News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Youngest brother found a subsidized apartment, and moved out. :frolic: I'm now reconfiguring it for use as a conditioned space (AC and heat) for wood carving. 

billy rubin

leaving for maine morning after tomorrow to race. needed a pit bike and the number three son wanted to bring the 1971 honda 100, which hadnt run in about two years. got it running and he was horrified to see how unsafe 50 year old fish-oil shock absorbers really are. i bought the thing when the youngest was 11 to have something to learn on, and they battered it unmercifully. but it was never a really sophisticated ride, even when new.

so i have persuaded him to ride the 1969 BSA thunderbolt instead, which is larger and heavier and harder to start, but much more suitable to the purpose. he has just returned from a test ride, which are trials by fire on our deeply graveled roads, but he didnt dump it and he's ready to go.

excellent.

its always with some trepidation that i send a kid off out of sight on a motorcycle they have never ridden, because there all sorts of possible calamities. but im raising young men and women, not china dolls, and this one is the last one to need the encouragement to live large.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 26, 2023, 11:09:44 PMYoungest brother found a subsidized apartment, and moved out. :frolic: I'm now reconfiguring it for use as a conditioned space (AC and heat) for wood carving. 
Nice!

How does wood carving benefit from temperature(/humidity?) control? Is it so the wood does not crack, or so it's easier to carve? Maybe both?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Asmodean on August 28, 2023, 07:13:00 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 26, 2023, 11:09:44 PMYoungest brother found a subsidized apartment, and moved out. :frolic: I'm now reconfiguring it for use as a conditioned space (AC and heat) for wood carving. 
Nice!

How does wood carving benefit from temperature(/humidity?) control? Is it so the wood does not crack, or so it's easier to carve? Maybe both?

It's not that. It's so I don't suffer from temperature extremes. I'm getting old. I used to be able to work on vehicles when it was 105° F in the shade, and no shade. I don't even go outside when it's that hot, anymore. My carving equipment and wood are currently in the garage.

Asmodean

Oh! I see!  :lol:

It does make perfect sense, actually. :smilenod: Although, The Asmo may or may not have had up to several jokes about wood being comfortable ready. Oh, well.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Asmo, wood does like certain atmospheric conditions. Average lumber yard wood is likely to have a moisture content of 10% to 20% by weight.  DL is probably fussy about the wood that he uses for carving. Controlled atmosphere in his playground is not only comfortable for humans but also for his wood.

Dark Lightning

I've been hacking up wood for many years. For examples, just search my name at Lumberjocks.com, where I have been a member for many years, under the same name.

The Magic Pudding..

Driving to work, 90km/hr zone.
My leg is itchy.
I suspect mosquito activity.
I look down, briefly, I'm in a 90km/hr zone.
Mosquito lands on the steering wheel, just the above cruise control.
I have you now! SQUASH!!!
VICTORY IS MINE!
I leave its carcass there for all my foes to see.
Take heed you insectile bastards, take me on and her fate will be yours, bwa ha ha ha!

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding..

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Geez, maybe I should reconsider my cheer, there's is so much woe going on...
Na, the woe of others only adds piquance to my cheer. 

Back in December I got a thing in the letterbox, fabulous fabulous fibre to your home now available.
Stick with it a year and there's no installation cost.
I decided to embrace the fabulous, The Internet said it'd take about two weeks.
I told my old internet people I wouldn't be requiring their service past December 31.
The date for the fabulous installation was set, Monday the 15ish of January.
Four weeks instead of two, that's OK, I'll cope with mobile data.
It's a work day, I get daughter (with baby) to attend.
"They couldn't do it today" she told me, big job, they'd have to requisition a shovel or something.
They didn't turn up for the next appointment mid February.
Next appointment mid March they installed a modem and an exterior box but holes would have to be dug and subterranean made to go aerial.

Today the subterranean was made to go aerial for a hundred metres and I have my fabulous fabulous fibre connection.  :)

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Anne D.

Tom62

My health insurance finally approved my off-label chemotherapy in combination with immunotherapy. My first treatment will be on Wednesday.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank