News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Amsterdam May 2024

Started by Tank, May 31, 2024, 12:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Visited my favourite city (so far) Amsterdam May 24.

Best bar. Just across the canal from the Anne Frank museum.

General canal view. Darwin would be proud. No rails along the sides of the canals just a rope at water level to hold on if you fall in.

The smallest car I've seen. It fits in the bike lanes. And fits end on in the parking places. It has two seats but I suspect this is a legal affectation as it would be virtually impossible to fit two people in it at once. And while it fits the bike lanes I suspect it is not supposed to use them as I only saw them in them while the main road was stationary.

Only saw one person swimming in the canals and this was about 7am so little or no boat traffic. The canals are freshwater and while turbid from the constant boat traffic is apparently quite clean.

There are apparently 2,800 boat house mourings. These are the only places you are allowed to permanently moor a 'boat' and the must be plumbed into the local sewerage system. Some have lawns of camomile on their roofs.

Loads of bikes. This is a child/family carrier. Usually with one or two kids in the 'trough'. Saw one with 3 in the trough, 2 facing forward and one facing backwards plus one on the guy's back in a kiddy carrier!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

I'm not surprised it's a wonderful place.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Did I mention bikes?

Some more of the house boats including one with a lawn roof.

A ship.

An unimpressed ship's cat :)

The maritime museum. Not far from our apartment.

What a lovely way to go to work.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on May 31, 2024, 12:14:54 PM
What manner of heresy is this and where is The Asmo's Heavy Flamer?!  >:(

(That was a Warhammer 40K reference)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It was really just a micro car. I also saw weirdest vehicle. A box on 4 wheels with the driver inside it peddling it! It was an Amazon delivery vehicle.

Asmodean

This reminds me, there is a guy in our office building who has a tricycle designed to look like one of them old Morgan cars. It's actually very cool. Might try to take a pic when I see it. He parks it in the car park alongside the big boys with their manly combustion engines :snicker:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

That would be interesting.

Asmodean

Tried to snipe a pic yesterday, but of course the second I thought of it, it got all miserably cold and rainy-like. Perhaps more tricycly weather tomorrow. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Cant wait to see the Morgan Tricycle thinghy. 

Tank