News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Lucky not to lose that wheel at speed! Get well soon from the cabrona.

billy rubin

thank you

so far ive lost wheels four times on two trailers, but this was a first on the tractor.

losing a steer is no joke.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on July 31, 2022, 01:32:48 AMthank you

so far ive lost wheels four times on two trailers, but this was a first on the tractor.

losing a steer is no joke.

Indeed. I maintained a fleet of trucks for an ornamental iron fence company for many years, working at a gas station. Admittedly, they weren't long haul vehicles, but when they came in for oil changes, they got checked over. I was the one who did the brakes, clutches, etc. They never lost a bearing on any vehicle I worked on.

billy rubin

yes. i am mulling that over. i never lost wheels either until working with this old stuff.

i have no way to check wheel bearings except to verify the oil level in the hub through the sight window.

i do that casually already but from now ill be looking at oil level pretty much daily.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 30, 2022, 11:41:39 PMLucky not to lose that wheel at speed! Get well soon from the cabrona.
Ha! Good one. "Corona Cabrona."
;D

What symptoms do you have, billy rubin?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

not much. woke up with a slight sore throat and a dry cough. just thst and a bit tired. like a very mild cold.

ive had two shots and one booster, so thst probably helped.

i knew what it was because my wife tested positivevand spentva week on the couch. i assume i got it from her

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on July 31, 2022, 10:52:57 AMnot much. woke up with a slight sore throat and a dry cough. just thst and a bit tired. like a very mild cold.

ive had two shots and one booster, so thst probably helped.

i knew what it was because my wife tested positivevand spentva week on the couch. i assume i got it from her

Aww, sad to hear about your wife. That's how bad it was for me too.
Good to hear you're not too sick.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

I am happy to hear that both of you got through it OK.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

as long as it confers some b immunity that would be worth it. apparently the new versions dont confer immunity

Asmodean

My stocks be rising.

...I mean, they are still deeply in the red for the most part, but at this rate, that new-ish car is not looking too bad, come new year.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

I'm being told that the market will possibly bottom in a couple of months. I'm down about 15% since the beginning of the year. I'm philosophical about it, though; in the 7 years since I invested my retirement money, it was up by 70%. My wife recently retired, the houses are paid off, and we're living on my Social Security checks and a piddling stipend from my last employer. Once we burn through the money my wife earned in the first 4 months of this year, we'll have to start drawing on my retirement money.

Asmodean

I'm pretty zen about the whole thing myself, though I do huwhine about it.

My coin is largely in "safe" businesses that are unlikely to fold, and I have bought in on some potential opportunities, picking up stock "for nothing." One particular business, I picked up a few thousand shares for 0.5NOK per share, then sold half my shares at just above 1NOK a few weeks later. It dipped a bit afterwards, but the trend on that one is upwards and I am secured from loss by the sale.

The giants in my portfolio that took a major hit over the past year... Yeah. I haven't gone in on them when they were particularly expensive, and based on the value they have and generate, they will recover.

My overall strategy is;

Do not invest in vaporware. (yes, yes, I know, one could have become a Bitcoin or Tesla millionaire, but one could as easily have gone broke. Easier, perhaps) 
Know what you buy (What's "behind" the stock price?)
Don't panic. (Don't sell at a loss - if you followed the previous step, it will recover unless the global economy tanks dramatically and permanently)
Sleep easy.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

For me Covid was a non-event and got my a private room in hospital for 10 days :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

I'm cheerful that it's State Fair time here in Minnesota. I get to see all the farm animals and pet the goats and sheep. And see all the arts and crafts. And eat amazing fried foods and walk around in awesome weather drinking beer. And ride the tilt-a-whirl and the big swing ride. I love the State Fair.