News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Evolution

Started by Childofgod, May 30, 2010, 01:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "kaithiwilliam"Hello
I need to find someone either to interview or something to use as a primary source for my research essay on if evolution is a science or a religion. If no where I can go to ask an expert or if someone here I can e-mail interview questions to that would be great.Pleas help me what should I do.Thank You.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ultima22689

How can evolution be regarded as a religion, it's a SCIENTIFIC THEORY, what is that about? I don't even... OUCH. My brain, it hurts, I think trying to comprehend that equated to a week of binge drinking. Why does it seem kike religious people want  to equate science and/or atheism to a religion? I don't get it, science is not a damn book. Wait, I don't need to explain science here but you guys get what i'm saying. The only argument I ever heard that I could loosely agree with about some forms of Buddhism being counting atheism as a religion since forms of it are exclusively atheistic but it annoys the shit out of me when someone tells me atheism is the same thing as Christianity because I  have to believe there is no God but people seem to keep forgetting the fact i'm just not making an assumption, you never assume the positive as we all know the burden of proof is always on the positive.

Davin

I need to find someone either to interview or something to use as a primary source for my research essay on if evolution is a science or a religion. If no where I can go to ask an expert or if someone here I can e-mail interview questions to that would be great.Pleas help me what should I do.Thank You.
Make a new thread with your interview questions and whomever wishes to respond to them, will respond to them. However, I really don't see why you need to do a research paper on a topical question that is so easily answered: You only have to research as far as defining what science is and what religion is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Davin"
Make a new thread with your interview questions and whomever wishes to respond to them, will respond to them. However, I really don't see why you need to do a research paper on a topical question that is so easily answered: You only have to research as far as defining what science is and what religion is.

That's just the thing mate. People do actually debate this, passionately. it's hilarious, read this entire thread and watch as your jaw slackens:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=94078

The intellectual gymnastics here simply to put atheism in with religion is astounding.

JoElite

Quote from: "Sophus"Evolution doesn't always go in one direction. Many elephants in Africa are developing smaller tusks due to poachers.
The thing about evolution is that its not always 100% sure that it'll be positive ''mutations'' to put it simple for you, Evolution experiments, it tries out all sort of crazy things, all mutations in humans are also just evolutionary experiments, if it suddenly became a good thing to be blind then evolution would want to know about it, so it keeps itself updated on what mutations are bad and what mutations are good.
( even though im explaining evolution with some kind of consciousness, it doesnt have one. ) So basically, if indeed elephants tusks are getting smaller it is because evolution is experimenting, not ALL elephants tusks are getting smaller so, basically this argument is silly... AND AND AND.. if what your saying is to be true you must first accept evolution.. Which you seem to not want to..[/size]
It's easier to be born again than to grow up!

Ellainix

Quote from: "Childofgod"You cannot falsify God.  It adapts to any evidence discovered because God supports a worldview, which is creationism.  It adapts by concocting terms that attempts to explain an unobserved event, such as convergence, analogous, panspermia, atavism, incompleteness, conserved, trait replacement,  trait loss, lamarkism, rainbows, etc.  Trust me, you can't falsify it.

Any evidence that is contrary to what was predicted is when you read in a peer reviewed journal and says "God is amazing", "Satan is testing me", or "God moves in mysterious ways", and it happens exactly as programmed.  But to give some examples, many decades creationists believed that DNA was...well, LEGO blocks.  And it made sense and was a good argument against Evolution if you were talking to anyone with nothing more than a high school diploma.  But they were wrong.  Another example would be that the molecular data would match fairly well with the fossil record.  Well it didn't do so well, but to save a theory, they use cladistics and then go with "incomplete fossil record".  Another would be that single celled organisms were simple.  That prediction was wrong also.

Hello there.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Squid

Quote from: "JoElite"
Quote from: "Sophus"Evolution doesn't always go in one direction. Many elephants in Africa are developing smaller tusks due to poachers.
The thing about evolution is that its not always 100% sure that it'll be positive ''mutations'' to put it simple for you, Evolution experiments, it tries out all sort of crazy things, all mutations in humans are also just evolutionary experiments, if it suddenly became a good thing to be blind then evolution would want to know about it, so it keeps itself updated on what mutations are bad and what mutations are good.
( even though im explaining evolution with some kind of consciousness, it doesnt have one. ) So basically, if indeed elephants tusks are getting smaller it is because evolution is experimenting, not ALL elephants tusks are getting smaller so, basically this argument is silly... AND AND AND.. if what your saying is to be true you must first accept evolution.. Which you seem to not want to..[/size]

1) Why the enormous size?

2) I'm pretty certain Sophus was attempting to give an example to show that evolution is not a process limited to one specific direction such as toward larger body sizes or more complex organisms or that it is goal oriented such as the argument that humans are the ultimate evolutionary goal.

3) Last time I checked, it was CoG who was laying out the criticisms against evolutionary theory and Sophus was defending the theory.

4) Why the enormous size?

TheJackel

Creationists are silly little wabbits.. Besides, ultimately evolutions will destroy creationism in the end because Humans will either evolve as time passes or vanish into extinction.. And that is something creationists will ultimately get slapped in the face with. ;)

Sophus

roflol Thank you Squid. I don't know why I am only now seeing this thread again. How did I get mistaken for a Creationist? Wonder how much other stuff like this happens that I end up missing altogether....
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Sophus"How did I get mistaken for a Creationist?

Hahaha, yeah that's crazy.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Squid

Quote from: "Sophus"roflol Thank you Squid. I don't know why I am only now seeing this thread again. How did I get mistaken for a Creationist? Wonder how much other stuff like this happens that I end up missing altogether....

No problemo.  I miss threads too and start to comment and realize that it was nearly 6 months ago... :blink: