News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Overwhelmed.

Started by Cecilie, April 06, 2010, 08:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happynewyear

Quote from: "Heathen's Guide"I always find it entertaining that people don't recognize Tai Chi and Qigong as religions.  They are.  They're not patriarchal Yahweh cults like those we see in the west, but they still require faith in unknowns, and belief in things that are not provable.  Substituting these for western religions is really a lateral move, not a move away from religion.

Quote from: "happynewyear"Try meditation or Tai Chi or spring forest Qigong.
Get out in nature forests or the ocean are best.
Take up cycling or hill climbing.
"Don't let it bring you down, it's only castles burning, find someone who's turning and you will come around."

Now you are being silly. I have never heard of the religion tai chi or qigong, next you will be saying that taking a walk on the beach is a religion.

Heathen's Guide

Tai chi is overtly Buddhist (a religion).  

Qigong is a newer version of the same thing, but it's only been around for a hundred years or so.

Like I said... funny that people do not see it as religion.  Pretty much all meditative art is based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha.  He in turn learned the concept of meditation from the Vedic priests who instructed him.

So yeah... religious.  The whole concept of "chi" energy is the same as saying "the Tao" or "God in Everything".  It is all religion, but not North American religion.  It's origin is Vedism, but the concept is in a lot of other religions now.

[/quote]Now you are being silly. I have never heard of the religion tai chi or qigong, next you will be saying that taking a walk on the beach is a religion.[/quote]
William Hopper
author, "The Heathen's Guide" series
www.heathensguide.com
www.williamjhopper.com

happynewyear

Quote from: "Heathen's Guide"Tai chi is overtly Buddhist (a religion).

He will be overwhelmed after this.............

Buddhism is a religion, yes, but Tai Chi is body and mind exercise.
I don't what form of Tai chi you are practising but I sounds pretty strange to me.

Sophus

Quote from: "happynewyear"He will be overwhelmed after this.............

I don't what form of Tai chi you are practising but I sounds pretty strange to me.
There's a whole philosophy behind Tai Chi which traditionally was religious. Although I thought it was Taoism.  :eek2:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Sophus"

There's a whole philosophy behind Tai Chi which traditionally was religious. Although I thought it was Taoism.  :eek2:

Yeah, I thought is was Taoism or Confucianism, but I'm certainly no expert.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

happynewyear

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "Sophus"

Yeah, I thought is was Taoism or Confucianism, but I'm certainly no expert.

Buddhism hadn't even arrived in China when Tai Chi was evolving. But you are correct it did have close ties with Taoism but originated independently.

Heathen's Guide

The concept of "chi" is a religious concept.  It is an unknowable "force" (yes,like Star Wars) that flows through all things.  Tai Chi is a meditative practice designed to "align your chi" and make you "One" with your environment.  It is Eastern mysticism, pure and simple.  All martial arts are based on it.  

While some people can find therapeutic aspects to the practice, they are religious, not secular.  You can also have a lot of fun with tantric sex, but like Tai Chi it is a religious practice, not a secular regime.  Science does not recognize the existence of chi, or any other great, all-encompassing force that you need to balance yourself with to feel good.

Confucianism ["the teachings of Master K'ung"] are secular though.  At least they were before they got muddled in with Buddhism.  Confucianism is all about your place in the world and the proper way to live according to Master K'ung.

FYI... the Chinese word for "Master" is "FU".   The Chinese word for "Wisdom" is "Tzu".  So the real name of the philosophy was K'ung Fu Tzu... "The Wisdom of Master K'ung".  We just couldn't say it properly, so it was anglicized to "Confucian".

[/quote]Buddhism hadn't even arrived in China when Tai Chi was evolving. But you are correct it did have close ties with Taoism but originated independently.[/quote]
William Hopper
author, "The Heathen's Guide" series
www.heathensguide.com
www.williamjhopper.com

Cecilie

It's been a while since anybody has commented on this thread (?) and I just really let it die. But if anybody reads this I was wondering if you had an advise for a hobby, since I really have no idea what that should be.

And on the Ricky Gervais advise I loved it. I love him.

Lastly, I prefer Family Guy over Futurama although Futurama's good as well.
The world's what you create.

KDbeads

hobby?  Well what are your interests?  Do you like detail oriented stuff?  Or do you like instant gratification type stuffs?

To give you an idea of my hobbies since I'm not one of the popular people in town and tend to be ignored.....
Hand quilting
Machine quilting
hand embroidery
hand and machine sewing/piecing
hand and machine applique
beading
bead embroidery
bead weaving
writing
reading
cooking
photography
woodwork, when I can
gardening, yep growing as much of my own food as I can this year, not necessarily a hobby though, same with the chickens

If I had the money right now I'd also have a kiln for glass fusing and slumping, have the regular glass and dichro and access to the slump molds but no kiln to play with
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Cecilie

Quote from: "KDbeads"hobby?  Well what are your interests?  Do you like detail oriented stuff?  Or do you like instant gratification type stuffs?

To give you an idea of my hobbies since I'm not one of the popular people in town and tend to be ignored.....
Hand quilting
Machine quilting
hand embroidery
hand and machine sewing/piecing
hand and machine applique
beading
bead embroidery
bead weaving
writing
reading
cooking
photography
woodwork, when I can
gardening, yep growing as much of my own food as I can this year, not necessarily a hobby though, same with the chickens

If I had the money right now I'd also have a kiln for glass fusing and slumping, have the regular glass and dichro and access to the slump molds but no kiln to play with

Seeing as I am really bad at sewing and knitting and such, I don't think that would fit me. But thanks so much for your tips!  :D

Davin

Quote from: "Cecilie"Seeing as I am really bad at sewing and knitting and such, I don't think that would fit me. But thanks so much for your tips!  :D
I think it's not really what you're good at, it's what you're interested in and can relax while doing, sometimes those are mutually exclusive, like golf: my friend can't relax because he sucks, while even though I suck it's still relaxing.

Things I enjoy doing that relaxes me (even though I'm not very good at most of it):
Programming for myself
Reading
Drawing
3D art and animation
Sewing
Skateboarding
Playing sports (not a big fan of watching sports)
Video games
Running
Making music
Rock climbing
Discussions
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Cecilie

[/quote]Discussions[/quote]

Ahh. I love discussion. Too bad I have no one in real life to discuss with. They're not interested.  :sigh:
However I got offered to do some volunteer work. I might do that.