News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Your 10 most favorite quotes

Started by KDbeads, June 05, 2010, 04:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

Mine, I have so many......
1 See signature.....
2 Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.    Mark Twain
3 However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are the richest.    Henry David Thoreau
4 It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt  http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html
5 Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.    Thomas Jefferson
6 The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.    Socrates
7 Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.    Isaac Asimov
8 When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.    Abraham Lincoln
9 The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.    Douglas Adams
10 The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.    Douglas Adams
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Gawen

1) I write for you. So you can know who I am. Inside where the fish swim through the shallow waters of my brain.
2) With each new beginning that never was we create a new path that will lead further on in the search for happiness.
3) Necessitate the negation of ceasing to exist.

I especially like this one:
4) all you wished to know when you were eight lying on the trampoline
in the infinite back yard looking up at the millions of clear country night stars
back in the pure virtue days when you were running across hay bales and skipping rocks
BB guns and the smell of the Sunday catfish fry down by the Nolan
all you ever needed to be was the pure self you woke up to that morning and nothing else
because the truth you held was your own reflection in the water

Amberlee-unknown poet
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Asmodean

"It all ends up the same. Dust and Tears" -Thadon, ESIV expansion

"I want to be a human being, not a human doing" -J.P. Larkin

"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend" -R. Jeni

"Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church" -Uncredited

"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer" -Uncredited
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Myoslnev

Ooh. Quotes. Can't think of any right of hand.

Probably something that Shunryu Suzuki said, though.
Just plodding along.

MariaEvri

heh I have a hige collection of quotes. It would be hard for me to pick just 10
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

hismikeness

Quote from: "MariaEvri"heh I have a hige collection of quotes. It would be hard for me to pick just 10

I too have a huge collection of quotes, randomly assigned as my email signatures. I will however pull out my favorite ten.

In no particular order:

"To me, religion is like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal and I wouldn't ever take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it." --Jeff Winger, Community

"I want to hang a map of the world in my house then I’m gonna put pins into all the locations that I’ve travelled to. But first I’m gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won’t fall down." --Mitch Hedberg. (RIP)

"I'm in the cut like germs." --50 Cent

"Some will die in hot pursuit; in fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain." --Butthole Surfers, Pepper

"We stockpile the discoveries of the most brilliant members of our species, allowing us, however strained and with whatever struggle it involved, to slowly ascend the ladder of knowledge, maybe compensating for the fact that any one of us is just too stupid to figure it all out." --Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

"Love is like an onion. You peel back layer after stinky layer until you are left just weeping over the sink." --Pete Hornberger, 30 Rock

"It is sometimes said that scientists are unromantic, that their passion to figure out robs the world of beauty and mystery. But is it not stirring to understand how the world actually works â€" that white light is made of colors, that color is the way we perceive the wavelengths of light, that transparent air reflects light, that in so doing it discriminates among the waves, and that the sky is blue for the same reason that the sunset is red? It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it." --Carl Sagan

"If I ever saw an amputee being hanged, I would just shout out some letters." --Demetri Martin

"I'm not very good with words, and that's why I'm in this delicate conundrum." --Dr. Adlai Atkins, Futurama

"A person has to work hard for it, but a minute of perfection is worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection." --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Give me strength to be kind... to combine all the good things in life that are so hard to find. But I have, and I won't let them go like I do with my friends. Still hearing voices from front, from behind. They're the reason I choose when to live, how to die. When to buy, when to steal. When to cast, when to reel. And when to feign for the friends that taught me being inappropriate will give me a quiet mind." --Blue October, A Quiet Mind
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

jrosebud

hismikeness, I can't quote your siggy, but one of my favorite parts of that book is from the unnamed storyteller:

"I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?"  Why did I cause so much pain?  Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?  Can't I see how we're all manifestations of love?  I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong.  We are not special.  We are not crap or trash, either.  We just are.  We just are, and what happens just happens.  And God says, "No, that's not right."  Yeah.  Well.  Whatever.  You can't teach God anything."

Love the one about the perfect moment, too.

"Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own;
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

...Be fair or foul, or rain or shine
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not Heaven itself, upon the past has power,
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour."

~Horace
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

fiendmf

"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." - Anton Szandor LaVey

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. -General George Patton

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance." - Mark Twain

"There is a beast in man that needs to be excercised, not exorcised." - Anton Szandor LaVey

"There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth." - Anton Szandor LaVey

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else" - Benjamin Franklin

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think." Adolf Hitler

"I think anyone who has an opinion, and voices it, will offend someone." - Peter Steele

"The childhood shows the man, as morning shows the day" - John Milton
"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

hismikeness

Quote from: "jrosebud""I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?"  Why did I cause so much pain?  Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?  Can't I see how we're all manifestations of love?  I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong.  We are not special.  We are not crap or trash, either.  We just are.  We just are, and what happens just happens.  And God says, "No, that's not right."  Yeah.  Well.  Whatever.  You can't teach God anything."

:hail: Also a good one!
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Raithie

Oh yay - quotes! I just made a list of atheist quotes on my blog.

1. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

That's got to be one of my all time favourites.

2. "Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color." - Don Hirschberg

3. Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - Benjamin Disrael

4. A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. - Mark Twain

5. Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater Ravus

I'm too tired to think of non-atheistic quotes right now. That'll have to do =)

Sophus

I have many dear aphorisms. Need they all be religion related?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Sophus

He who thinks a great deal is not suited to be a party man: he thinks his way through the party and out the other side too soon.

He who is punished is never he who performed the deed. He is always the scapegoat.

Even the most beautiful scenery is no longer assured of our love after we have lived in it for three months, and some distant coast attracts our avarice: possessions are generally diminished by possession…

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.

We are always in our own company.

Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings â€" always darker, emptier, simpler.

What is the seal of liberation? â€" No longer being ashamed in front of oneself.

The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. With people with only modest ability, modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent, it is hypocrisy.

Happiness is not always the best way to be happy.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tom62

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
I can only please one person each day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow don't look good either.
We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!”
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of nothing, "blasphemy"is the most amazing â€" with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" fighting it out for second and third place.
Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

I know most of those quotes off hand:

Quote from: "Tom62"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss. - Lazarus Long
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - D.N.A.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. - Arthur C. Clarke
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...' - Isaac Asimov
I can only please one person each day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow don't look good either. - I dunno
We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!” - Monty Python's Holy Grail
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. - I dunno, I use it a lot
Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated out of nothing, "blasphemy"is the most amazing â€" with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" fighting it out for second and third place. - Lazarus Long
Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. - Robert A. Hainlein
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.