and on the plus side they're one page at most. When you're starting to get sick of it, it ends. ;D A book on Masonry, now that's boring!

Thing is sometimes I want to completely rewrite what people have written.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: no_god_know_peace on June 26, 2012, 12:27:13 AM
One of my best friends temporarily moved back to our home town for the summer and now I get to spend more time with her (instead of only seeing her twice a year). That makes me very cheerful :)
That's a very good reason to be cheerful  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Quote from: xSilverPhinxThing is sometimes I want to completely rewrite what people have written.

Once my daughter asked me to translate a letter from Dutch for her boss.  It was bureaucratic and went on for ever about paragraphs of regulations and stuff.  But the only important bit was that if they didn't get the goods to Holland pdq, they'd lose the contract.  So I just translated If they don't get the gear by next Tuesday, you're fucking dead.  That was in fact all they needed to know.

However, the boss got the fax instead of my daughter, and went running around gibbering, "Is that what they said?  We're fucking dead?"   ;D

Ali

Quote from: OldGit on June 26, 2012, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinxThing is sometimes I want to completely rewrite what people have written.

Once my daughter asked me to translate a letter from Dutch for her boss.  It was bureaucratic and went on for ever about paragraphs of regulations and stuff.  But the only important bit was that if they didn't get the goods to Holland pdq, they'd lose the contract.  So I just translated If they don't get the gear by next Tuesday, you're fucking dead.  That was in fact all they needed to know.

However, the boss got the fax instead of my daughter, and went running around gibbering, "Is that what they said?  We're fucking dead?"   ;D

That's hilarious.  ;D

Ali

This is going to sound really mean, but hear me out.  I am feeling very cheerful because Husband left today to go to a training course in FL and won't be back until Friday.  I know that sounds just awful.  Here's the thing; I love Hubby.  He's my best friend and my partner, and everything in between.  BUT the necessary state of living with another adult is living in compromise.  You have to compromise about food most of the time, and watch shows that you both like most of the time, and even the level of cleanliness is a compromise (I would prefer a spotless house, if that were even possible between having a 4 year old and a 31 year old.  :))  I've lived with Hubby for so long that I almost can't remember how freeing it is to live alone and eat whatever you want and watch whatever you want, and keep your house as clean as you can manage.  I've already gotten the bottom half of the house exactly as I like it (or anyway, as close as I can get with our hardwoods half ripped up) and tonight after T goes to bed I'll clean our bedroom and bathroom.  And then I'm going to watch my favorite movie that I never get to watch (Overboard!)  <3.  I don't feel bad about enjoying being the only adult in the house, I know Hubby feels the same way when I'm traveling on business.   :D

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 26, 2012, 11:08:06 PM
This is going to sound really mean, but hear me out.  I am feeling very cheerful because Husband left today to go to a training course in FL and won't be back until Friday.  I know that sounds just awful.  Here's the thing; I love Hubby.  He's my best friend and my partner, and everything in between.  BUT the necessary state of living with another adult is living in compromise.  You have to compromise about food most of the time, and watch shows that you both like most of the time, and even the level of cleanliness is a compromise (I would prefer a spotless house, if that were even possible between having a 4 year old and a 31 year old.  :))  I've lived with Hubby for so long that I almost can't remember how freeing it is to live alone and eat whatever you want and watch whatever you want, and keep your house as clean as you can manage.  I've already gotten the bottom half of the house exactly as I like it (or anyway, as close as I can get with our hardwoods half ripped up) and tonight after T goes to bed I'll clean our bedroom and bathroom.  And then I'm going to watch my favorite movie that I never get to watch (Overboard!)  <3.  I don't feel bad about enjoying being the only adult in the house, I know Hubby feels the same way when I'm traveling on business.   :D
Having time to oneself can be very relaxing and liberating from time to time. My wife isn't a royalist but she likes history and at the moment she's devouring every TV programme about the Queen and all the offshoots about historical monarchs. IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE FUCKING WALL!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The Asmo, being single, finds that a good reason for being cheerful  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Yes.  Mrs Git and I have been very happily married for almost 41 years now, and we're by a long way the most solid couple I know.  But it's like Ali and Tank said - first it was all the Royal Jubilee stuff and now it's the bloody tennis.  Every afternoon, tennis on every TV set in the house.  It drives me bloody barmy.

But I keep my cool, because I know she undergoes similar sufferings for me (perhaps I'm not even aware of all of them), and she's the most unselfish person I know, and I love her as much as I did in 1970.

But OMFSM, that f**** tennis drives me up the wall!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: OldGit on June 27, 2012, 11:10:08 AM
Yes.  Mrs Git and I have been very happily married for almost 41 years now, and we're by a long way the most solid couple I know.  But it's like Ali and Tank said - first it was all the Royal Jubilee stuff and now it's the bloody tennis.  Every afternoon, tennis on every TV set in the house.  It drives me bloody barmy.

But I keep my cool, because I know she undergoes similar sufferings for me (perhaps I'm not even aware of all of them), and she's the most unselfish person I know, and I love her as much as I did in 1970.

But OMFSM, that f**** tennis drives me up the wall!

:D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

This is going to sound really mean, but hear me out.  I am feeling very cheerful because Husband left today to go to a training course in FL and won't be back until Friday.  I know that sounds just awful. 

Doesn't sound awful at all.  It's a mini-vacation from togetherness that makes togetherness endurable!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 27, 2012, 03:24:37 PM
This is going to sound really mean, but hear me out.  I am feeling very cheerful because Husband left today to go to a training course in FL and won't be back until Friday.  I know that sounds just awful. 

Doesn't sound awful at all.  It's a mini-vacation from togetherness that makes togetherness endurable!

Right :) I believe the title of an old country song was something like 'if you don't go away, I'll never be able to miss you'.  :D

It has a good point, though. We need some alone time or at least some personal time to recharge, be ourselves, and relax a little. Nothing awful about that, at all. Kinda like how as much as I love my daughter more than anything, and love spending time with her and being her mom... I get VERY cheerful whenever I have the chance to have an uninterrupted adult conversation.  :D (even if some part of it's inevitably spent talking about her, LOL) -  heck, for that reason alone, HAF makes me cheerful!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sweetdeath

My girlfriend is getting me way too obsessed with the old anime from the 90's; Slam Dunk. I have waited too long to see this series.

I am not in any way a basketball fan, but am in love with sports theme anime series. ;D ;D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

Quote from: AmicaleKinda like how as much as I love my daughter more than anything, and love spending time with her and being her mom... I get VERY cheerful whenever I have the chance to have an uninterrupted adult conversation.

With the accent on uninterrupted !  Don't I know it.  My grandson Cap'n B is staying with us this weekend.  I shall enjoy it so much, and pick up conversations with the wife when he's gone back.