News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilie

That's an easy one... It's my name. I guess you'd have to ask my parents. Cecilie comes from the latin name Ceacus and means 'blind' ( :| ) which is ironic because my eyesight is quite bad. It's pretty much only used in Norway and Denmark.
The world's what you create.

MariaEvri

Usually I go online as "Poseidon Simons", which is my main comic character
but here I wanted to be as my real self
maria is my name
evri is the beginning of my username: Evripidou
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

hismikeness

I thought about changing my handle to "God of Wasting Time" but figured I would forget and keep typing in my old name.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Thumpalumpacus

Mine's an old Air Force nickname.

I'm pretty skinny, and as a firefighter, that came in handy as I could get into and out of tight places, so the guys took to calling me "Thumper" -- rabbits can get down small holes.

Then the brothers in the station got hold of the name and threw on the vaguely saurian suffix, which tickles my brain.

As with Hismikeness, I've never seen this used by anyone else in 15 years of webbing.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Icarus

When I registerd for this forum, the screen name I had used elsewhere was taken.  It ocurred that I may be getting in over my head on a forum like this...Maybe I'm flying too close to the sun. (Disclaimer; I have never flown too near the Son)

Tom62

My name is very simple. It is my first name followed by my birth year.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Gawen

Ohhhh....about 10+ years ago or so I was into the RPG sites that were popular then. One was a setting in medieval England. 'Gawen' is a Welsh variation of Gawain. I've kept it ever since.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

curiosityandthecat

Steven Wright does a bit that goes, "Curiosity killed the cat but for a while I was a suspect." That sparked the idea. I thought about it more and I liked the duality of it, that one person can be both the curiosity and the cat. There's probably some deeper, subconscious meaning to it, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

I either go as CuriosityAndTheCat or just CurioAndTheCat if the former is too long for the field. Ironically, I hate cats. (I'm a dog person. Don't hate me.)
-Curio

McQ

Mine is totally uninspired. I'm of Scottish descent on my dad's side. Last name begins with the letters "McQ". Been my nickname since before there was an Internet. Or personal computers. Or Cds. Or pocket calculators.

Tada!

You didn't ask, but the avatar is the HAL 9000 computer "eye" from 2001: A Space Odyssey. So is the description that goes with it. I, myself, am not 'foolproof and incapable of error', as some have inferred.
 :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

McQ

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"You're not a John Wayne fan then?

I had the nickname before the movie came out, but I do like a few John Wayne movies. Unfortunately, McQ isn't one of them.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Cite134

I actually don't have an intended meaning for my username. I actually randomly thought of it, and attached a few numbers to it. Nothing to see here xD
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Contessa

Well, I play the Sims 2 and the first forums I'd ever joined were the Sims 2 forums. The vampire characters in the game always have 'Contessa' before their name.
Usually you can find me as ContessaClaire. I used to play a video game by Saddle Up and one of the pretty pony's name was Eclaire, but that's a guy name. So I fixed it. :)

Asmodean

Asmodean is an antagonist in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (Brandon Sanderson)

The name is derived from the demon Asmodai (various ways of transliterating), one of the "Princes of Hell". I chose it because I like Jordan's character of Asmodean. He's pretty much a failure as antagonist, but he does play the harp and seems to only play sad, epic and epically sad pieces... Kind of like me. I'm not quite sure about the whole of it, but I can relate to that particular character really strongly.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

wildfire_emissary

My handle is from a Magic the Gathering card in the Mirage expansion. It is an efreet with a 'protection from white' ability, a metaphor I use for protection from self-righteous religions. It is a red card, a metaphor for hell, where I will end up as per these punks. Haven't played the game again though since I finished college.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire