News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

10 Things About Yourself

Started by Cecilie, May 16, 2010, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Traveler on December 25, 2011, 04:33:06 AM
1.  I'm supposedly quite intelligent, but my IQ can't hold a candle to some of yours.
2.  I've been a software engineer and an artist, and I love parts of both.
3.  I have a bunch of dogs, and all but one of them are rescues.
4.  I love pizza and tacos, but they don't love me. Heartburn. :(
5.  After many years on my own I now live with my mom, and I actually enjoy her company.
6.  I'm a breast cancer survivor and am going through a scare right now, awaiting biopsy results.
7.  I spent five years living/traveling in my RV, which was AWESOME!
8.  I've been scuba diving in Fiji.
9.  I scattered some of my dad's ashes over the Grand Canyon at sunset.
10. My favorite tv show is Bones.
@1 There are many bright members here and some of them are theists!  ;)
@ 6 fingers crossed all goes well. My wife had a 'scare' a couple of years back so I have a limited vicarious understanding of what you're going through.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Traveler

Quote from: Tank on December 25, 2011, 07:24:55 AM
@1 There are many bright members here and some of them are theists!  ;)
@ 6 fingers crossed all goes well. My wife had a 'scare' a couple of years back so I have a limited vicarious understanding of what you're going through.

Thanks Tank!

I have a friend with an original IQ in the 180+ range. She's amazing. BUT, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis back in the 80s. She's doing very, very well, but if her IQ hadn't started out so high I think it would be really obvious by now. Her brain scans look like swiss cheese, and those of us who've known her a long time can definately tell the difference. :(  She is, by the way, a theist. Went to seminary and got her mdiv. One of her papers was a re-think about women in christianity. It was quite interesting. She hasn't the stamina to work fulltime, but she does a lot of volunteer work at her church.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Chronos

Quote from: Tank on December 25, 2011, 07:21:04 AM
When my wife left school at 16 she went to the London College of Fashion where she learned to be a hairdresser, a skill she never used. However she went on to get a couple of degrees and a PhD in psychology related areas.

She should do hair and therapy at the same time, earn $300/hour and not have to write down anything at all.

Religion is a pyramid scheme with 501c3 tax-free status.

Tank

Quote from: Chronos on December 25, 2011, 04:33:00 PM
When my wife left school at 16 she went to the London College of Fashion where she learned to be a hairdresser, a skill she never used. However she went on to get a couple of degrees and a PhD in psychology related areas.

She should do hair and therapy at the same time, earn $300/hour and not have to write down anything at all.

My wife is much more academic than commercial!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on December 25, 2011, 05:03:27 PM
Quote from: Chronos on December 25, 2011, 04:33:00 PM

My wife is much more academic than commercial!

You know, Chronos has a pretty good idea. Barber shops and beauty shops are places where people talk.  Your wife could put her patient at ease, fix her hair, and then find out what's really bothering her.  This has some potential.  She could call it "Thairapy."  Her business could be called "The Thairapy House."  

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 25, 2011, 05:09:24 PM
Barber shops and beauty shops are places where people talk.  

Barber shops?
I remember them, with their whining shears merely a slight slip away from taking off an ear.
Why does having pointy steel whizzing past your eye induce calm confession?
Or is it actually the babbled ravings of fear?
Is the inducement of fear intentional, so even the worst haircut will be accepted with relief?

I'd prefer to remain quiet and let them concentrate on what they're doing.

lomfs24

Hmmmm,..... Let's think of 10 things you might want to know about me.

1. Born in Montana, finished High School in Oregon, moved back to Montana, moved to New Mexico for a couple years and now live in Kansas.
2. I have no phobias except Phobophobia.
3. I have a pretty good sense of humor and some people have a difficult time deciding whether I am serious or not. (See #2)
4. I like outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc...
5. I am an EMT and a firefighter.
6. My day is shot if I don't get at least one good cup of coffee in the morning.
7. I love cats, but am allergic to them so do not have any.
8. I like to read but have very little time to read books. Usually takes me a couple weeks to get through a book.
9. I have no major illnesses that I know of yet.
10. Recently began to doubt my belief in God, my wife is OK with not going to church but is digging her heels in with giving up God. And that's why I am here. To learn more about what I have never been told in my life.

Ali

1. I make the best chili ever.
2. I've seen Raushan Hammond (Thud Butt from Hook) naked.
3.  My favorite comedian is Louis C.K.
4.  I'm half Mexican but unfortunately I speak relatively little Spanish.
5.  Optimus Prime was my first celebrity crush.
6.  I speak French.  A little.  Anyway, I took it in school.
7.  I LOVE puns.
8.  I'm addicted to iced coffee.
9.  I speak a little Hebrew.
10.  My favorite movie is Overboard with Goldie Hawn.

Xiilent

1. I'm an introvert. I don't like to talk but I love listening to people (as long as they are intelligent).
2. I collect all kinds of swords, knives, daggers. I've got a sword taller than me (I'm 6 ft. 2 in.)
3. I love gaming. World of Warcraft especially. But i don't consider myself a geek or nerd, etc.
4. I love the military. Can't wait to join. Been to marine corps boot camp for a week as an "orientation".
5. Off and on with a girl for over 2 years. Was going fine till she cheated on me. But I believe thats finally over with. (i ended it).
6. Cars. Cars. Cars, i love them. Imports. I've got an '02 Celica which I love (and have done quite a bit of modding to it.) Sadly its FWD though and I'm hoping to get a RWD car soon so i can take it drifting.
7. The first day my license was valid thought i was fast and furious and drove my car onto a curb head on at 30 mph and broke my control arm. However, since then, i've loved working on and fixing my car.
8. My best friend is a hardcore christian, but we make jokes about each others beliefs all the time.
9. Believe I'm more independent than others. I think I handle my problems better than most people my age.
10. I play guitar. I love to play nevershoutnever songs. They are easy but fun.
(Cause I want to add more) 11. Howard Bloom is my idol.

Cecilie

Quote from: Xiilent on December 31, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
9. Believe I'm more independent than others. I think I handle my problems better than most people my age.

And what may your age be, if you don't mind me asking.
The world's what you create.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Xiilent on December 31, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
2. I collect all kinds of swords, knives, daggers. I've got a sword taller than me (I'm 6 ft. 2 in.)

How long a sword could you keep on your back (like Zena) and be able to draw it?
How come when people on film, when they draw their sword from a leather sheath it makes a metal on metal/stone sound?  Do they have some self sharpening device in those sheaths?
Did Asmo once carry a sword on his back and that's why he now has no ears?

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 01, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
How long a sword could you keep on your back (like Zena) and be able to draw it?
Depends on the type of sheathe. With the right one, you could likely draw a Zweihander from your back.

How come when people on film, when they draw their sword from a leather sheath it makes a metal on metal/stone sound?  Do they have some self sharpening device in those sheaths?
Steel or iron reinforcement helps keep the sheathe form-stable

Yes... And a few other sharps were responsible for The Asmo not having a neck or pretty much anything else either.  :(

BUT with some cow poo and some seeds from the mall gardening section, The Asmo did manage to get a full head of hair.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Melmoth

Quote from: Xiilent2. I collect all kinds of swords, knives, daggers. I've got a sword taller than me (I'm 6 ft. 2 in.)

You are officially Sephiroth. ;)
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Stevil

Excel academically
Excel athletically
Extremely shy
Married with children
Love traveling
Love spicy food (have never found any food too hot)
Love boxing and cricket
Love playing guitar
Love guitar heavy music (especially heavy metal)
Love spending time by myself

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on January 01, 2012, 03:45:45 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 01, 2012, 12:08:52 AM
Depends on the type of sheathe. With the right one, you could likely draw a Zweihander from your back.

How come when people on film, when they draw their sword from a leather sheath it makes a metal on metal/stone sound?  Do they have some self sharpening device in those sheaths?
Steel or iron reinforcement helps keep the sheathe form-stable

Yes... And a few other sharps were responsible for The Asmo not having a neck or pretty much anything else either.  :(

BUT with some cow poo and some seeds from the mall gardening section, The Asmo did manage to get a full head of hair.

Speaking of swords...
Asmo, do you still have my Shirasaya katana?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-