News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Fence is finished. Dog is happy. Hedgehog entry and exit points installed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2022, 10:09:42 AMFence is finished. Dog is happy. Hedgehog entry and exit points installed.

Are you going to roll them in clay and toss them in your fireplace?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2022, 02:27:20 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2022, 10:09:42 AMFence is finished. Dog is happy. Hedgehog entry and exit points installed.

Kinda' defeats the purpose of them exit points, wouldn't you say? Although... If you give them hedgehogs hope, they might taste better...  :notsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2022, 02:27:20 AM

If prices keep going the way they are, quite possibly!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

The Asmo has taken to eating out most days - cheaper that way. Come to think of it, He kinda' "always" did anyways, but yeah. Actually cheaper to buy a dont-ask-dont-tell kebab than cook dinner, if you add up the food and the electricity, which is just about to start competing with diesel for which is actually cheaper.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

^ My wife spreads that falsehood too.  She claims that it costs less to dine out than it costs to prepare meals at home. Horseshit!  I make a loaf of delicious bread for a total cost of $1.83. That includes the cost of power for the oven.   My local grocery store charges $3.79 for a loaf of bread that is not nearly as tasty.

She conned me into going to a barbecue restaurant last week. It was an ordinary chain restaurant, nothing special.  She ordered an extra side of cole slaw. It was billed at $3.99 plus seven percent sales tax for a total of $4.27.  Cole slaw is made of cabbage and seasoned with mayonnaise and vinegar. It would have cost about 20 cents at home.

Any food that is sold at restaurants is taxed at seven percent.  Then there is the almost mandatory gratuity, the tip of 15 to 20 percent.  So if I have an entre priced at ten dollars I will have to pay 10.00 + 0.70 + 2.00 = $12.70 The same stuff at home would have cost less than half that price.

Dark Lightning

^ Small price to pay to keep the wife below the boiling point. :smilenod:

My wife gets all kinds of cranky if I don't take her out often enough.

Icarus

^ Understood.  Wives need some love.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on August 29, 2022, 07:23:17 PM^ My wife spreads that falsehood too.  She claims that it costs less to dine out than it costs to prepare meals at home. Horseshit!  I make a loaf of delicious bread for a total cost of $1.83. That includes the cost of power for the oven.   My local grocery store charges $3.79 for a loaf of bread that is not nearly as tasty.

She conned me into going to a barbecue restaurant last week. It was an ordinary chain restaurant, nothing special.  She ordered an extra side of cole slaw. It was billed at $3.99 plus seven percent sales tax for a total of $4.27.  Cole slaw is made of cabbage and seasoned with mayonnaise and vinegar. It would have cost about 20 cents at home.

Any food that is sold at restaurants is taxed at seven percent.  Then there is the almost mandatory gratuity, the tip of 15 to 20 percent.  So if I have an entre priced at ten dollars I will have to pay 10.00 + 0.70 + 2.00 = $12.70 The same stuff at home would have cost less than half that price.

Ok, let us see;

One kebab costs me USD 8,13 (Using rates from timestamp)

Let us assume I want something similar for dinner.
Ground pork, 400g, with some discount: 5,13. Let's say I use half and call it 2,50.
Pita bread: as close as makes no difference 3 bucks for 6, so 0.50.
Maize: 1 dollar a can - I only need about a third, but it does not keep, so 1,0.
Greens (Romano mix) 3 bucks. Keeps even worse than maize, so 3,00

I'm still short a onion, a tomato and a handful of jalapeno-rings, which bring me very near 10 bucks. (Still a bit under, considering that I do have some greens, fermenting as I look at them and some maize that will turn green by the time I make something else that calls for it - however, I have not even looked at the hot plate time, which is another 1-2 bucks)

So yeah. Cheaper to get pre-made, and for exactly the same reason. You see, my kebab joint buys the stuff by a shitload - and it is priced as such. I, on the other hand, buy stuff for one - and it is priced accordingly as well. The smaller the package, the higher the price per kilo.

Now, if I were a family of four, it would be cheaper to cook. One could then make an argument of my time being worse something, but then if I had a family of six...

My point is, if you cook for one, you probably do it more expensively than the local food joint that churns out literal tons of the same stuff every day - unless you buy cheaper ingredients, in which case you are probably more expensive than a shittier food joint on a worse street corner. If you cook for two, you likely break even or maybe even save a tiny bit. Three... Starting to look good, assuming your time is donated freely. Above that, I'd say it's cheaper to do than buy, since you'd be able to, say, but a head of cabbage and use it, rather than throw most of it away.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i cant buy what i like to eat so for me going out to eat is a poor substitute for cooking real food for myself.

periodically i can return to the vegetatianism i prefer because im not living in a truck. when i do, i avoid restaurants because they dont sell amythi g but appalachian grease and bad meat.

i am perhaps a hundred miles from the nearest plant based restaurant of sny kind

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Boris Johnson is gone!  :frolic:  :frolic:  :frolic:

Asmodean

What, he died?!

...Oh! Right. Didn't he announce his resignation like a month or two ago? Or was he just filling in until the new PM was found?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on September 06, 2022, 09:41:50 AMWhat, he died?!

...Oh! Right. Didn't he announce his resignation like a month or two ago? Or was he just filling in until the new PM was found?

He resigned and stayed on as caretaker until the Conservatives decided on a new party leader who then automatically becomes the Prime Minister of the UK.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

i blew up the last truck my company has

been driving a day cab for two weeks, picking up a dry van of suprrmsrket suppliesc and delivering over the day. 16 to 20 hours in the truck, unloading 35,000 pounds of stuff by myself. hard work. too hard for me to keep up at 66.

an interim job until they fix the axle, and the drive shaft, and the transmission of the ones that buckled under me before.

last night i picked up another trailer and stripped the teeth off the worn-out pinion gear in the differential. cant go anywhere when the differential wont turn.

so im off again, and shall finish up the BSA and take it easy for a while.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."