News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 06, 2022, 11:26:16 AMi blew up the last truck my company has

been driving a day cab for two weeks, picking up a dry van of suprrmsrket suppliesc and delivering over the day. 16 to 20 hours in the truck, unloading 35,000 pounds of stuff by myself. hard work. too hard for me to keep up at 66.

an interim job until they fix the axle, and the drive shaft, and the transmission of the ones that buckled under me before.

last night i picked up another trailer and stripped the teeth off the worn-out pinion gear in the differential. cant go anywhere when the differential wont turn.

so im off again, and shall finish up the BSA and take it easy for a while.

Are the trucks you drive representative of the truck fleet in the US?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

Quote from: Tank on September 06, 2022, 12:15:51 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on September 06, 2022, 11:26:16 AMi blew up the last truck my company has

been driving a day cab for two weeks, picking up a dry van of suprrmsrket suppliesc and delivering over the day. 16 to 20 hours in the truck, unloading 35,000 pounds of stuff by myself. hard work. too hard for me to keep up at 66.

an interim job until they fix the axle, and the drive shaft, and the transmission of the ones that buckled under me before.

last night i picked up another trailer and stripped the teeth off the worn-out pinion gear in the differential. cant go anywhere when the differential wont turn.

Good news, Tank. With Liz Truss's professed commitment to deregulation, the U.K.'s truck fleet may soon be as fit and fighting as the U.S.'s is.   ;) 

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Anne D. on September 08, 2022, 02:45:13 AM

Good news, Tank. With Liz Truss's professed commitment to deregulation, the U.K.'s truck fleet may soon be as fit and fighting as the U.S.'s is.   ;) 

I'd enjoy a massive swing of the pendulum back towards giving at least a pinch of feces for (at least) people in general.

It's out there. I've been having problems with the air conditioning in my house. A member of another forum of which I am a member offered to come over and fix it, which he did. And then absolutely refused payment. I'll make two observations about that, one uncharitable, one not. Sometimes, people just want to pay forward on their good fortune. Sometimes people want to assuage their guilt for offenses in the past. I don't know which category this guy is in, but I think that it is in the "paying it forward" category, based on his behavior in that other forum.

billy rubin

no, i work for a couple of rookies guys who bought a truck with 600,000 miles on it-- 25 years old. ive put about 150,000 on in the last year or so. i work for them because theyre easy. if i want time off, i can take it. if i dont want to work new york city, they dont ask me too. they only have two trucks.

i used to work for a larger carrier with 1100 dry van drivers, 400 flatbedders like me, and 150 heavy haulers. the trucks were exquisitely maintained, recycled after about 5 years. trailers were sold off at seven years. very little btoke. most problems wrre software only.

but the price paid there was forced dispatch . i had to drive where they told me, and that meant lousy trips into lousy places. plus i was out 25 days to get four or five at home. and i made less money.

most trucks on the roads in america are much newer and in better shape than what i drive. but they dont have the excitement i get.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

its night.

the coyotes are singing

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

I'm a member of an old truck forum. Members have many skills, needless to say. I've been having problems with my air conditioning, and one of the members came over and made the repairs for free. I actually didn't need that charity, but I appreciate it, nonetheless.

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on September 08, 2022, 02:45:13 AM...
Good news, Tank. With Liz Truss's professed commitment to deregulation, the U.K.'s truck fleet may soon be as fit and fighting as the U.S.'s is.  ;) 

You're not wrong! :D

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 08, 2022, 03:59:30 AM

no, i work for a couple of rookies guys who bought a truck with 600,000 miles on it-- 25 years old. ive put about 150,000 on in the last year or so. i work for them because theyre easy. if i want time off, i can take it. if i dont want to work new york city, they dont ask me too. they only have two trucks.

i used to work for a larger carrier with 1100 dry van drivers, 400 flatbedders like me, and 150 heavy haulers. the trucks were exquisitely maintained, recycled after about 5 years. trailers were sold off at seven years. very little btoke. most problems wrre software only.

but the price paid there was forced dispatch . i had to drive where they told me, and that meant lousy trips into lousy places. plus i was out 25 days to get four or five at home. and i made less money.

most trucks on the roads in america are much newer and in better shape than what i drive. but they dont have the excitement i get.

Asmodean

The Asmo drives a car that really ought to be retired, but He pours time and money into maintenance with shiny new parts and an occasional cup of bondo - and it continues to serve most heroically.

That said, I have seen "professional" vehicles on our roads - trucks, busses, what have you - that are like... How, even? How does that keep moving?! Uphill?!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

600,000 miles is really just a baby. Well, not a baby. Striding into middle age.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

lol

id be happier if they didnt shed wheels so often

but it lookslike my bosses have decided to pack it in, as they arent making the money they want. so my boss's daughter, for whom i am an honorary grandfather, having worked with her for years at something like six different companies, has told me to apply where she currently works.

so i have an interview on monday and if it goes well i will be driving roll-off containers again. daylight work, and something ive done before. i could make more money going back to driving water bottles, but i really really really want to minimize the oil field work. ive been working in the oil fields off and on now for 50 years this year, and i really want to get away from those holes in the ground.

Asmodean

Speaking of shedding and round stuff, I once saw one of them military many-wheeled whatnots in the middle of rural Sweden. It overtook me when I stopped in a ditch for a pee, and then a few kilometers later, I overtook it with one of its many wheels dethatched and a dude with the look of pure dejection on his face looking at it, then the axle, then the wheel, then the axle again. That wheel must have weighed a literal ton... In a place literal hours away from heavy towing. I think he could have driven it with the remaining wheels, but... Protocol, probably.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the swedes have the suggas, too

i first saw one of theses somewhere around uppsala long ago, and fell in love with them. after i get a 1941 dodge weapons carrier, ill start looking for a sugga.

jumbojak

Quote from: Asmodean on September 10, 2022, 04:34:35 PMSpeaking of shedding and round stuff, I once saw one of them military many-wheeled whatnots in the middle of rural Sweden. It overtook me when I stopped in a ditch for a pee, and then a few kilometers later, I overtook it with one of its many wheels dethatched and a dude with the look of pure dejection on his face looking at it, then the axle, then the wheel, then the axle again. That wheel must have weighed a literal ton... In a place literal hours away from heavy towing. I think he could have driven it with the remaining wheels, but... Protocol, probably.

As someone who occasionally drives a dump truck with an axle so bent you don't have both dual wheels on either side touching pavement without a substantial load... That missing wheel is important. The bigger the truck the more it counts on points of contact.

I can live with ours not having a straight axle. It bothers me that there's only a working brake on one wheel. Don't know who is going to crash it through the gate when the last brake fails but I hope it isn't me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Go to another town, make a burner email account and report that to OSHA. The life you save may be that of some innocent bystander.