What is your sceen size and internet connection?

Started by Tank, June 25, 2010, 09:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I remember having an internet connection that was supposedly something like 10 Mbps, it wasn't and never ever got close to that, it stayed around 3.5 Mbps - THEN I see the fine print, "residential speeds may vary".

If anyone wants to see what their actual down and upload speeds are, you can check it:

http://www.speedtest.net/

I'm at my family's place and their internet speed is a tragedy of Greek proportions:

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"Currently...2" X 2.5" GPRS connection

I have the image size where it is to control database size as well as loading time.

Just a couple of thoughts for your consideration.

I understand the need to keep the size of uploaded files limited as they end up on the HAF server taking up database space and bandwidth when viewed. However a linked image takes up no more space on the HAF server than the link itself, which is just a short line of text. And it's linked images I'm talking about here. Linked images are held on, and served by, the image host (Photobucket or Imageshack etc) and served by their computers and thus have no impact on the HAF server database size or bandwidth use.

Regarding loading time. It would appear that the majority of user have good bandwidth and big screens. If a user has low bandwidth and/or a small screen they will be aware of this fact and presumably avoid image intense threads.

Just my $0.02  :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Squid"If anyone wants to see what their actual down and upload speeds are, you can check it:

http://www.speedtest.net/
Remind me to do that next week. I'm kind of curious. I have a feeling my bandwidth exceeds my hdd's write speed.  :evil: I use Fotki for mine as I also store JPEG backups of the ten-or-so thousand 10MP pictures I have kept as raw files on my external. (IOW, Fotki has unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth, if you pay a small fee for it). Conveniently, the dimensions of the "shared" versions of images on Fotki never pass 600px on the long edge, which is the dimension limit here. The GIF files I tend to use are also hosted there, which, if hosted here, would kill the bandwidth.

-Curio

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

This is a typical connection on our Time Warner "High Speed" cable.

:bananacolor:

Will

12 Mbps fiberoptic internet and either the 1680 x 1050 resolution on my desktop lcd or the 1080p resolution of my tv.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tom62

9.6 Mbps Internet and  2560 by 1440 resolution (iMac 27")
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tom62"9.6 Mbps Internet and  2560 by 1440 resolution (iMac 27")
:drool

terranus

Screen size? 3.7 inch AMOLED touchscreen
Resolution? 392 x 653 pixels
Internet Connection? Stupid Edge network, since T-Mobile won't upgrade my area to 3g

Hooray for Android phones!
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Tank

Quote from: "terranus"Screen size? 3.7 inch AMOLED touchscreen
Resolution? 392 x 653 pixels
Internet Connection? Stupid Edge network, since T-Mobile won't upgrade my area to 3g

Hooray for Android phones!
Interesting feedback. Thank you.

cherylfoster

This is very simple question to answer.I am currently using One Desktop and One Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop.The desktop has 24 inch screen with resolution of 1536*1278.In the desktop I am using ineternet speed of 8mbps which is awesome speed to surf internet.The laptop has 15.6 inch screen and In laptop I am using 276 kbps usb modem.Thanks

Tank

Quote from: "cherylfoster"This is very simple question to answer.I am currently using One Desktop and One Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop.The desktop has 24 inch screen with resolution of 1536*1278.In the desktop I am using ineternet speed of 8mbps which is awesome speed to surf internet.The laptop has 15.6 inch screen and In laptop I am using 276 kbps usb modem.Thanks
Thanks for the feedback!