News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Cecilie, May 22, 2010, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecilie

Similar to "What Are You Listening To". I've been wondering why nobody has posted this topic before.

I am currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

EDIT: You could also tell me your favorite book thus far.

:-)
The world's what you create.

pinkocommie

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0375424474
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Sophus

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

MariaEvri

reading the invinsible man by h. g. wells
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

Under the Dome - Stephen King
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

KDbeads

I'm waiting on a box of Kurt Vonnegut that should have been here today but the tracking number still says DFW  :mad:
Just finished City of bones and Wheel of the Infinite, Martha Wells.
Picked up at the thrift store yesterday:
The woodworker's bible-Percy Blandford
Complete guide to texas gardening - Neil Sperry
The wood wright's Eclectic Workshop - Roy Underhill (this is a major score!!  it's out of print and getting hard to find)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

EssejSllim

The Cider House Rules - John Irving
Thus spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Also recently finished Watchmen
"How terrible [the theory of evolution] will be upon the nobility of the old world. Think of their being forced to trace their ancestry back tot he duke Orang Outang or the Princess Chimpanzee." -Robert Ingersoll

"What? Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Rastelin

Currently reading Terry Pratchett - Unseen Academicals

Favorite book Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion
A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

hismikeness

I just finished Dexter By Design by Jeff Lindsay.

I am currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Very reccommended thus far.

My favorite book is either Fight Club by Chuck Pahlaniuk or Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

AlP

I'm reading Fundamentals of Corporate Finance by Ross, Westerfield and Jordan. It contains efficient market baloney but is otherwise interesting.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

jrosebud

I just finished Diary by Chuck Palahniuk in the wee hours of the morning.  I've read three of his other books - Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and Choke - within the past couple of weeks.  Good stuff.

My favorite quote of his so far:

"Nothing of me is original.  I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."  (from Invisible Monsters)
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Squid

Since I've been working for a long while now with journal articles, technical reports, monographs and the like I think it's time I finally picked up something to read for my own enjoyment.  I'm not sure what though.  I have an emergency medicine text I bought not too long ago but I also have a bunch of books that have been sitting on my shelf for some time that I have yet to read.  For instance, I picked up Dennett's "Freedom Evolves" when it first came out in 2003 - haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  However, the behavioral endocrinology text I bought a while ago is enticing as well...so many choices...

What am I reading?  Nothing at the moment, because I can't seem to decide  :D

pinkocommie

Quote from: "jrosebud"I just finished Diary by Chuck Palahniuk in the wee hours of the morning.  I've read three of his other books - Invisible Monsters, Survivor, and Choke - within the past couple of weeks.  Good stuff.

My favorite quote of his so far:

"Nothing of me is original.  I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."  (from Invisible Monsters)

When I was younger, I LOVED Invisible Monsters.  Reading that book inspired me to shave my head after I realized what a huge part my own vanity played in my negative self image.  That was almost 10 years ago though.  I have hair and a pretty good self image now.   :bananacolor:

Also, my favorite books include -

Anything by my hero, Kurt Vonnegut.  I love that man's writing, regardless of the story.
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Sewer, Gas, and Electric by Matt Ruff
Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion, and the Battle for America's Soul by Edward Humes
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

harriedheretic

I'm reading the "Red Mars" trilogy

QuoteThe Mars trilogy is a series of award-winning science fiction novels by Kim Stanley Robinson that chronicle the settlement and terraforming of the planet Mars through the intensely personal and detailed viewpoints of a wide variety of characters spanning almost two centuries. Ultimately, more utopian than dystopian, the story focuses on egalitarian, sociological, and scientific advances made on Mars, while Earth suffers from overpopulation and ecological disaster.

The science is incredibly good, and the relationships among the settlers on Mars is very plausible. The realism is extremely well done.

Tank

Currently.

Origin of Species.
Zima Blue, short Si-Fi stories by Alistair Reynolds
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.