News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Scooby Doo was my favorite cartoon as a child and Velma was my favorite character.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ihateyoumike

Quite a few years ago I was setting up an online poker account so that my brother (hismikeness) and I could play against each other online. He had his set up already and was pressuring me to hurry up and set mine up. I, jokingly of course, have said I hate you mike many times in my life- usually when we're playing a game and he's beating me, so I decided it would make a good user name. I've used it online ever since. It was always fun to have for poker because it's amazing how many people have mike in their users name.

So yeah. There's the story of Ihateyoumike.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

hismikeness

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 01, 2011, 08:34:17 PM
Quite a few years ago I was setting up an online poker account so that my brother (hismikeness) and I could play against each other online. He had his set up already and was pressuring me to hurry up and set mine up. I, jokingly of course, have said I hate you mike many times in my life- usually when we're playing a game and he's beating me, so I decided it would make a good user name. I've used it online ever since. It was always fun to have for poker because it's amazing how many people have mike in their users name.

So yeah. There's the story of Ihateyoumike.

Yeah well, I hate you Ihateyoumike.  ;)
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

PapistItalian16

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM
This should be an interesting topic, I hope.

So, what does your username mean?

Well a "Papist" was at one time a dergatory name for a person who follows the Pope. And so like all derogatory names these days, if someone calls them self a said name, it almost becomes a bastion of pride for them. And I wanted a "proud" name that stands out, so, with the help of some friends, BAM; PapistItalian  ;D

And I'm a 4th genaration Italian-American. Full blooded.

And 16 is my favorite number.
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

TeresaBenedicta

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (also known by her birth name Edith Stein) is a personal role model of mine.  She was a great philosopher- student of Husserl at one point in time.  Born Jewish, declared atheist by the time she was a teen, and an adult convert to Catholicism.  She ended up joining a community of Carmelite nuns and was murdered in the Holocaust.
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Cecilie

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 03, 2011, 08:30:31 PM
And 16 is my favorite number.

I never got why people have a favorite number... What makes that particular number better than other numbers? Is it your birthday or something?
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: Cecilie on May 05, 2011, 06:34:57 AMWhat makes that particular number better than other numbers? Is it your birthday or something?
My birthday is my least favourite number. Gerascophobia, you know...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Cecilie on May 05, 2011, 06:34:57 AM
I never got why people have a favorite number... What makes that particular number better than other numbers? Is it your birthday or something?

My guess is that numbers are usually connected with some fond memory or another.

For example... my favorite number is 23.  Both my mom and my grandmother were born on the 23rd.  My father wore the number 23 for every sports jersey.  And so did I.

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Cooper20

I met a guy at a Hockey Goalie school named Cooper, he was extremely funny, and I thought Cooper was a cool name to have, so I stole it and made it my alias.

20 is the number I wear in hockey.
"There are many types of religion, one of them in Christianity, which celebrates the irony of nailing a carpenter to two pieces of wood."

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Cooper20 on May 06, 2011, 02:34:47 AM
I met a guy at a Hockey Goalie school named Cooper, he was extremely funny, and I thought Cooper was a cool name to have, so I stole it and made it my alias.

20 is the number I wear in hockey.

Hockey is fun to watch live... but a bore on TV.  At least that's what I've found.  Granted, I just like the fights. ;)

Cecilie

Interesting that hockey should come up. I just recently starting watching it. Mainly because Norway beat Sweden for the first time ever (in ice hockey).
The world's what you create.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Cecilie on May 06, 2011, 05:22:33 AM
Interesting that hockey should come up. I just recently starting watching it. Mainly because Norway beat Sweden for the first time ever (in ice hockey).

Hockey's been coming up a lot for me lately, too.  Apparently my 'home team' just won some big series.  Who knows?  I do like the fights, though!

Will37

My name is Will.  Back in high school at a JROTC meet I only managed to do 37 pushups in a minute.  Because of this I was nicknamed '37' for the rest of my high school career.  Ever since I have used 37 whenever I need a meaningless number sequence. 

HENCE!!!

Will37
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

Illbethewriter

Being young, I've always had the internet.. so I started out with 'childish' usernames, such as xsurferbabex (because I surf) and Babydoll (because that was my nickname in school/family/everywhere).. and I thought being 20 I need something a little more mature, especially seeing as I write my own blog and stuff..
And listening to a song by Ellie Goulding called 'Be the writer' I just thought of... 'Illbethewriter'.. because I like to write and I'm an aspiring journalist.
"On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives [...] on a mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Illbethewriter on May 06, 2011, 12:22:53 PM
Being young, I've always had the internet.. so I started out with 'childish' usernames, such as xsurferbabex (because I surf) and Babydoll (because that was my nickname in school/family/everywhere).. and I thought being 20 I need something a little more mature, especially seeing as I write my own blog and stuff..
And listening to a song by Ellie Goulding called 'Be the writer' I just thought of... 'Illbethewriter'.. because I like to write and I'm an aspiring journalist.

Ah so it's not ill be the writer,
  Affected by impairment
  Resulting in suffering or adversity
  Distressing
  Indicating hostility or enmity
  Presaging ill fortune

But then, maybe sometimes?