News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: not your typical... on December 09, 2011, 01:27:38 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 01:23:15 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I am a safe driver.
What did I tell you about lying?

Seriously, I'm afraid to go over 40 mph, I don't think that I'm the one you guys should worry about.

that would be my brother
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 01:31:01 AM

Seriously, I'm afraid to go over 40 mph, I don't think that I'm the one you guys should worry about.

that would be my brother
You know, a slow driver can in many situations be even more dangerous than a fast one.

Driving fast does not make you unsafe as long as you do it responsibly and not overstrain your abilities as a driver. Driving slowly, however, can create queues behind you and make certain people impatient enough to attempt a dangerous overtake. Driving way below the speed limit can also lead to people misjudging your speed when they pull out from the intersections and such.

A thing to remember is that being a safe driver does not just mean being safe for yourself and those in your car, but also for others in traffic.

Speed, it can kill both ways if misused.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on December 09, 2011, 02:00:45 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 01:31:01 AM

that would be my brother
You know, a slow driver can in many situations be even more dangerous than a fast one.

Driving fast does not make you unsafe as long as you do it responsibly and not overstrain your abilities as a driver. Driving slowly, however, can create queues behind you and make certain people impatient enough to attempt a dangerous overtake. Driving way below the speed limit can also lead to people misjudging your speed when they pull out from the intersections and such.

A thing to remember is that being a safe driver does not just mean being safe for yourself and those in your car, but also for others in traffic.

Speed, it can kill both ways.

Yea, you're right. I guess that is why I am sticking to back roads and parking lots until I get more comfortable behind the wheel.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 02:07:04 AM
Yea, you're right. I guess that is why I am sticking to back roads and parking lots until I get more comfortable behind the wheel.
Good idea, but above certain skill, the best way to learn traffic is to sort of... Be in it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Pharaoh Cat

Confirmation of what I always thought: Slow drivers hate me. :(

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on December 09, 2011, 02:11:38 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 02:07:04 AM
Good idea, but above certain skill, the best way to learn traffic is to sort of... Be in it.

I will. I just started driving this week, so I'm not that good yet  ;D

cshearer

I'm cheerful because I've made a slew of new friends at work (Starbucks) over the past year I've been there. Several are actually very strong Christians, but at the same time, extraordinarily humble. Of course, we clash in many ways, but I've learned a lot from them. Most importantly, that having my atheism challenged via our light-hearted debates has served to strengthen my arguments, and has forced me to delve deeper in to thought and reading to answer the questions they pose more effectively. The world needs more of these uplifting folks who also believe that religion is dangerous, who don't need a megachurch to make them feel satisfied every Sunday, and who don't go around screaming at the gays. I'd say this is a pretty good reason to be cheerful.  ;D
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something."

Tank

Quote from: cshearer on December 09, 2011, 04:56:38 AM
I'm cheerful because I've made a slew of new friends at work (Starbucks) over the past year I've been there. Several are actually very strong Christians, but at the same time, extraordinarily humble. Of course, we clash in many ways, but I've learned a lot from them. Most importantly, that having my atheism challenged via our light-hearted debates has served to strengthen my arguments, and has forced me to delve deeper in to thought and reading to answer the questions they pose more effectively. The world needs more of these uplifting folks who also believe that religion is dangerous, who don't need a megachurch to make them feel satisfied every Sunday, and who don't go around screaming at the gays. I'd say this is a pretty good reason to be cheerful.  ;D
I can agree with this. I recently went to college in a predominantly asian/Muslim area (I'm 52, it was a return to get updated qualifications). It was great fun. We didn't have many deep theological debates but what we did have were light hearted. There was one Sufi chap who was an absolute scream, if all Muslims had his attitude then the world would be a better place. Unfortunatly they don't.

I have yet to meet a theist, with whom I engaged in theological debate, that did not manage to reinforce my atheistic stance, so I understand that as well.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 09, 2011, 02:12:16 AM

Confirmation of what I always thought: Slow drivers hate me. :(

*Attempting to see the connection... ... ...*

*ERROR: Connection not seen*

:P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Buddy

Tank

Seeing a good bunch of new members settling in  ;D

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2011, 11:43:29 PM

The forum has picked up quite a bit lately.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 09, 2011, 11:47:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 09, 2011, 11:43:29 PM

The forum has picked up quite a bit lately.
Most definitly has  ;D