News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Forum preconceptions.

Started by Tank, June 07, 2010, 08:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"I was thinking this forum  :rant:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kelltrill

If they don't have an avatar my radar will immediately go up. That's probably just because I've been a forum user for five years now and I never post anywhere avatarless. It's an important indicator to me of how important you consider your own role on the forum and if you simply don't have one it's as though you're just there to troll. This does, obviously, still depend on what they post.
The poster's name will also be important. If it's something too intense, like UberAmazingKingOfAtheists, I might think something is up. Also, and this is all of course purely contextual to forums like HAF, if it's something like Iamthelight or LoveOfTheLamb or SionaraAtheists or FundamentalistChristianEvangelistBigotPro-GunCreationistGodJesusHallelujah, I'll also think poe, generic troll, or pain in the ass annoyance not interested in having a constructive, intelligent debate.
I don't generally or easily assume a gender, but most atheists I've met online I seem to construe as white. I realised this recently when I was befriended by a black atheist on Twitter and I was completely taken aback. It might just be because I'm a South African, but I was becoming convinced that all atheists were white >.<
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

KDbeads

Quote from: "Tank"

It's what I get for the 'old lady' hobbies I have, quilting, sewing, and embroidery.  Most women that can swing a needle are extremely religious, SAHM's, who think you should let the man run things.  It's disgusting actually, especially when they are MY age  :upset:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"

It's what I get for the 'old lady' hobbies I have, quilting, sewing, and embroidery.  Most women that can swing a needle are extremely religious, SAHM's, who think you should let the man run things.  It's disgusting actually, especially when they are MY age  :upset:
Mutual  :upset:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jrosebud

*makes note to self: "must put up an avatar"*
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

pinkocommie

Quote from: "KDbeads"It's what I get for the 'old lady' hobbies I have, quilting, sewing, and embroidery.  Most women that can swing a needle are extremely religious, SAHM's, who think you should let the man run things.  It's disgusting actually, especially when they are MY age  :upset:

I run into the same issue because of my love of crafting.  I don't participate in crafting forums, but I do follow a large number of craft blogs and the majority of the most talented bloggers I've found have been women with glaringly apparent religious leanings and the belief that a woman's place is at home.  I like looking past those obvious disagreements and finding a common bond with people through making stuff though.  I wish those women generally thought more of their (my) gender, but I also try to be as live and let live as I can.  I have had people actually ask me to stop following their blog once they discovered I was an atheist, which hurt my feelings a bit, but oh well right?
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

KDbeads

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I run into the same issue because of my love of crafting.  I don't participate in crafting forums, but I do follow a large number of craft blogs and the majority of the most talented bloggers I've found have been women with glaringly apparent religious leanings and the belief that a woman's place is at home.  I like looking past those obvious disagreements and finding a common bond with people through making stuff though.  I wish those women generally thought more of their (my) gender, but I also try to be as live and let live as I can.  I have had people actually ask me to stop following their blog once they discovered I was an atheist, which hurt my feelings a bit, but oh well right?

I've had to leave several forums because I just can't watch them harp on their values so much.  I'm even having trouble on a chicken board of all places due to an "anyone here non-religious?" thread I've posted on.  It's crazy how little the women think of themselves, even out here when I do things men normally do, I get strange looks.  Like when I built the displays for my quilt club's show.... that was man work and they were stuck between awe and resentment that I could do it.  Not that it was anything hard anyway (see here, http://strayneedle.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... -show.html )

I just stand back and watch and shake my head, as far as some of us have come, I fear there are just as many that have gone the other way.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "KDbeads"that was man work and they were stuck between awe and resentment that I could do it.  Not that it was anything hard anyway (see here, http://strayneedle.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... -show.html ).

Yeah, I used to work in a machine shop for the aerospace industry and I got a lot of that same reaction - awe and resentment.  It doesn't even make any sense to be that way, I always just felt like I was being cast out because I ruined some self imposed assumption of what being a woman was supposed to mean or look like.  

I added your blog to my lists of blogs to follow, btw, I hope that's ok!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Asmodean

My generic view is white male, probably because I am one.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

KDbeads

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I added your blog to my lists of blogs to follow, btw, I hope that's ok!

Cool, I probably need to start updating it more often though ;)

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"My generic view is white male, probably because I am one.
Well that's what I suspected. So do people have a default view that people are like themselves until shown to be otherwise?

Gawen

Quote from: "Tank"When a new member turns up and has no avatar and a gender neutral title what are your default preconceptions of the person?
I don't have preconceptions anymore. I've been on DB's and other boards for 13 years...I quit guessing. Seems that 1/2 the time I'm wrong anyway.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Businessocks

Very interesting thread.

I've participated in other forums, mostly natural parenting ones, so a nice mix of women in all ways (age, ethnicity, education, etc.)

As someone new here, I was expecting young (25 and under) folks.  I didn't have any gender or education expectations I guess.  The age bias come from IRL: the only people I know who are atheists, agnostics, or pantheists tend to be the younger crowd.  

Note about avatars:  I'm not too old to know how to do it, but I generally assume that it costs money.  I'm cheap.  My other reason for lack of one is that I will waste so much time trying to find a suitable one, so I just save that time.  I'm just not cool and funky enough to have a host of cool avatars at my fingertips.   :crazy:
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Asmodean

Quote from: "Asmodean"My generic view is white male, probably because I am one.
Well that's what I suspected. So do people have a default view that people are like themselves until shown to be otherwise?
I tend to do that except when the screen name suggests different.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.