News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Cecilie, May 22, 2010, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mama_ape

Just finished Memoirs of Cleopatra and have begun From a Buick 8 by Stephen King
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

FTLebanon

I've just finished Richard Dawkins' incredible book "The Greatest Show on Earth".. I would really recommend it to anyone who's interested in reading about what makes evolution such a wonderful theory and about the many facts and evidences that are there for all of us to check out but which are overlooked by all those closed-minded creationists.
Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"

http://freethinkinglebanon.blogspot.com/

MariaEvri

I'm currently re-reading the fellowship of the rings.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

kenh

Currently reading Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint.  I've been warned not to read  P.K. Dick books back-to-back, due to the schizophrenic and mind-boggling nature of his writings.  Having just read his Martian Time Slip novel, I may start posting a little more disjointedly than usual...  :D

Tank

Quote from: "FTLebanon"I've just finished Richard Dawkins' incredible book "The Greatest Show on Earth".. I would really recommend it to anyone who's interested in reading about what makes evolution such a wonderful theory and about the many facts and evidences that are there for all of us to check out but which are overlooked by all those closed-minded creationists.
It's a good book but this one Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne is a little better. More facts, less polemic and a little better structure.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fiendmf

Currently I'm undertaking the book entitled Mind Penetration: The Ancient Art of Mental Mastery. Excellent read thus far.
"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Cecilie

'Fractured' by Karin Slaughter. It's a crime novel. I never read crime novels, unless maybe on easter.
The world's what you create.

Tanker

Just started "the Change" serries by S.M. Stirling (well the second serries aperently the first I think is call "the Nantucket" serries) Seems pretty good...in a post apocalyptic sort of way. First book is called "Dies The Fire"
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

KDbeads

I have decided to read my copy of Dies the Fire finally.... have 4 books in front of it though, probably won't get to it for a week.....  Hubby tried reading it but never got past the first couple of chapters.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tanker

Quote from: "KDbeads"I have decided to read my copy of Dies the Fire finally.... have 4 books in front of it though, probably won't get to it for a week.....  Hubby tried reading it but never got past the first couple of chapters.

Yeah it's been on my "too read" list for a couple months just sitting on the shelf. It's been good so far, I'm about halfway through now. I have to admit I'm probably biased because it takes place in my home state so It kinda drives the visuals home for me.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Tom62

I'm reading a couple of books in parallel:
- Jack Williamson's "Beachhead"
- Stephen King's "Under the Dome"
- Josh Clarke's "iWork 09: The Missing Manual".

After that I'm looking forward to read Stieg Larsson's "Millenium Triology".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

The Black Jester

I have a frustrating inability to read one book at a time.  So I'm also reading several in parallel:

The Origin of Species
The God Delusion
The Emotional Construction of Morals (Jesse Prinz)
The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach (Christoph Koch)
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

thelittlefinch

QuoteBlink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
Great book! I also loved his other book, The Tipping Point. I'm waiting for Outliers to come out in paperback because I really don't want to spend more money on a hardcover - I'm still a broke college student!

QuoteI'm waiting on a box of Kurt Vonnegut that should have been here today but the tracking number still says DFW
Haha, me too! I read Breakfast of Champions and decided that I had to have the rest of his book (or at least the ones I found for pennies on Amazon.com!)

Currently reading:

With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge (found it in my boyfriend's stash and realized it was the same Sledge from HBO's The Pacific. I had to steal it from him!)

The God Delusion
live a good life.

MrDavidBowers

It took me a while, but I just read God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens. Awesome!!!!

Cecilie

Well, this thread has been dead for a while.
Anyway, I'm reading The Shining by Stephen King. You may have heard of it.  :P
The world's what you create.